On the Definition of an Inertial Frame of Reference

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Eugene Shubert, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Eugene Shubert Valued Senior Member

Not exactly.

Excuse me przyk. While your calculation in post #338 is technically correct, with the exception of at least one typo that I've noticed, you have clearly demonstrated that you don't understand the physical meaning of my generalized Lorentz-equivalent transformation equations.

Equations (54)-(55) connect the event (x,t) in frame \(i\) having synchronization \( S_i\) to the same event recorded as (x',t') in frame \(j\) having synchronization \( S_j\). You assumed that my coordinate-dependent synchronization schemes are identical in all inertial frames of reference. That is a big mistake.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tach Banned Banned

LOL. Eugene, your theory is "fucked" , your synchronization function is an absurd function of the prime coordinate \(S_j=S_j(x')\) resulting into metric coefficients that are both functions of x and x', \(g_{ij}=g_{ij}(x,x')\). Not only mathematically incorrect but also unphysical.

LOL. Your cardhouse is coming down.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tach Banned Banned

You are not paying attention, there are TWO synch functions in Shubert demented theory.

Not my problem that you are a stupid jerk who can't follow my math and insists in misinterpreting the posts. Math speaks a lot clearer, next time follow the math.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

I was wondering what those indices were supposed to represent. But as Alphanumeric explained to Tach several times, no-one is really interested in the details of your transformation. In the most interesting case, you were using the same function S every time, and then \(\theta\) would have taken the Minkowski metric to a metric of the form I posted earlier, whose components your transformation would have left invariant. If that isn't true, then at best all you have is a special case of the generally covariant formulation of relativity.

8. Tach Banned Banned

Yet you should, in order to get your math correct. If you did that, you would have recovered the correct answers that I have already posted. As it stands, you just wasted your time.

9. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

So? Substitute \(S^{\prime}(y) \,\mapsto\, S^{\prime}_{j}(y)\) and \(S^{\prime}(x) \,\mapsto\, S^{\prime}_{i}(x)\) in the derivation I gave you. Same result: \(J_{C_{ij}} \,=\, 1\).

10. Tach Banned Banned

You missed the point that \(g_{ij}=g_{ij}(x,x')\).
    You missed the point that the synch function \(S_j=S_j(x')\) which is unphysical.

11. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

What correct answer that you posted? All you had to say about the Jacobian determinant was:
    As I've shown, it is 1. Adding indices to S doesn't alter the result. \(J_{C_{ij}} \,=\, 1\).

12. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Where, presumably, x' = x'(x, t). So the metric is still a function of x and t.

Hardly an issue, since I never claimed Eugene's transformation represented anything physical.

13. Tach Banned Banned

Are you daft? The elements of the jacobian are functions of coordinates in both frames of reference : \(g_{ij}=g_{ij}(x,x')\). Who gives a shit after that?

In other words you agree that the theory is unphysical and that whatever results it produces are irrelevant? Exactly my point , all along.

14. Eugene Shubert Valued Senior Member

Actually, my approach to special relativity is more general than the generally covariant formulation of special relativity. My synchronization functions need not be smooth or even continuous. Furthermore, my minimal axiom set permits superluminal coordinate transformations. That's the next big step that I plan to elaborate on in my paper.

15. Tach Banned Banned

Don't be an idiot, they need to be differentiable (not that it matters in your case since the transform is unphysical to begin with). How else would you even have a hope of constructing a jacobian.
    The problem with your two synch functions is that they are unphysical, as is your whole theory. So, no one gives a shit.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As I disinterested observer, I'm seeing a lot of chest-puffing here, which is leading to an extended argument over not much.

This is correct, but disingenuous.

As has been clearly pointed out to you, Tach, the Christoffel symbols are non-zero in polar coordinates, even in flat spacetime.

You clearly made a general statement that flat spacetime implies that Christoffel symbols are zero in all coordinate systems.

Now, do you want to keep thumping your chest, or admit that you made a mistake? An inability to admit when you're wrong only has the effect of lowering your academic standing in most people's eyes, you know.

So: apology to prometheus and others who corrected you? Or most egotistical posturing? What's it to be?

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Oh, and another word of advice, Tach.

Ridicule is not a strong form of argument. It just makes you look small and young. Try dealing with the substance. Attack the argument, not the man. You'll look a lot more mature and gain more respect that way.

18. brucep Valued Senior Member

Read the paper linked in post #322 and explain how real gravitational effects are introduced into an inertial frame of reference as an artifact of choice of coordinate system?

19. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

brucep: explain how a material particle can experience a force acting on it in an inertial frame of reference.

I think Tach is up the creek again, with the Christoffel symbols all being zero thing. In fact, most of the components of the Christoffel symbols can be zero, but the symbols themselves don't "vanish", that doesn't make much sense if you think about it. It would mean there is a flat spacetime where no acceleration is "allowed" (??)

20. Tach Banned Banned

Let me make it clear to you, the fact that the Christoffel symbols are non-zero in polar coordinates has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion in this thread, it is just a red herring introduced by prometheus. I called him on it, yet he persisted banging on the pot. On the other hand, the paper cited earlier that shows that zero Christoffel symbols is a necessary and sufficient condition for describing inertial frames in flat spacetime has everything to do with the discussion since it shows that Guest254 hijacked the thread with yet another red herring that I've exposed as such. may I suggest that you read the whole thread before passing judgement? The whole diversion into the general covariance is the ultimate example of thread hijack.Eventually the thread settled to my original claim, that Shubert's theory does not have a valid metric. Heck, the theory can't even calculate a velocity composition formula. These are valid points, the stuff that prometheus and Guest254 isn't.

21. brucep Valued Senior Member

22. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

The only spacetime where acceleration doesn't occur is Minkowski with lightlike geodesics. That is, one where the only particles have constant velocity and zero mass.

The real universe contains material particles with mass, however. Therefore the Christoffel symbols can't disappear if acceleration is possible--note the italics--for such particles; Tach is up shit creek and I think he's lost the paddle.

23. brucep Valued Senior Member