Shoot the Darky

Discussion in 'Politics' started by spidergoat, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Head of Cow, and other notes

I believe it was in La Relacion that the Spaniards read the Requerimiento to local tribes in Latin only to find, to their dismay, that nobody seemed to care. Of course, when Coronado had the same declaration read in vernacular, the point communicated, with predicatable results.

Sometimes, Will, you have to work with what people give you, and sometimes, sir, that means speaking to them in a language they will understand. If we should be ashamed of communicating with our less fortunate neighbors insofar as it might be viewed as stooping or condescending, well, people probably wouldn't ever get anything done.

Look around the world; you can see degrees of that in practice.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. WillNever Valued Senior Member

If you feel that your conveyance is restricted by the words of your opposition, instead of your potential, then there might be something wrong with your capacity for invention. To put it another way, your intelligence may have become rather crystallized due to age.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ja'far at-Tahir Grand Ayatollah of SciForums Registered Senior Member

Are you serious? I said "MeMaw?" and another poster provided a Wiki link with an article that gave me a basic overview of the term, I thought it mean't something to this effect but wanted to make sure, case closed. The rest of this bullshit is nonsense, you're just a shit-stirrer, get a fucking life.

You're attempt at being humerous is pathetic and isn't the least bit amusing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. WillNever Valued Senior Member

8. Ja'far at-Tahir Grand Ayatollah of SciForums Registered Senior Member

Damn right.

9. Bells Staff Member

It is still amusing to realise just how much people do not get it. Even when it is blatantly spelled out for them, they still don't quite get it.

10. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Osama bin Laden? Seriously? He single-handedly brought down the towers from his high tech Cobra Headquarters using only his beard, faith in God, and directed energy weapons from outerspace. And he's a terrorist. With a beard.

Geez, do Spidergoat or Tiassa have to spell it out?!?! You're obviously insensitive. Are you white? Sounds like something a white person would say.

Obama Burned in Effigy
    Notice how utterly and undeniably racist it is???

Bush Burned in Effigy
    Notice how racist it isn't???

Bush Burned in Partial Effigy

Notice how sensible and spirited are these young, politically informed activists, voicing their opinions in what seems to be an otherwise peaceable protest? I certainly don't see any racism here.

Bush Gets Decapitated
    Good fun! Probably someone's birthday. Probably someone of Hispanic heritage.

Oh, and an extra special one...

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Outside in the Rain

Well, yeah, it's amusing to a certain degree. But, to the other, these are Americans, and I have to live with them. In more than a small way, so do you and everyone else in the world. A. Whitney Brown, of SNL fame, once explained that we could not ignore our illiterate neighbors in society, for soon enough some of them will appear on the barstool next to us eating all the beer nuts and enthusiastically explaining to us how the Rosetta Stone came from aliens. And, goes the punch line, some of them even vote.

But it's not just the illiterate. We have to live with the sinister, the stupid, the misguided, the unfortunate, the delusional, and the retarded, among others. It's not that these deserve any less under the law, but when it comes to intelligent consideration, yes, they are going to find themselves frequently neglected both by people and nature at large. The basic conflict we encounter is not that they should be removed from democratic consideration, but, rather, there must be some limit on how idiotically self-destructive we can get as a society. Indeed, much of what holds this nation back, and makes us so annoying, repugnant, and even dangerous to our neighbors around the world is our egalitarian need to accommodate those who are so unfortunately gifted by nature as to not be able to cope with or comprehend the complexities of reality and politics in the human endeavor.

When you stop and think about it, the outcome is no more surprising than it is comforting. We ought not be surprised that the variously superstitious in some sense cluster together, even if in disagreement. You know, like when the LoTR kids from South Park denounced the Harry Potter crew as fags; for the parents, it might be all the same, but even the two disputing factions come together long enough to agree to compete in the same abstract arena. One could say the same about religion or other superstitions. And so, yes, the knot of superstitious and other counterfactual identity politics will create predictable overlap.

But then I think of Bugs Bunny: "Mommy! Look at the funny fish!" Yes, it's funny to a certain degree, but after a while, it feels like I'm laughing at someone else's misfortune. And while it may not always be a value expressed in cash, we must all in society pay for their deficits.

In the grand scheme of things, this particular demonstration of poor taste—the Alien Attack game—isn't particularly worrisome. But the number of ways in which people will either defend the statement, or find one way to insist that the only response is to further pile on the president as if the problems he both faces and demonstrates are somehow unique in history ... I guess I find myself recalling one of the more pathetic pseudo-love songs of the 1980s: "Haven't we been here before? Footsteps lead down to the note on the door that says, 'I can't stay here any more'."

America is as dysfunctional as a divorce forsestalled for the sake of the children. And being stuck in a 1980s love-hate song, among Tommy Shaw's worst, is only amusing for so long. If I have to be stuck in a bad Tommy Shaw song, why can't it be "Girls With Guns" or "Outside in the Rain"?

12. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Styx wishes it was the marriage of Abba and Rush. Or a deformed child of that union.

No better yet, a chimera of Abba, Queen, Chicago, and a bloodshot eye from Rush.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

sometimes an effigy is just an effigy.

14. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

The Obama Bucks seem obviously racist to me. The Chia thing, not so much. I've seen Chia-everything else, so why not a president?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Does anyone get the feeling that there are real issues which need addressing re

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

bama other than the effigies to which he, like all other politicians with unpopular policies are subjected worldwide?

Did you know an effigy of Obama was burned in Varanasi over Shahrukh Khans treatment at the airport?

16. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

It's not. It's just that some people have realized that it's easier to control the political dialogue if you pretend that everyone who dislikes Obama's policies is a white supremacist.

17. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Does it make you feel a little better if I call our previous president a usurper because both elections were fraught with tomfoolery?

My usurper stamp knows neither race nor political affiliation.

I'm just entertained by the word. And our current head of state.

And yes, I know the definition of a usurper.

18. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Oh, but certainly not a "black" effigy in a white world! Surely you fail to see the obvious?

Obama food stamps: funny video...

"What does spaghetti and meatballs mean?"

No, I completely get why people would be incensed about this. It's very obvious that racial stereotypes were used. I can't say for sure, but I don't think most conservative groups would do that or think they could get away with it. Nonetheless, they are now spokespersons for the Republicans, or Tea Party or whatever.

But honestly, the feigned ignorance at the stereotypes in the video, you must admit, is kind of funny. First time I saw it, I had a good laugh. Come to think of it, the second and third times I saw it, I had a good laugh. Other people I showed it to also had a good laugh. Of course, they were all whiteys.

"I ribs, I eat chicken, I eat watermelon!" Notice though that she didn't say Kool-Aid... she's watchin' her calories. Or maybe she's implying kool-aid of a different kind?

NO!!! You're ruining my illusion of the black/white, left/right divide!
    It's just so much easier when we can subsist on petty grievances instead of tackling complex and frankly BORING issues.

19. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Hey, don't you realize, SAMantha, that race is THE issue in America? And that until we get over that insurmountable hurdle, we'll just have to ignore everything and talk and talk and point fingers and talk and shake our heads about stupidity and bigotry and the Confederate flag and talk some more about skin color and rednecks and haters and talk talk talk, etc????

Is that the guy? That went through the naked body scanner? Or that date seems a bit too early.... hmmm. There was an Indian movie star that went through the scanner, and people were laughing at his, ummm... how to put this... gherkin? Okay, that vaguely sounds like Gurkha. A sad attempt at a racist joke. I'm horrible.

I didn't know Obama was so racist. And that Indians were equally racist! Damn!!! IS EVERYONE IN THE WORLD RACIST???

I guess the next ADL/SPLC hit list is going to have to be miles long. Let's prepare ourselves. We may have to start building court houses to handle all the defamation and hate-crime lawsuits that are coming our way!!!

20. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

false analogy. Bush's elections has the stamp of shenigans Obama's didn't. one warrents the word the other doesn't. you calling Obama an Usurper is simply a cheap political ploy that is woefully transparent.

the hell it does

than why don't you use the word in accordance with the definition?

21. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I believe this is what I posted before.
    It wasn't weasly. It was straightforward.
    I think there is a good case for his citizenship being illegitimate.
    And like I said, there are other ways of being a usurper.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/usurper
    You know as well as I do he has been accused, as his predecessor has, of being guilty according to those conditions.

WAAAAAHHHH!!!! :bawl:
    Are you implying that the "U" word is just code for the "N" word???

I feel that I am. Of course, many people think of words as RGB codes, and if one number is off, the color is wrong. I tend to disagree with that for the most part.

22. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Oh, and also, I've kinda gotten over Schrubert. He's gone now. At least some of him. Time to focus on other things.

23. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Oh, but yeah. I know. Accusations. Not valid.

Look how well accusations and substantial evidence to back them have plagued our previous POTUS. No, really look at them. Look at hard at them. All ZERO of them.

On trial yet? VicePOTUS on trial yet? Anything more than a fart about it? Saber rattling until the Obamessiah came in, right? And then all is quiet. <-- EDIT: all is quiet "on the USURPER FRONT!"

Do this :wallbang: trying to explain to me why anything should be different about our current effigy.

It takes miracles to do anything legally to a sitting or even former US Figurehead.