Abortion

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Anarcho Union, Feb 25, 2010.

?

Do You Believe in Abortion

1. Yes, its my body, its my right

23 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Yes, I Have Had One And It Made My Life Better

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Yes (other reason)

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  4. No, Wheres the Babys Rights? He/She is an American Too

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. No, It is Murder

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  6. No, (Other Reason)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mordea Registered Senior Member

Note to self: Keep liberals away from my hospital bed if I ever require enteral feeding, dialysis, or life support.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Ugh.. In Neverfly's rantings, I missed your response. Sorry.

Are you saying it is not possible? The laws can change. But whether people uphold it is another thing altogether and in that you are right. But to say that the laws can't be changed is another thing altogether.

And the question remains. Is a 6 or 12 week old foetus "a human"?

Different issue, don't you think?

It actually has no rights. The mother is merely the incubator. If she chooses not to be, then she is free not to be.

It really is as simple as that.

Nope. Because as you pointed out yourself, women would find other ways to get around it.

In that regardless of whether it is legal or not, women would still find ways to do it. Now, the laws allow women to safely abort. In the past, there was no such right and the laws changed. Laws can change again and women would take up the options of back yard abortions again if need be. Or look at other methods to abort (take up to 1-2 months of the "pill" and bring on a period).

And that is because women are individuals with individual beliefs and/or mindsets.

But at the end of the day, it is still her body.

Again, refer to above.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Truth is that no one here is having an unemotional discussion on abortion. And frankly it does look to me as if its the guys who are losing it entirely which astounds me since its not their time of month and they don't have to carry a few pounds in their belly for months at a time. I understand that you all have your opinions based on a variety of reasons but Bells isn't really goading, there may be some misunderstanding, that is probably the case but jeez she's probably one of the most reasonable of members.

I mean she doesn't even slag you guys off the way I would:shrug:

Now its like you all are now trying to gang bang her or something

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neverfly Banned Banned

YES she IS, Lucysnow. She absolutely is. Without a doubt.

READ the last few pages. It is all there clear as a bell.

She manipulated each post trying to make it appear as though I had said things I hadn't. She didn't have question marks half the time.
    And why would she NEED question marks asking me about a stance she continues to apply to me over and over and over and over and over again no matter how much I clarify why and how I see the issue.

I've referred that thread to several other people and they ALL, not one dissenting, agreed that she was practicing blantant intellectual dishonesty, manipulating and twisting and distorting.
    I can ask them to join and post what they thought after reading all the crap if you do not believe me.

She is absolutely goading. She's been trying to draw me back into it- claiming I caused her to miss a post with her rantings and whatnot.

She repeatedly took the bare minimum in my posts to CLAIM I made claims I opposed. Over and over and over again.
    Not matter how much I refuted her, she continued to do it.

If you cannot see that- You are not really Looking.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  8. Bells Staff Member

I laughed.

Oh, now it has implications upon health workers as well? Of course if we are to take individual who bomb or shoot health workers who perform abortions, then you may very well have a point.

Do you consider a 12 week old foetus to be a human in every sense of the word and should thus be given equal rights to what you have, for example?

Oh? Oh yes, the "gray areas". He's a fence sitter. He is not comfortable with being called a pro-lifer but he does not like the notion that a woman can be free to terminate a pregnancy, and thus, terminate a life.

Ah geeze, I don't know. I mean you want to be given the freedom to beat your child to death or have sex with it? Right? How dare society impose laws that tells you it is illegal to beat your child to death or beat it at all or to have sex with it. How dare they!

Let me give you a little hint mordea, if you are going to take this stance, you're going to end up looking like a twat who should not be left alone with children. Just sayin' dude.

I'm sorry. Should I be beating my chest and typing with UPPER CAPS with an argument akin to "think of the children"?

I have quoted him in full. I have provided links where he has been all over the place.

He hasn't been misrepresented, nor has he explained himself.

Read through the thread again.

He was quite clear in his questions. Neverfly, on the other hand, has not been quite clear with his answers.

The word "foist" was missed?

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well to tell you the truth I haven't gone through this whole thread. I was into it in the beginning and then was busy with the other abortion thread arguing with LG.

Hey she hasn't really insulted you only misunderstood you from what you seem to be saying. From what I do gather you are pro choice but would like for people to consider abortion more carefully which frankly I think many women actually do. She's pro choice and thinks that the deciding factor should be whatever the woman decides.

In short you two actually agree with each other on that point.

10. Neverfly Banned Banned

To be simple: If a man in the thread does not agree with Bells that a fetus is a blob of goo and NOTHING more; if he doesn't agree with her that noone else should express an opinion; he doesn't agree with her on each and every bit of her opinion--- She will repetitively accuse him of opinions he's NOT claiming and ignore all his answers while claiming he never answered.
    She will do everything she can to make it APPEAR as though he's not answering, not making sense and in error, even when he was clear, made sense and was not making an error.

It's flat out dirty and cheap dishonest tactics.

11. Neverfly Banned Banned

SEE?! YOU GET IT.

Yet she keeps telling me that I think the fetus has equal rights as the mother, that I think that a mother should die to birth the fetus, telling me to "mind my own fucking business" and that I "Have no right to express my opinion" on the subject.

Is that the behavior of a rational and reasonable person?
    No, it is not.

12. Bells Staff Member

Oh, so now I have manipulated you?

It's the internet and you are a grown man. How can I, a person on the other side of the world on the internet, manipulate you?

I asked you questions because you have not been clear. I mean, that's how it's usually done. Your notion of clarifying is to state that you're not emotional about it and then claim you are emotional. So which is it? This isn't an emotional issue for you? You weren't ranting?

Okay, this has amused the hell out of me.

Please do ask them to join.

You won't mind of course if I request the moderators check the IP addresses, will you?

Well, you did.

Actually no. I asked you questions which you appear to have been unable to answer. I then asked you questions directly about what you had said. Which you then denied ever saying. I referred to your emotional state in this issue, when you then claimed you weren't emotional, while admitting to being emotional about this.

I mean I can either attempt to clarify what it is you are saying or think you are insane or high and treat you as such. Which would you prefer?

I am reminded of my 3 year old when he says "Look.. LOOOOOOOK"..

I have posted links. You can deny it all you want. You are free to do so if that is your choice.

13. Neverfly Banned Banned

I can only ask the one that is Still awake at this crazy hour. You'll have to wait on the others.

I do not appreciate your clear and facetious implication that I am devious and intend to use sock puppets to make false claims.

The mods can check identity til they are blue In the face.

Should she choose to register will be up to her- I'll ask.

14. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Science is slow. What they really should be doing is figuring out how men can carry a child to term then contraceptives and abortions and the raising the children and all the rest of it will be their problem entirely.

Then Bells and I can just spend the rest of our time at the mall

15. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well I don't know about Bells but I lost my reason one thread ago

You have the right to express an opinion. Where did she tell you to mind your own business? I ask because maybe you were asking about her personal life or something.

16. Bells Staff Member

Lets see..

And I reiterate my point.. again..

17. Bells Staff Member

I told him that what a woman decides is really not any of his business. I told him that if a woman decides to have an abortion for her figure, for example, it is none of his business. I believe he took offense to that.:shrug:

18. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I don't know if he's still posting but what reason does he think is valid and not a selfish reason for having an abortion?

19. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Actually he wasn't too offended! Don't know if you got my pm but I was basically called a two faced whore who was basically causing global chaos because I believe a woman has a right to abortion!

I feel pretty proud of myself actually, I mean the cool headed males were losing it right and left. All Neverfly did was try and explain himself with caps and a show of being affronted. You guys are still on a civilized page

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Notes Around

To recall Justice Blackmun:

When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer.

Thirty-seven years later, anti-abortion fanatics still seem unable to reconcile this particular point. If any of them would like to settle the question, they're welcome to try.

• • •​

Laugh. I would suggest we weep that it has come to this, but still, it's better to just laugh if we can manage.

• • •​

And that's your right. Myself, I have a dryfoot policy. You make it to the world, welcome to the world. But as long as you live in someone else's body, you're on their turf.

However, as an equal protection issue, should I not also be entitled to an umbilical cord to feed me and remove my waste? It would save a lot of time.

Notes:

Blackmun, J. Harry. "Opinion of the Court". Roe v. Wade. Supreme Court of the United States. January 22, 1973. Legal Information Institute at Cornell University Law School. April 7, 2010. http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0410_0113_ZO.html

21. Bells Staff Member

Apparently if it is for her health. But aside from that.. Who the hell knows.:shrug:

22. Neverfly Banned Banned

No.
    Be HONEST.
    Let's take a look at YOURS now, shall we?

Previous to her responses, I said This:
    ALL Of these accusations and questions were made AFTER Several posts of mine that said clearly that I disagreed with such positions. I link this one because I'm tediously sorting through a lot of posts and this one is easiest to find. And the clearest.:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2514119&postcount=252

However, I REPEATEDLY was CLEAR that I do NOT agree with placing the childs fate over the mother etc.
    After my requst that she realize she's applying claims to me repeatedly that I repeatedly corrected and often was clear on to other members too- She said this:
    Which SHOULD include this:
    After saying this, she then immediately asks:
    (These quotes all follow my clarifying posts.)
    Gee... I dunno. Maybe what I JUST SAID?! Several times across several posts? One of which went into long detail and I linked here that was made Prior to her repeated questioning on htis?
    I have no right to express my opinion.

This is after this post, too.

I never claimed I would. I was clear as I quoted myself above- complete with typoes intact, that I said them cells gotsta go. I said ABSOLUTELY NOT to the Idea that the childs life weighs more than the mother. Her commentary here is a complete work of her imagination.
    Behave as I did? That's pure assumption. Behaved as I did when? Ive never faced abortion.

Claims clearly that I have no right to an opinion.

Inaccurate and totally uncalled for.

WOW!

Bells will most likely not admit fault. Instead, she will claim I am confused on the issue and she felt the need to repeatedly dog me over and over because of her description that I'm confused.

Hey, I admitted that I am not always clear. You can even read it in that ONE simple post I linked to.
    I do try, though, and to get repeatedly dogged post after post no matter how hard I try is absurd.
    It DEFINETLY makes it appear to be deliberate on her part.

Bells makes too many assumptions simply because I think stem cells are not normal cells.

23. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

@Neverfly

You see this:

My OPINION is that a person preventing pregnancy is entirely different from a person deliberately removing a life that has begun.
    (Yes-- I think that a few cells should be respected but in all honesty -- It would be for what they represent- not what they are at that moment.
    It is not a person, though it will become one. And does not carry the respect granted to a person.)

Okay so what is the difference between a person preventing a pregnancy and a person aborting save that the person preventing a pregnancy doesn't need to abort?

Then you say this:

"If a mothers life is in danger (For some odd reason) and the choice comes up to sacrifice those cells or thte mom- them cells gotsta go."

Is it that you think a woman for example shouldn't have an abortion if say she cannot afford a child or is emotionally unprepared or simply doesn't want one? Because I believe that Bells would agree that a woman should be able to have an abortion for whatever reason she feels makes it necessary and that that is what is called pro choice.

And I would think that this would be what created the confusion on what you really believe:

"An expectant mother carrying a child that decides to abort a FETUS is what upsets me."

And then this:

"If a woman learns she's 2 weeks pregnant and after careful consideration, decides she must abort- I cannot hold that against her."

Contradict each other.

In other words you are saying that you think a woman should be able to have an abortion but then you say it upsets you that an expectant mother would decide to abort. This is what makes it difficult to know if you are actually pro choice or not and perhaps the source of the misunderstanding. I mean its supposed to not be difficult to avoid pregnancy and the stats show most women have never had an abortion yet mistakes are made, life can throw a variety of issues and problems that would make one necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.