Girl, 9, 'marries' in Texas

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Orleander, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Bells Staff Member

Not mad at you.

And yes, it was a wedding. It had all the trimmings. And it was a celebration that she wanted to have before she died. But it isn't legal. 9 year old's cannot legally marry.

Dude!:bugeye:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Hello social democracy.

Didn't we already talk to you about this kind of thing?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why did she want to get married?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

because that's what A LOT of girls are supposed to want. Its how we are raised.
    Hell, I remember girls walking around with bridal magazines in high school. And unfortunately a lot of them enter marriage still thinking its a fairy tale version of playing house.

8. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I apologize. I got agitated because it is inconceivable to me that people actually begrudge this little girl this ultimately sweet desire to experience a harmless aspect of life that she knows she's never going to get to experience for real. She may want a "fairy princess wedding", but I seriously doubt that a "fairy princess party" was going to be a completely satisfying substitute. The point, it seems to me, was to give here a taste of something that most little girls take for granted will happen to them some day, but that fate is denying to this little girl.

As long as she's not hurting anyone, why not indulge her? The answer seems to be that she should not be indulged because it offends some ill defined sense that weddings should not be play acted. Strange that, as weddings are play acted on stage and screen often enough, and without any outrage. Apparently the problem is that people have a real emotional investment in this fake wedding, and I can't see why anyone would feel that was a problem.

9. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Sorry, :bawl: I thought it was real.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Aww.. :bawl:

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

bells was that aimed at the way i said that or what i said?
    if it was the way i said it, yes it was crude but i was making a point. If it was what i said just like i asked orleander what would give YOU the right to decide what she should or shouldnt be able to try (which you take for granted) before she dies?

Achole?
    smoking?
    ect ect

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I feel sad for the girl but do not like them asking for money because THIS girl is sick. There are thousands of sick kids out there and they just should ask to donate to a certain medical fund to help everyone, not just themselves. They "use " her to get money, I know they are in need but this isn't the way to get money from others.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

The money does not appear to be going to the parents, but to the Grace clinic. All charities raise money this way, don't they? They tell you stories about the sort of people they help/have helped and ask you to contribute. if you find their work worthy, maybe you do. If not, you likely do not contribute. I don't see the problem. The March of Dimes vastly overstated the risks of polio to scare people into donating to them...and the result was that they cured polio, those bastards!

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Vomit inducing, isn't it?

If I have a daughter later in life I will screen her from all that crap.

I won't get her anything to do with princesses or brides, and no baby dolls. If she asks for one when she's older, she can have one. But no conditioning her into a fucking cream puff.

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Castrate a daughter's boyfriend and she will laugh for a night.

Teach a daughter to castrate her own boyfriends, and she will laugh forever.

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Um.....what??

What does castration have to do with anything in here?

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I was just pulling your chain, VI.

...please don't hurt me. :bawl:

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Right...

Just so you know. I'm not a man hater. I don't wish to castrate anyone.

I just don't think people should be restricted to only doing things that are seen as masculine or feminine. That is just mental mutilation.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

She will end up looking like this I'll bet....

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

VI i recently found out my brothers wife is having a girl so im going out to buy her a football (REALLY football NOT soccor i might add). I compleatly agree with you, parents are the WORST people for sexisum, even to the point of the blanket they get in the hospital. If you want to see this in action, look for a baby dressed in pink and say to the parents "what a beautiful boy you have" then count how many seconds it takes for the parents to correct you

You should have been in the lectures we had on this topic in health psych and life span development

21. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Shut up

22. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Amen to the above. ^

This is also why it pisses me off to hear that every difference must be due to DNA and hormones.

Kids are treated differently literally from birth. Girls are treated as very delicate, boys are handled much less fussily.

Environment is just as powerful as instincts. A child raised by a pack of wolves will run on all four limbs and communicate by howling.

@Cosmictraveler: Why should she not???? That girl looks perfectly normal and feminine to me.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That wasn't meant in any bad way, sorry if it came across as such..