WTC Collapses

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by scott3x, Nov 14, 2008.

?

How do you think the World Trade Center Collapsed?

1. Terrorist controlled aeroplanes crashing into them (like on the footage)

18 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Remote controlled aeroplanes to manipulate a war on false grounds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Demolitions charges rigged by the government to manipulate war

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. Allah!

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. People keep flogging a dead horse!

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Headspin Registered Senior Member

would you catch yourself!
    why don;t you take your own advice:

Accumulating various pieces of unconvincing evidence doesn’t make them more convincing. Quantity does not equal quality. Shaman has a deep seeded belief in something, as with his religious beliefs, and all the evidence he finds points to that belief and it could never be invalidated. So he never sees thermite anywhere.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scott3x Banned Banned

This post is in response to shaman_'s post 379 in this thread.

That's just the appetizer. Here's the main course concerning the arguments that the WTC buildings were brought down by controlled demolition:
    http://scott3x.tripod.com/wtc/

Yes, I know, I know, you've supposedly countered it somewhere. By all means, please point out these counters.

I sincerely doubt he does. I certainly don't. I wouldn't even be surprised if some of the supposed conspiracy theorists are inside job plants.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scott3x Banned Banned

This post is another response to shaman_'s post 379 in this thread.

Headspin may not have the time, but I have a bit. I found a particularly amusing link which was a link within the first link you mention in post 185, (wouldn't open, JREF can be real slow sometimes):

Jones thinks vehicles around WTC site may have been set afire by "thermite dust." As opposed to, you know, paper.

Must be some pretty lethal 'paper'

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scott3x Banned Banned

Personally, I don't think that Steven Jones sees thermite everywhere or that shaman never sees thermite anywhere (although he perhaps believes that none was present at ground zero

). I also don't believe that either Steven Jones or shaman_ would hold on to their beliefs regardless of the evidence. I -do- believe that the issues surrounding 9/11 are very complex, which is why we're still debating them 7 years after the fact. Perhaps we'll be debating them 60+ years after the fact, as in the case of Pearl Harbor. I would like to believe the people who have put a lot of effort in this and other 9/11 threads have done so for a reason- to find out the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth and to share that truth with our fellow human beings. Regardless of what side you take, this is a noble goal and it says something of the people who put in this effort.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  8. Headspin Registered Senior Member

this proves my point that you have no evidence to support the notion that burning plastics caused the extraordinary levels of 1,3 DPP. if you had evidence you would have shown it. all you have is a guess from Swartz.

In addition, the compound 1,3-diphenylpropane- [ 1',1'-(1,3-propanediyl)bis-benzene] was observed, and to our knowledge, this species has not previously been reported from ambient sampling. It has been associated with polystyrene and other plastics, which are in abundance at the WTC site.”

so the readings were out of the ordinary, right?

1,3dpp is found in trace amounts from the degradation of polystyrene over a long period of time at normal temperatures. it appears that it is not found in abundant quantities from the burning of plastics and polysteyrene. it appears that they cannot form readily under high temperatures.

"the sources Swartz uses to support 1,3-DPP as
    a combustion product of polystyrene are not studies of
    polystyrene combustion, but of gasses released in the longterm
    degradation of enclosed polystyrene food product
    packaging"

burning polystyrene produces much more styrene than 1,3dpp, no styrene was sampled by the epa:

"the major product of the combustion or
    thermolysis of polystyrene, far outweighing others, is the
    monomer styrene. This leads us to the fact that, although
    styrene was a species of interest at 290 Broadway during
    the same time period as was 1,3-DPP, styrene detections
    were not reported in the FOIA provided data (EPA 2004)
    Therefore, it appears that Swartz’ first suggested hypothesis,
    that 1,3-DPP resulted from combustion of polystyrene,

is not probable."

swartz then suggests (a guess!) how 1,3dpp could have been encapsulated in computer plastic casings, which were liberated when they were pulverised.

thankfully ryan and jones are on hand to put an end to the alchemy of the post 911 dark ages:
    "Consumer plastics do not typically have large amounts of
    unusual organic compounds just simply ‘‘encapsulated’’
    within them."

you really should read paper you so often ridicule:
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/f67q6272583h86n4/fulltext.pdf

it is in the peer reviewed paper which has been published publicy, which you don't appear to have read. 1,3dpp is used in the production of silica based lattice to control the size of the nano-pores for sol gel nanothermates. the molten alumino iron spheres that jones has found in the wtc dust have the chemical signature for a silica based lattice nanothermate. the lattice would be silicon based, the nano sized pores within the lattice contain the aluminium and iron nano particles, the 1,3 DPP regulates the pore size within the lattice during production. the sol gel is dried and the resultant solid is the nanothermate incendary/explosive.

http://www.rsc.org/publishing/journals/CC/article.asp?doi=b310405b

The synthesis of novel nanostructured materials has
    involved the use of 1,3-DPP to functionalize mesoporous
    silicas through control of pore size (Kidder et al. 2003).
    The resulting novel hybrid materials possess silyl aryl
    ether linkages to the silica surface that are thermally
    stable to ca. 550C, but can be easily cleaved at room
    temperature with aqueous base for quantitative
    recovery of the organic moieties. (Kidder et al. 2005)
    Such novel nanostructured materials are known to have
    been the focus of intense research in the past 10 years,
    particularly with regard to energetic nanocomposites.
    Energetic nanocomposites are hybrid sol–gel materials,
    often made with a silica base, that have been combined
    with metal oxides and nano-scale aluminum powder to
    form superthermite materials
    . Much of this work has been
    done at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories (Gash
    et al. 2000; Clapsaddle et al. 2004, 2005; Simpson et al.
    2004).

"5 Hypothesis for release of 1,3-DPP and other unusual
    species at WTC"
    you can read it here:
    http://www.rsc.org/publishing/journals/CC/article.asp?doi=b310405b

it is a "fact" or an "observation", stop pretending that the people you attack use a single fact to form a conclusion.

you are cartoonising in your mind, putting the "truth movement" into a neat cartoonised charicature package in your mind, this enables you to ridicule, smear and attack those that disagree with you. you think it is cool to do so. it isn't cool. it is fascist. did you know that the FBI paid people to spit at soldiers returning from vietnam in order to smear the antiwar movement? do you understand the methodology behind false flags? can you prove to me that the death beams from space and plane holograms are genuine theories put forward by genunine people? isn't it more likely they are put out by disinformationists to discredit anyone questioning 911 ?

nonsense, what are you talking about? the paper was peer reviewed and published in an open mainstream scientific journal. always with attacking the man, never the argument.

i have no idea what you are talking about. he uses the swartz quote to illustrate and substantiate a FACT (that the levels of 1,3 DPP were extraordinarily high is a FACT). once a scientist has assembled the FACTS you can formulate a hypothesis to explain all the FACTS. The apparant guess of swartz on the cause of the 1,3 DPP has no bearing on the FACTS. The FACTS are the FACTS. opinions are not FACTS. got it?

9. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

Actually I have kept my insults to a minimum. The worst thing I have said is that Scott was a religious nut. However there is certainly much sarcasm and vitriol in my posts. This is a result of the frustration of dealing with someone who isn’t able to defend the position they have taken, so they resort to immature and dishonest tactics in an attempt to save face.

I don’t have the time either. I belt these posts out quickly on my lunch hour and I’m still always many posts behind scott. Rushing these posts out in an attempt to keep up with Scott has led to mistakes in the past, which you have been nice enough to pick up on.

..Something I have to deal with regularly.

So lets see ....
    1. You asked for examples of debunking
    2. You then attacked me because I asked for clarification when you wanted to see some links!
    3. Then you declare that none of them debunk Jones, and give some vague dismissive comments
    4. You complain that posting these links is a waste of time because you are too busy.

Play games much?

The reality is that if you are going to insult me and defend Jones you will be asked to back it up at some point.

How about just this summary then - http://911guide.googlepages.com/jones

I see what ya did there. Clever.

However the evidence for the official story is somewhat more credible than the thermite alternative.

You don’t think the fire could cause the steel to weaken and collapse? There are examples of the same thing happening..

10. Headspin Registered Senior Member

Jones withdrew that photograph years ago from his draft conference paper. it was Fetzer (the one that has written several papers on disinformation and ended up promoting space death beams) that refused to remove the picture from his website. going back to 2005, the photograph was printed in a german book with the yellow tinge. as soon as Jones recognised the picture was a light, he removed it from his draft paper. it was always intended to be supportive to his hypothesis, not cenrtal to it. big deal!

if you look at the actual link from DECEMBER 2006:
    "I am further checking whether these photos show the glow of molten metal, or of a bright light inserted into the hole. In any case, there is recorded eyewitness testimony of the molten metal pools under both Towers and WTC 7; see: http://georgewashington.blogspot.com/2005/12/why-was-there-moltenmetal-under.html"
    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.wtc7.net/articles/WhyIndeed09.pdf

11. Headspin Registered Senior Member

i don't have time to go through all the rest of that stuff, it all looks like the usual stuff i'm familiar with.

what is the strongest (non ad-hom) thing that needs to be addressed?

12. scott3x Banned Banned

I still don't understand why you think that my tactics are immature and dishonest. Perhaps, instead of insulting me, you should continue to try to explain to me why you feel this way.

That's fine. If you miss something important, I'll just bring it up again later.

I admit that I've rushed a bit myself at times and the results aren't always picture perfect. The one thing I try to avoid at almost all costs, however, is to engage in an insult fest. That direction leads to a useless discussion in my view. When I get real upset, I just take a break. I believe I recommended you do the same once when things were getting a bit rough and you may have even taken me up on it; all I know is that you didn't respond for a bit.

Sometimes I think that if I just write -one- more post with x, y or z point that you'll say 'hm, maybe this conspiracy stuff really -does- have something'. You haven't said that, ofcourse, but it definitely looks like you at times respect what Headspin has to say and I'm thankful for that at any rate. I certainly don't question that Headspin has simply been doing this longer then I have perhaps because of this is more knowledgeable in many things.

13. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

Well you are kidding yourself there but the point is that it is irritating if you are going to bring them up every time you can’t think of a response. You are using them as a distraction. Stick to the subject at hand.

Describe or specifically mention a video and the time at which there is an explosion.

Your appeal to numbers does not match credible, peer reviewed papers in mainstream engineering journals. But point me to part of a video where an explosion is noticeable.

Despising truthers isn’t a problem for me.

Ok I see. I focused on that point from his article. That's true. It’s a long article and I skimmed it saw that point. I’m not doing a full review of it. The fact that he thinks the “pull it” comment is compelling evidence when according to you, he is an expert on 911 makes me have little respect for him. If he thinks that it compelling, then the what isn't convincing to him?

In the scientific community your expertise is measured by your qualifications and experience. Ryan is a chemist who has not worked with steel. He is not an authority on steel. We can debate this point forever if you like.

If you had cancer would you go to a doctor, or someone who had “done a lot of research”?

He is not an authority on steel and his opinion alone is not evidence. We can go in circles about this one for as long as you like but it will not change the reality.

Even his articles contain flaws! They only highlight that he doesn’t know what he is doing.

The 911 movement is in appalling shape if the chemist who worked with water and the cold fusion physicist are the best experts you have on steel and building fires.

Scott pay attention -

How would you react if I said, Ryan Mackay said the fires caused the collapse and tried to pass that off as evidence? He is a scientist and he's done a lot of research.

Its not evidence is it? Imagine you kept trying to point this out to me and I just kept saying, "he’s done a lot of reading and he fits a wikipedia description of expert" ?

That is what you are doing and you will not budge for a second to comprehend this. Neither of them are experts and their opinion alone is not evidence.

I’m not saying that everything he says should be ignored, (something you seem to be trying with Mackay) I’m saying that his opinion that the fires couldn’t be responsible is not evidence. Got it?

Scott you make me too angry to appreciate any of your humor.

14. scott3x Banned Banned

This post is in response to the 1st part of shaman_'s post 390 from this thread.

The immense explosions in the WTC towers, Round 4

How am I kidding myself?

Bringing them up -is- a response. You seem to be suggesting that I bring it up when the topic isn't the 'subject at hand'. If so, can you cite an example wherein you believe this to be the case?

Can you show me an instance wherein my mentioning the collapse characteristics of the WTC collapses wasn't the subject at hand?

I believe the -whole thing- is a multitude of explosions. Of the few actual collapses of buildings, none has ever collapsed in such an explosive way and none have collapsed so thoroughly. Some still images make it clearer then the video to me. Because of its animated nature, the video is perhaps best to see the squibs, however.

Steven Jones and others have debunked your allegedly 'credible, peer reviewed papers'. I've asked you before, but perhaps you missed it- do you want to Steven Jones' debunking at work?

Or atleast that's what you believe

15. scott3x Banned Banned

This post is in response to the 2nd and final part of shaman_'s post 390 from this thread.

Kevin Ryan, NIST and Underwriter Laboratories, Round 4

A lot of things. He's certainly not the only person who felt that Larry Silverstein was essentially admitting that the building was pulled; I myself did for a time. In any case, I have never seen him mention the 'pull it' comment in any of his other articles, so I assume that he has now realized that it's not compelling evidence; I believe the quote is still suspicious, however. If he meant that the fire chief had told him that he was going to pull his firemen away, one would expect he'd atleast have said 'he decided to pull -them- out' or something to that effect. People are not its- buildings are. The fact that the firechief has apparently denied he ever said any such thing to Silverstein is also worthy of investigation, don't you think?

No, he's not a steelworker. Yes, he does know a great deal about steel and the WTC steel in particularly due partially or completely to his study of it since 9/11.

Laugh

. Hopefully we'll be able to come to some sort of agreement.

Hopefully the person or people I went to would be both. On a side note on doctors, while I do believe that allopathic medicine does have a lot of important knowledge, I'm also a great believer in alternative medicine. The physician I most trust is not a medical doctor but a naturopathic one, named Dr. Jonn Matsen. He was studying to be a doctor but it wasn't helping a condition he had, so he switched to studying alternative medicine. He's written 3 books, all of which I've read. Here's the blurb on the back cover of his first, "Eating Alive":
    "Dr. Jonn Matsen developed poor circulation in his fingers during his late teens that could have led to amputation. He began exploring health and healing. Dr. Matsen became a Chartered Herbalist in 1976. Later, in 1983, he graduated from the John Bastyr College of Naturopathic Medicine in Seattle, Washington. Since then he has operated the North Shore Naturopathic Clinic in North Vancouver, British Columbia".

This is not to say that he discards allopathic medicine. In fact, his second or third book has about 100 pages of references to studies done by conventional doctors. As he puts it "Eating Alive":
    "Since no doctor, type of practice or philosophy of healing can help every patient or every type of problem, it's important that there be a variety of approaches to the treatment of disease. A person who slips through the "safety net" of one mode of healing might still have hope that another practitioner with different experiences and insights might catch them and help them back to health."

You find one minor flaw and all of a sudden the article isn't worthy of note?

You forget to mention all the research they've done on 9/11. As to whether they're the best experts, I would argue that they are the best experts on certain subjects, particularly the subject of the WTC collapses. For experts on all the subjects that 9/11 brings up, I'd turn to noted authors David Ray Griffin and Jim Marrs.

I'd ask you to present his evidence.

From wikipedia:
    "Evidence in its broadest sense includes everything that is used to determine or demonstrate the truth of an assertion."

So: If his statements help determine the truth, they can be seen as evidence.

I know that many in the 9/11 truth movement are critical of Ryan Mackey's work and I am no exception. Nevertheless, his work hasn't been dismissed by the 9/11 movement. Jim Hoffman, Kevin Ryan and C. Thurston have all debunked various parts of his writings and their debunkings can be seen here:
    Maintaining the Mirage: A Foray Into the Fallacy Factory of the Demolition Deniers

You know what the irony is? Few of the core people in the 9/11 movement are even arguing about what NIST says anymore; their work has been debunked a while back. Instead, the debate has turned to -unofficial- supporters of the official theory, such as Ryan Mackey and you for that matter, because the officials in charge of the 9/11 investigation have in essence closed shop.

When have I ever said that all of Mackey's work should be ignored?

I get your assertion, I simply don't agree with it.

I sincerely believe you should further analyze why I make you so angry. You have certainly hurt me and at times I admit that I have gotten a bit hot under the collar, but you have probably noticed that I can keep my cool. And the heat dissapears after a bit as well.

16. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

Have you read it? Do you actually understand what is in that article? You have just seen that 911review has something about the Madrid Tower so in your mind the official story is debunked.

The two claims in that article are 1. That steel is a good conductor to the heat should have been conducted away from the heat source. This becomes irrelevant when the temperatures of the steel are reaching 1000C. It doesn't matter how well it is conducting at that point. As has been demonstrated to you multiple times, the steel can reach these temperatures in even normal office fires.

2. Fire can cause spalling in the concrete. This is again irrelevant as apparently spalling was not a problem at the Madrid tower as the concrete core stayed up. I saw no mention of spalling.

You aren’t even able to defend your own position and instead just keep referring me to a page which doesn’t even contradict what I am saying.

The core columns were not reinforced in concrete. Even your own 911 article says “In contrast to the WTC Towers, the Windsor building was framed primarily in steel-reinforced concrete, with columns of concrete reinforced by thin sections of rebar. 4 “
    .. and I am telling you that is wrong. The inner core was supported entirely by the steel core columns.

Here is an article which discusses mistake NIST made so you may actually read it. It goes into more detail regarding the distribution of loads on WTC1.

http://www.cool-places.0catch.com/911/loadDistribution_v1.pdf

Your own site said so! ..As does every source of information I have seen regarding the construction of the twin towers.

No they don’t. You blindly believe everything 911review says and don’t (or can’t) actually think critically about what they say.

Yes I would like you to quote me some passages where Steven Jones has debunked him. This should be good.

Perhaps you could point me to where Jones debunked these people as well…

Right. All the engineering journals are in on it too.

I heard otherwise.

.. and where are the details of this analysis? People since then have also done analysis and their findings are consistent with the official story.

.. and…?

.I never said they were slow flying. Leslie Robertson was referring to one flying slowly if it were lost in fog....

Hey the builders of the titanic said that it was unsinkable….

Then to claim that you didn’t see any large fires is dishonest.

Or it could be something he hasn’t listed there such as a mixture of lead from batteries or partly dissolved iron (from temperatures near 1000C) or something else.

No, really!

You are seeing what you want to see.

You are being obtuse again. Why don’t you think about it? Give it a go. Thinking won’t hurt you.

People will go to the coldest part of the building, not the hottest. Won’t they?

I do actually. Its in this document though. http://screwloosechange.xbehome.com/fst/FST-D1.pdf

If the floors were visibly bowing and twisted steel was found there clearly it was hot by building standards!

Stop and think about that comment. It may have looked like only a small percentage of the building was on fire but that is misleading due to its size. The building was one of the tallest in the world. Only one floor had to fail for the collapse to begin.

Oh come on Scott that is a baseless, desperate rationalization . You are trying to shoehorn thermite into every explanation.

Which is blatantly wrong. Mackey addresses this several times through the document I repeatedly quote.

Here are a couple of excerpts.

“This is a mystification of the NIST summary of findings presented on page 273 of
    NCSTAR1-6A. Here NIST reports that SFRM would be completely dislodged “by direct
    impact with solid objects that had a kinetic energy … approaching 104 to 105 ft-lb / ft2
    (105 to 106 J / m2).” Mr. Ryan has disingenuously used the upper end of that scale,
    incorporating the full extra factor of 10. However, this is irrelevant, because Ryan also
    makes the assumption that the SFRM absorbs all of this energy. The NIST summary
    does not suggest that this energy was absorbed. Instead, it says that projectiles require a
    certain kinetic energy to transfer the needed shock to break the SFRM loose – but
    afterwards, those projectiles would retain most of their energy, either ricocheting or
    smashing the formerly fireproofed building contents out of the way. The SFRM absorbs
    only a tiny fraction of this energy, leaving the rest to break loose other SFRM or damage
    the building structure. This is clearly seen in NIST’s results, such as Figure C-4, where
    the shotgun pellets passed through the SFRM, retaining enough energy to destroy the
    pellets themselves, while the SFRM – untouched except for a dozen small holes – falls
    off in a single piece. It is obvious that the only energy absorbed by the SFRM itself was
    in resistance to the pellets (minimal; SFRM is hardly bulletproof) and damping
    oscillation of the steel plate as it vibrated after being struck, prior to shaking the SFRM
    loose. Both contributions are extremely low, and the vast majority of the SFRM that falls
    away is undamaged. Therefore, the energy is not absorbed, and thus Ryan’s claim that
    the total energy of impact is too low to dislodge the SFRM is completely wrong.

“NIST does not claim that 1 MJ of energy per square meter was needed.
    Again, NIST reported, on page 273 of NCSTAR1-6A:
    Based on the observations made in the ballistic impact tests, the SFRM was dislodged by direct
    impact with solid objects that had a kinetic energy per unit impact area approaching 104 to 105 ft
    lb/ft2 (105 to 106 J/m2). In addition, SFRM that was not dislodged after the debris impact lost its
    adhesion to the steel surface in all but one test. The SFRM on the steel plate was dislodged upon
    impact of the projectiles, except for the ballistic impact at a 60 degree angle to the plate. When
    the SFRM was taped to the steel plate and the tape carefully removed after debris impact at 0
    degree, no adhesion of the SFRM to the steel plate was found, the same result found for the 0
    degree impact test without duct tape. For SFRM on steel bars, the remaining SFRM after impact
    rotated freely with respect to the bar. [267] (Emphasis added)
    The author is not presenting the above to advance a rigorous estimate of the true energy
    requirement, but merely to clarify that Mr. Ryan did also misrepresent NIST in the
    passage cited by Dr. Griffin. The summary cited above is totally incompatible with Mr.
    Ryan’s statement, again, that “NIST’s tests indicate that 1 MJ of energy was needed per
    square meter of surface area to shear the fireproofing off.” They do no such thing.
    NIST’s own summary statement indicates that it is impact, not energy itself, that is
    required, and that the energy of impacting objects need only approach 0.1 to 1 MJ / m2,
    not 1 MJ / m2 as Mr. Ryan reported. Regarding the table of energy values describing
    NIST’s tests, it is correct that most of the tests are closer to 1 MJ / m2 than the lower end
    of NIST’s range as Mr. Ryan insists, but this is no excuse for misquoting the conclusion.

1. They don’t state that in the report at all but I have tried repeatedly to get that through to you. Those figures are from the paint samples only. You refuse to comprehend anything that damages the conspiracy.
    2. If it was an interim report then it probably wasn’t “final” conclusions, was it genius?

Will you change your tune after reading Mackey's comments. I doubt you have read anything of his that I have presented.

That answer is all you have got? You wanted to see evidence; you saw it, now you are challenging me for more. You spend the entire discussion backed into the corner don’t you Scott?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  17. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

18. scott3x Banned Banned

Haven't even read the document yet but I am glad that -someone- on the official story side thinks that a little more investigation is warranted. The fact that you're bringing him up leads me to believe that you yourself may feel this way.

Anyway, will probably get to the article and the post of yours before this one i'm responding to in the not too distant future...

19. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

20. Headspin Registered Senior Member

the claim is not that those compounds are unique to thermite or thermate.

If it were the case that thermite use could not be identified in a fire where aluminium and steel existed in a building, then why and how does the the United States National Fire Protection Association require that thermite be tested for in the event of fires, fire code NFPA-921 ?
    http://www.nfpa.org/

The evidence is that of the form those compounds take. It was found at the macro scale, the micro scale and the nano scale, atomically melted together which is not the same as saying "a chunk of aluminium + a chunk of steel = thermite".
    One doesn't produce a cake by throwing the raw ingredients into a bucket.

have you read this:
    http://www.journalof911studies.com/articles/WTCHighTemp2.pdf

21. scott3x Banned Banned

This post is in response to the 1st part of shaman_'s post 393 from this thread.

The Windsor Tower in Madrid, Round 1

A fair amount of it, yes.

I certainly believe so.

911review is an official story site. The site I linked to is, as you have (correctly) labelled it before, my 'favourite' site concerning 9/11, 9/11 Research.

I've never heard that. I imagine you're thinking that the Cardington fire tests were done to simulate normal test fires? I've heard that they were done to simulate extreme test fires. And the Cardington fire tests were done to much smaller buildings.

Ah, so if the core collapses then the problem -must- be poor design? As it happens, the WTC buildings had steel frames- no concrete to be found in them. It was the -Madrid- tower that had the concrete frames. They were weakly reinforced with steel, but as I make clear below, the reinforcement was weak and the load bearing was mainly done by the core.

Alright, since you won't go to the link, I guess the link must come to you. Here's a good chunk of it:
    Because the Windsor fire produced a partial collapse, some have argued that it validates the official account of the collapses of WTC Buildings 1, 2, and 7. Because the same fire was so massive and did not produce total collapse, others have cited it as evidence disproving that account.

Compare these photographs of the Windsor building fire to photographs of the Twin Towers' fires and Building 7's fires:

Windsor fire

Windsor fire close-up

Twin Tower fires

Steel Versus Steel-Reinforced Concrete [framed buildings]

In fact, comparisons between the Windsor tower and the WTC Towers are limited because of the very different structures of these buildings. The Twin Towers and Building 7 were both 100% steel-framed, with large wide-flange columns and box columns, some measuring over four feet wide and fabricated of steel up to five inches thick. Severe fires in other skyscrapers which, like the WTC Towers, were 100% steel-framed, have not produced even partial collapses.

In contrast to the WTC Towers, the Windsor building was framed primarily in steel-reinforced concrete, with columns of concrete reinforced by thin sections of rebar. 4 The concrete pillars in the Windsor building are clearly visible in the photographs showing the intact core exposed by the collapsed facade. The very light construction of the perimeter, described [at their site], makes it clear that the core was the main load-bearing component of the building.

Before examining the partial collapse of the Windsor building more closely, we note that steel-framed and steel-reinforced-concrete-framed structures behave very differently in fires.

* Steel is a good conductor and concrete is a poor conductor of heat. Thus in a fire, a steel frame will conduct heat away from the hotspots into the larger structure. As long as the fire does not consume the larger structure, this heat conductivity will keep the temperatures of the frame well below the fire temperatures. The same is not true of steel-reinforced-concrete structures, since concrete is not a good thermal conductor, and the thermal conductivity of the rebar inside the concrete is limited by its small mass and the embedding matrix of concrete.

* Fires can cause spalling of concrete, but not of steel
    [Emphasis mine]. This is because concrete has a small percentage of latent moisture, which is converted to steam by heat. Thus, a large fire can gradually erode a concrete structure to the point of collapse, whereas a fire can only threaten a steel-framed structure if it elevates steel temperatures to such an extent that it causes failures.

22. John99 Banned Banned

no planes flew into those other buildings, imbecile.

23. Headspin Registered Senior Member

no plane flew into building 7, genius.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.