hello

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by charan41182, Nov 10, 2008.

1. charan41182 Registered Member

dear i would really like to know the best way to meditate kindly help me in the same as my mind diverts here and there and i cannot feel any experience

regards
    charan

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

best way to meditate is to masturbate/relieve tension by doing Yoga.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Just keep your mind focused on one thing. Like an image of draqon masturbating in a yoga pose.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

skaught, you pop out like a rabbit in a field....

8. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Uhhh... did you just insult me draqon?

9. draqon Banned Banned

eerrr...if I was called a rabbit in a field, I would be honored actually

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Oh! Well then the honor is mine my russiky Друг

11. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

charan-The simplest path to meditation for a westerner is to start with something you know. Boredom. Sit comfortably and do nothing. Think, if needed, say,"Breathe....Breathe" and continue this for 5 minutes or so. Practice this for awhile and you'll be hinting around at true meditation. Later you can include visual inputs or imaginings. I picture a series of candles on a stairwell, all flickering, and I have to focus on each one to make it stable and then extinguish it. I have had hypnogodric(sp?) experiences from this, but I won't go into that. Everyone's experiences are different, no reason yours will be what mine have been.

12. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Mr. Hamtastic, do you think that I pop up like a rabbit in a field?

13. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I think that you don't turn on your messenger ever. Like a pile of cheese dip.

14. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

*sigh* yeah, I will soon my dear hammy, I would right now if I wasn't soon on my way to bed.

15. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

16. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Strong drugs.

17. draqon Banned Banned

Actually I achieved the best meditation when I practiced hatha yoga: http://www.hathayogalesson.com/

just choose "yoga postures"

try first: salutation to the sun

do it slowly

listen to smooth jazz or ambient music

here is the music to listen to:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=55553&content=music

choose "deep space" one

----

What to do, you must make sure that all light is turned off...except have like a candle or small light source.

You must also make sure that you have space around you for a meter at least around you. When you turn on the music you do what hatha yoga postures tell you to do, your primary goal is to dance on one spot while matching rhytm of the music.

While you are doing yoga and listening to the music you must dream, dream of nature, sky, space...dream of yourself floating amongst the ocean, dream.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  18. swarm Registered Senior Member

“Meditation” is a bit open ended.

If you want an intense meditation learning experience the vipassana folks offer a secular and free, including room and board, 10 day silent meditation retreat.

Here is their write up and a little video: http://www.dhamma.org/en/vipassana.shtml

A less intense start is pick an uncluttered spot, place an object (like a small stone) about 2' in front of you, and sit cross legged or with your legs folded under you (or in a chair/stool if you can't sit in those possessions) and rest your hands in your lap. Then just look at the stone and count your breaths from 1 to 10. You can start with just 5 minutes a day and work up to what you find effective. You should keep at it at least until it bothers you.

The trick is to try and do this every day. It is the long term daily repetition, not any particular length, that is key.

What will happen is you will get bored and you mind will start throwing things at you to distract you. Notice this and go back to looking and counting breaths.

You'll doze/drift. Notice this and go back to looking and counting breaths.

You'll think how bad/good you are doing. Notice this and go back to looking and counting breaths.

You'll get frustrated, think this is a waste of time, have various weird experiences, think of stuff you need to do ... Notice this and go back to looking and counting breaths.

Then your knees will hurt, your nose will itch, your back will hurt, you'll need to pee ... Notice this and go back to looking and counting breaths.

Over and over and over, some distraction. Notice this and go back to looking and counting breaths.

What you are doing is building a mental reflex to maintain your focus. Eventually this will become more effortless but in the beginning it can be difficult. Its easy to see that you shouldn't dive into the distraction. It is harder to see that you shouldn't push it away either. The idea is to stop interacting with it and go back to what you were doing. This refocuses your mental energy and the distraction will dissipate if you don't focus on it, eventually.

Pretty soon you will notice you can direct your attention and you can dissipate internal distractions and sit through external ones. Pretty nice skills. Also you'll notice that instead of being bored, you can meditate instead.

19. charan41182 Registered Member

meditaion

Dear I am still practising the breating excercise for around 1 hour continue,but no results,kindly let me know how to breath the entire process ,as i coulnt exprience anything uptill now.or email me at charan41182@rediffmail.com

20. charan41182 Registered Member

meditation

Do u think it can work?

21. Ayla-Z Registered Member

Simplest, Most Direct Meditation

In any context, simply acknowledge your thoughts and perceptions and response "Not That". Let your mind drift to the next thought or perception, and again respond "Not That". You see, the thing you are after is the end of little self and contact with the True Self. True Self has no character or quality. Every thing with Characteristics or qualities is not the Thing itself, and so is not your goal. Remember that the truth cannot be spoken and it cannot be whistled either.. because it has no attributes. So any thing, any thought, any feeling is "Not That", not the True Self, not the Goal, not what you seek. Let go of seeking, when you find yourself congratulating yourself for how far you have come, respond "Not That", and when you are pleased with yourself for having remembered to respond "Not That" then let go of being pleased and on and on..

It is the purity of your intention and the simple realization that anything and everything is "Not That" which will take you where you seek to go, past the end of your little self into TRUE SELF which has many many names but no need for a name at all.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My wife has been studying Vipassana and is very happy with it. She went on one of those retreats and thought it was a great experience, although it was only five days.

I tried the first recorded meditation lesson and was fairly successful at falling asleep. That's not what it's supposed to do but I'm always grateful for a sleeping aid. I tried the second one and they lost me. I couldn't get myself into any of the things they were talking about, and even felt a little negative about some of the attitude.

But although it's a Tibetan Buddhist discipline, it's totally secular. The supernatural is not an essential component of Buddhist philosophies, even though some of them have it.

23. kmguru Staff Member

Very good advice for yoga. When I started to teach, I had about 7 or 8 various pose, then I reduced it to two or three telling the students that if they do nothing else, stay with "Salutation to Sun".

By the way, the morning and evening sun has the maximum UV-B content for producing Vitamin D without which all sorts of disease can get you. Google for latest Vitamin D reports...