Biden v. Palin: St. Louis Ribbing?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Oct 2, 2008.

?

So who won? (Wait 'til [i]after[/i] the debate to vote, please.)

Poll closed Nov 2, 2008.
  1. Biden

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. Palin

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. Neither

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Other (?!)

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Bells Staff Member

So you think she addressed the questions on the economy quite sufficiently? In between her winking constantly at the camera of course... You think she answered the questions posed to her?

And lets get one thing straight here. I don't think Palin is stupid. I think she is highly intellimagent!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

She doesn't. She was scripted. It was obvious from her deer in the headlights look throughout.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Because she didn't do a good job, she didn't answer certain questions, didn't address certain points, gave answers with no explanation,she went into little detail on most things.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The most important point of the debate to me was that Biden gave clear cut detailed answers as to the Democratic plan, while all Palin went on about was generalities [defend our freedoms, protect the American people, American ideal, American blah blah....but what exactly?] There was always talk of "promises" but no indication of what they were.

8. Bells Staff Member

Nooo.. What gave it away? The repetitive comments that would strike at key words in the question, resulting in her failing to answer them as a result?

Sarah Palin/.. Tilt head to the side and smile.. try to show back teeth.. Now sound 'folksy.. mention soccer mom.. hmmm I hear 'bailout'.. yep, what did they tell me to say about that.. oooh yeah.. that's right.. don't go into details.. shit no.. don't talk about it at all.. keep it simple and go back to tax.. ooohh yeah tax.. easy peasy.. keep smiling.. omg.. wink wink..

9. superstring01 Moderator

She didn't. It won't matter.

Most Americans won't notice or care. All they will remember is that she was smooth, polished and gave the answers they wanted to hear.

~String

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Mostly avoid answering anything and if confused [as happened often in the beginning] focus on two things

1. I am a Washington outsider, look how good that makes me. Like all you Joe sixpack and Hockey moms out there. [frozen look] Any of you can become President [I actually heard one republican woman from Ohio say Palin is ready to become President. They can't even keep track of who is the real nominee

]

2. I have experience with energy in the backwoods of Alaska, where I state that polar bears are not endangered [merely unlucky] and three legged wolves are hopping around trying to register for the democrats.

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yes she was not good on details last night. And she made some factual errors on the facts she did present. I was a little bored with her extensive cutisie behaviors. As I watched, I asked, is how would Putin react to her and all of that cutsie stuff? Would he take her as another George II...someone who is going to look into his soul?

Biden did very well last night. He kept the focus on McCain and not Palin so as to avoid creating a fuss with the Fema-nazis. In some respects he was very easy on Palin, and really that is all he needed to do last night.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but look on the bright side, she speaks in complete sentences.

13. superstring01 Moderator

Biden made at least ten factual errors. Some of them major, specifically his point about the article of the Constitution that enshrined Executive powers and the voting record on the War Resolution. I don't know her specific error count, but it has to be less: let's face it, she didn't really provide much in the way of details. It was all fluff (except, interestingly enough, in some international issues and energy)

That was her saving grace.

Putin, like all world leaders, will (if McCain is elected) respect the power behind the throne, no matter who sits on it. Think back to Queen Elizabeth or Catherine the Great. They were women in far more sexist ages. You respect the power, no matter what equipment the holder has.

Biden did outstanding last night. I've never really paid much attention to him. Let's face it: unless you're on the national stage or from "my" state, I don't get to see you much. Biden, to my pleasant surprise, was fluid, brilliant on all matters and rather charismatic. I would take him, any day, over Obama.

I'm surprised that I didn't hear him once say, "Bush/McCain" or "Bush/McCain/Palin". It's an effective tactic.

He could have been tougher on some issues without appearing to beat her up. He should have been.

~String

14. NGM Registered Member

These debates are not the place to find anything but very brief, very, very scripted replies to questions about serious, extremely complicated issues. It's similar to asking someone to explain string theory in 90 seconds so that someone with no idea what it is will understand exactly what it describes and how the various ideas within the theory intertwine. Simply put, it can't be done.

Other than seeing a very basic example of the bearing of the person being watched, the debates are a silly waste of time.

1. Did she address the questions on the economy quite sufficiently?

No one can in that time period. It's silly to even think it's possible.

2. Did she answer the questions posed to her?

She said exactly what her handlers told her to say during this farce, exactly as did Biden. Nothing new. Nothing with meaning in regards to actual world events and how they could be handled in detail.

Some of the worlds top economists are debating the best path to recovery in the recent financial screw-up. People who have trained their entire lives to handle the intricacies involved in any real effort to repair the upcoming damage to the economy resulting from this banking free-for-all. To expect anyone to supply a real explanation of evolving efforts to re-establish control of the lenders market within a brief few seconds boarders on the ridiculous.

As a person involved in very real, very intense diplomacy efforts between the USA and other large countries, I can tell you that the depth of the results of actions taken at meetings far surpasses that which is obvious to the casual observer. A posture. A slight inflection of humor. Momentary anger. Each of these things can spell disaster to a diplomatic effort in crisis management.

To judge anyone, based on this debate is patently silly.

BTW, the winks are a calculated action. The image being given with the inclusion of the winks is that of "Joe six-pack" being spoken to as a side-bar. You can believe that thousands of people saw "a real person" just like their mom or sis or aunt or...., in those winks.

Much like J. Bidens ear to ear $50K smiles and posture.

Hell folks, these types of engagements are more scripted than anything you'll ever see on TV. They have one "take" to portray an image that corresponds with their goals of what they want to show.

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Palin ruled! Palin for 2012!!!

16. NGM Registered Member

Well, hell son, yell in the Kitchen and tell your women to bring you another beer while you chaw on some of your greasy man-stuff from the BBQ.

"Fema-nazis"?

To sum the efforts of millions of women, over hundreds of years of abuse and treatment rivaling that of the family dog, with a rubber stamped label of "Fema-nazis" is a true portrayal of your shallowness and lack of education in the very matters to which you refer.

You might of just kept your mouth shut. It wouldn't have made you appear so much like a knuckle-dragging, chauvinistic, meat eater with grease dripping from your extended brow.

"Fema-nazis"?

You're deep. NOT

17. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

So it was whoever wrote the script's fault that she didn't do as well as Biden?

Well who's side were the shitty script writers on?

18. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

What's wrong with saying femi-nazis?

Are you denying there would be women who changed there mind on Biden just because the person he was bashing was a woman?

19. NGM Registered Member

It's your opinion that she didn't do as well. It's my opinion that she not only did as well, but out-did everything that Biden attempted.

That makes your question pointless.

20. NGM Registered Member

Any PERSON who makes a decision based on the sex of the person who is speaking doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

There are foolish women AND men.

Neither are the majority.

The women responsible for changing the manner in which women are treated in all aspects of society are to be praised for their efforts and the results that their actions brought about.

Those strong, educated, determined women are what have made the USA what it is today; a society where women can express their own opinions in regard to the paths of societies future.

To refer to those women as "Fema-nazis" is degrading, uneducated, immature and flat wrong.

Of course, for you to even argue that position tells me that you won't see things any differently than you've already made clear that you do now. Perhaps your children will cast off your prejudices and open their minds to reality.

21. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I'm not calling this majority that you speak of "femi-nazis".

22. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

NGM I suggest you broaden your thinking beyond two dimensions. When as in this election, it becomes unacceptable to hold women to the same standards as a man...it is sexist. When the only issue of substance becomes sex...it is sexist. There are millions of former hillary supporters who are only concerned abuot the gender of the president or vice president...that is sexist. That is a fema-nazi, and you if you had any grey matter at all, should know that, this is nothing new in this debate or election season. When you have women switching (PUMA) sides from liberal to conservative based only on gender...that is sexist, that is fema-nazism. So for you to simplify the arguement to just two dimensions (good or bad) is neoconservatism at its finest. You need to get past the six pack in front of you and in your gut and do some clear thinking.

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yeah! NOW managed to do it!