News from the Colonies - America's War in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics' started by goofyfish, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The latest heap of ....

Source: BBC News
    Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7411862.stm
    Title: "US 'stuck' with Guantanamo prison"
    Date: May 21, 2008

The latest excuse from the Bush administration:

Left at that, it seems a legitimate worry. After all, some countries probably don't want these people back. Others might do their own harm to the suspects.

But wait. While the question of whether or not some governments will take them back is fair, the idea that others might torture or persecute Guantanamo suspects isn't even on the radar:

Note that phrase, "returned to terrorism". How many of the suspects released were ever proven to be terrorists, and why were they released?

It is a remarkable charge, all things considered, suggesting gross negligence if Gates is being truthful.

To the other, the problem is that these are Guantanamo suspects.

In March, 2006, the Chicago-based radio program This American Life broadcast an episode about Guantanamo suspects. Some of it plays like the sickening farce so many critics suspect. For instance, Jack Hitt reported:

And neither Malik or Kumaz's stories are unique. The prisoners at Guantanamo are a strange bunch, all things considered.

And these seem to be the people to whom Gates refers. They were never proven to be terrorists. They likely aren't terrorists. And yet, some of them, upon release, "returned" to terrorism.

It's a shameless con.

Notes:

Chicago Public Radio. "Habeas Schmabeas". This American Life #310. March 10, 2006. http://thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1123

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Tiassa - this is kind of what I suspected all along with Gitmo - nice to see it confirmed though.

If the War on Terror was in fact a reality, and not a scam, putting "enemy combatants" and "terror suspects" through the court system and bringing them to justice publicly (even if it were just a show trial) - would win absolutely priceless PR and propaganda for the pro-war/TWOT cause - and at a time when they really needed some

The fact that so few terrorist were brought to justice, the fact that so little positive political capital was made out of the detainees in Gitmo speaks volumes

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Nice? Well, okay, I take your meaning

I'm not sure "nice" is the proper word. I mean, in the end, I would prefer that these people actually are guilty, because, while the terms of their detention are distressing enough, it is nearly unbearable—and certainly infuriating—to think of the number of innocent people we're putting through all this.

And the nearly religious affirmation of our government's presumption of guilt is at once chilling and disgusting.

I find no pleasure or sense of vindication about this nightmare. Maybe I should lighten up.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

bad choice of words on my part - perhaps I should have said something like "being proved right is something of a hollow victory"

oh yeah, and lighten the fuck up!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Tiassa's excuse; wait for it...

So, T, why don't you adopt all the Gitmo detainees and put them up at your place?

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Nice to see you're well informed. TV has all the answers for those who seek them. :deal:

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The obvious question

A Question for (Q) and Mr. G

Why not contribute to the News from the Colonies instead of just complaining?

11. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

I'm the nail in your over-inflated tire.

The Universe, beyond your local horizon, considers that a contribution to most of its constituents.

I make my points in brevity (cut-to-the-chase stuff). Unlike yourself, for whom words in volume is your argument to authority.

That you complain is an interesting counter-point. Wouldn't you say?

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  12. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Oh.

Regarding America's war in Iraq?

Advocated for it. Personally support(ed) it. Looking forward to its successful completion. Happy to have Iraqis as new-found friends.

Happy to have Iraqi friends who wouldn't give you the time of day if they met you on the street.

Now that's a contribution the Universe-at-large can duly appreciate.

13. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

People who supported the invasion and support it now are and forever will be the enemies of all Iraqis and all Muslims.

You may continue to delude yourself into thinking you are helping them, but the reality is the vast majority of Iraqis resent the destruction of their country and the dishonor of innocent men and women by US soldiers.

This is the truth, Iraqis hate the US military presence in their country just as Americans would resent a foreign military in their country.

14. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

America earns what it wants.

America cares what its ankle-biting detractors think, exactly why?

Small-d darwinism is your mommy's darwinism.

We Americans are your Daddy.

Go ahead. Take us on. Make our day.

We appreciate a good laugh.

15. Vkothii Banned Banned

But you aren't an American, and if you are anyone's Daddy, I feel bloody sorry for them already.

America is a big dream dude, it doesn't actually exist - there are no Americans, so you can't be one. You might be a self-opiniated sonofabitch, though, it's hard to say. You might just be trying to push buttons.

P.S. How long are you going to look forward to successful completion of whatever you think the mission is in the ME? When do you think the situation might stop looking like a protracted conflict that could last decades? Do you expect to still be alive if this ever happens?

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

I am both. For sure.
    Every bit as long as the ME, and the rest of the world, thinks that America should pay attention to it because it exists as something more significant than it really is.
    When the ME grows up and starts acting like adults.
    No.

18. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Yes. Yes, you are.

You can't insult the $ with a foreign currency note, dweeb.

19. Roman Banned Banned

So how do adults act, G?

20. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Why do you ask?

21. Roman Banned Banned

Because I want to see your definition. So far, the ME has acted pretty well in accordance with your values- the weak take from the strong, and if anyone bitches about it, who cares? Saw her head off or something.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It's not earning so well right now. Heading for a recession, last time I heard.

Because it likes to paint itself as world policeman and moral guide? Hmm... that isn't going too well right now either, is it?

You presume to speak for all Americans, as usual. Have you ever considered that they didn't appoint you as their spokesman? You may have a daddy complex, but don't drag your fellow countrymen into it.

I don't see too many of your soldiers who are serving in Iraq and dodging the IEDs laughing.

23. Vkothii Banned Banned

I wonder what they do for laughs in the V.A. hospitals stateside, while they wait around for an artificial arm or leg (or two)?

I bet they come up with some real side-splitters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.