Prostitution should be legal

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Avatar, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

No, because then, like in Germany or Netherlands, they would work in the open, pay taxes, etc., just like any self employed person and they would not need pimps and the mob and would have protection of the law (what they now lack), because what they do would be legal.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Kadark im with avatar. In melbourne its legal to work from registed brothals (although they changed that legilsation to alow self employed sex workers to work from home).

They pay tax
    they MUST follow the work cover legilation (health and saftery)
    health checks
    AGE checks
    drug tests
    ect

When you force something into the closet it becomes asociated with all the OTHER things you irationally threw into there

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm talking globally, not about a specific country. I'm well aware that there are countries, where it is lega.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

For example in Latvia prostitution isn't illegal, it's only illegal to force someone into prostitution.
    But it's also illegal to create, organize or lead brothels.
    So, while on one hand, you can't be arrested for prostitution, it's not a legal profession either, and because of that there are still lots of problems, because prostitutes don't get protection from the law as regards their labour rights, taxes, etc.
    They have to register and do regular health checks though.

9. John99 Banned Banned

It doesnt matter if it is legal or not, the idea of sanctioned prostitution is just wrong. I was with a prostitute one time and that was when i was 19 and only because my friends went. It was not that great either and i just wasnt into it. For me it was just something my friends wanted to do because i could go to 20-30 bars and walk out with women i already knew- no money involved. So in that case i was lucky.

But what are the ramifications of legalized prostitution? I think there is a segment of all populations that like to have some kind of danger or specifically the illegality is part of the appeal. Like a drug addict, their just going to get their thrill another way and possibly from something a little darker. Even young kids smoking weed, or cigarettes, the idea that you are doing something wrong is enticing. But what happens when you take that away? Do you unintentionally make something else more appealing? Perhaps something worse.

Then you have to view it from the other side, one side does it for the thrill and the other does it, the majority of the time, for need. And now you are opening up this opportunity to virtually all women, well not really all but certainly the disadvantaged.

I think the arguments for making it legal are being sugarcoated. First of all who cares if they are paying taxes? Also, they are not self employed and the idea of brothel owners just starting out looking for workers is just creepy. Finally, the point at which it is illegal is exactly what? that they dont pay taxes? You are not going to stop people from doing it illegally anyway. Guys leaving bars are not going to care that some woman is selling it out of her car. But of course while solicited they would think 'its legal anyway so why not'.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Just kidding

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Would you support your friends becoming prostitutes/whores? Why don't you become a prostitute/whore? I mean, it’s all good, right? Its all civilised and that.

There is nothing commendable about selling your body for sex. Seriously, what sort of a woman would sell herself? an educated woman? a woman with good future prospects? or a woman with no education, no job, no money, no future prospects? Prostitution will attract the wrong people and keep them trapped for many years.

No civilised society would allow and encourage men and women to sell their bodies for sex. Disgusting.

12. John99 Banned Banned

I agree.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It's not encouraging, it's making it controllable. Prostitution is going to happen whether it's illegal or not.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Would you want your wife to become a prostitute for her job? Would you want your husband to become a gigolo for his line of work? Answer no to either then you're against prostitution.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

That's a totally illogical and wrong argument!

Would you want your wife to be a security guard in a prison? If no, then you are against security guards in prisons?

There are a lot of professions that people would not rather do, but that doesn't mean that that profession is unneeded or wrong.

I want those who work at prostitution to pay taxes, receive social benefits and protection of the law just as any other work force, be it a garbage collector or a prison guard.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It wasn't ment to be an argument at all, it was asked as a question. Would you want YOUR wife to be a prostitute?

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

And I refuse to answer that question on the basis that you have loaded it.
    If I'm against my wife being a garbage collector that doesn't mean I'm against garbage collecting.
    If I'm against my wife being a prostitute that doesn't mean that I'm against prostitution.
    As a Latvian saying goes - each work is a virtue.

I want that those people, who choose to be prostitutes, to be protected by the law and social services just like any other workforce.

18. Till Eulenspiegel Registered Member

I'll answer it. No, I would not want MY wife to be a prostitue, nor my daughter or grandaughter. That is beside the point. I would not like MY wife, daughter or grandaughter to do lots of things. I can tell them my likes and dislikes but when push comes to shove it is their lives, not mine and if they decide to do something I do not like that is their right.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to be a prostitue but that does not mean that someone who does want to become one should be prevented from that choice.

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What's the point of getting married, then?

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So if your wife was to go to work as a legal prostitute you wouldn't stop her? If they legalize prostitution that will happen in many marriages. Imagine your wife being able to make thousands of dollars per week in wages, what will she need a husband for then?:shrug:

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Our constitution guarantess the freedom to choose work.
    It would be illegal to stop her. And that's besides respecting the freedom of another person.
    Though, if she did that, you would have the legal ground on which to ask for divorce.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd divorce a woman that wanted to work as a prostitute if I were married. I couldn't stand the thought of my wife screwing hundreds of other men just for their money. But hey, that's just me.

23. Till Eulenspiegel Registered Member

If my wife were to go to work as a legal prostitute I would be unable to stop her. I would divorce her because I wouldn't be able to live with her any longer. However, that does not mean that either I or the government should have the right to stop her from renting something that she owns.

There are other things my wife might choose to do that would cause me to ask for a divorce but that should be and sometimes are legal.

We are not talking about how I would feel about someone I love becoming a prostitute but whether or not prostitution should be legalized.

What do men in Nevada do? What do men in The Netherlands do? What do men in other countries where prostitution is legal do? What do women whose husbands are male prostitutes do?