GALLUP: Republicans Report Much Better Mental Health Than Others

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sandy, Dec 1, 2007.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sandy Banned Banned

We're happier. We're healthier. We rely on God and not ourselves for strength.
    We're different. You can usually see it in our eyes. We love God, the USA, babies, self-responsibility, and being happy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

and little dogs and children and watermelon wine

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Sandy may have a point.

The pictures above included eyes. Here's another: http://www.bettybowers.com/fl1.html

Happy, happy !

8. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Your actions prove otherwise. You slandered an innocent Mexican child by accusing him of starting the California fires. Your suspicion was based on hate and prejudice, not love and acceptance. Those are the thoughts of a mentally healthly individual.

9. sandy Banned Banned

I have no love and acceptance of illegal immigration. I DESPISE it.

Mentally healthy people love and support their country, their country's laws, and their country's sovereignity. The mentally ill/stupid just don't get it.

Criminal aliens start fires all the time:

http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/2007/10/good-news-four-illegal-aliens-burn-to.html

Criminal aliens were also caught stealing aid from the fire victims. Don't give me ANY bs about them. They're scum.

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You have only this man to blame as he stated to the criminals of Mexico to head for the USA - "Here's your sombrero, here's a map, here's a bottle of water, now get out!".

Notice that he is currently the co-president of a Christian Democratic party? hehe

11. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Yes, they are all sub human scum.

http://www.kpho.com/news/14725429/detail.html

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

13. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

yes, you're different alright. And we can see it in your eyes. Among other places.

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Lighten up gotta lighten up gotta lighten up right now (shine like the sun)

I'll simply remind you of what you already know, and have decided you know better than:

I always find it interesting how "Christians" are so willing to "render unto Caesar" when it means they get to enjoy excluding or persecuting someone (e.g., immigration)—

—but not when it means people they don't like are included (e.g. Equal Protection, gay marriage, and institutional discrimination). This kind of selfish hypocrisy has persisted through the years, and it is, after all, for the liberalizing of our cultural outlook that we are no longer burning people at the stake.

You do realize, Sandy, that Jesus Christ himself is too liberal for the evangelical base of the Republican Party? I mean, you do realize that if we lived by Christ's words, our society would look suspiciously communist? From each, to each ... from the mouth of the Lamb.

I like the way Al Franken tells it:

Just to be clear on that ... survey says!

So why not put your faith where your mouth is? If it is so important to identify oneself among the flock, it would seem that acting like a proper sheep wouldn't be so hard.

After all, pronouncing one's faith and fitness so loudly is not, as I understand it, what Jesus wanted:

The thing that gets me is that people need to be reminded. File this under T for "Thanks, Jesus, but duh!" Then again, perhaps this was foresight. Some of his alleged followers just don't get it, even when it's stated so simply. And it is simple. Just think about it for a minute: If God is all that, then ... duh! If God is everything He is supposed to be, then of course He knows what you need before you ask him. What's tremendously convenient about this is that all you need to do with your prayers is give thanks. Pray without ceasing. Learn to accept the absolute miracle of God's wholeness. All you need to do is wake up every day and be amazed at how beautiful the world is.

And something so simple escapes the flock because their consciences hurt and they need to pretend they are daily forgiven. Just do your best. That's all Jesus ever wanted. Just get along and enjoy the fact that you are part of God's creation.

Why you need to go out of your way to feel superior to anyone, to refuse the fortune of America to anybody, is a bit of a riddle. Quite clearly, these feelings of inadequacy present challenges in life, because people maintain bizarre belief structures in order to assuage them. I sympathize. I really do. You will never make those feelings go away completely. No matter how loudly and proudly and confidently you proclaim your perfection, you will never actually make those feelings go away completely. It's possible feel as if you have, but we have a name for that condition: sociopathy.

Look, religion didn't do it for me. Psychology hasn't done it for me. Drugs, in various forms legal and otherwise, have not done it for me, and they never will. And once I acknowledged that point, that nothing save death will make those doubts go away entirely, it was a lot easier to not worry about it.

I look at my daughter and it is enough to simply love her the best I can. She's a human being; she doesn't stand a chance. None of us ever did. No matter what comes, though, why should I ever stop loving her? And how do I not owe that consideration to everyone on the face of the planet?

And, you know, it ain't easy. Obviously. You know this all too well. And if I ever figure it out, I'll try to figure out some way of letting people know. But in the first place, that's just not likely to happen, compared to the odds of all humanity. And the track record for explaining what people have figured out isn't so good, either. Whether it's that people just don't get it, or that the secret is so hard to communicate, or that the secret itself was insufficient, no such assertion has ever saved humanity from itself.

It's time we stopped persecuting ourselves. And I'm sure you recognize the phrase, "Mexican standoff".

Image credit: Sun Sky Stone.

Given that it would make all our lives easier, it really does seem the least we could ask of ourselves. But I'm also aware that it's too much to ask of some people. But remember: none of what I'm telling you means you shouldn't believe in Jesus. Seriously, whatever gets you through the night. But you're making the whole thing too complicated, and that would normally be your business, except that you make it ours, and here I mean the cumulative effect of a whole bunch of believers making way too big a deal out of everything and compelling the rest of us to wrangle with superstitious affinities that only make everyone's lives more extraneously complicated.

Jesus' name could be that much closer to your heart, if only you'd lighten up and trust in God.

Notes:

USCCB. The Bible, Revised Standard Version. See http://quod.lib.umich.edu/r/rsv/

Franken, Al. Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them. New York: Dutton, 2003.

15. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

I would like Sandy to show us one, JUST one verse of biblical scripture that supports any of her hateful statements. I never knew that Jesus practiced love through hate and finger pointing. Sandy supports attacking and violating sovereign nations such as Iraq. But when it comes to others violating her countries sovereignty it's a different story. Sany is no better then the pedophile priests that saturate her Christian cult.

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

LOL. There you go again.

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Borrowing lines from Ronald Reagan won't help you much on this point. It only reinforces your negative self-portrayal to do so.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Here's a few more for you:
    How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting.

I've never been able to understand why a Republican contributor is a 'fat cat' and a Democratic contributor of the same amount of money is a 'public-spirited philanthropist'.​

My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes. ​

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Those new to Reagan need to understand something: outside of the bombing one, which was intended to be off-mike, those were sincere comments. They reflected the true depth and political understanding, as well as the actual physical circumstances, of Ronald Reagan.

And he almost certainly didn't write them. He read them, originally, as scripts.

Confusion of Hollywood movies with the realities of politics and history is one of the striking features of the kind of superior mental health enjoyed by Republicans. It's harder on the women: check out Nancy's eyes in the pictures linked above.

20. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I love that quote. I remember hearing about it at the time. It was supposed to be a sound check. But you have to wonder, was he just fucking with the Soviets? To have the US president say that, even as a joke, must have scared the crap out of the Soviets.
    People have been saying that since Reagan ran for governor of California in the sixties:
    Reagan wrote a lot of his speeches. Sure, he had writers. All presidents do. But, for example, his famous "Mr Gorbachew, tear down this wall" speech was written by him. At least the part refering to tearing down the Berlin wall.

21. superstring01 Moderator

Why does anybody care who writes the speeches? Every president uses speech writers. It's part of the job.

Peggy Noonan (a die-hard Christian Republican, like Reagan) was handpicked by him. I'm sure they sat and discussed their speeches (just like every president) and before the guy read them in public, I'm sure he read them several times and edited them to his liking.

Written by him or not, the speeches read by President Reagan (and Clinton... and Bush) are HIS speeches.

~String

22. countezero Registered Senior Member

That doesn't fit the template some would like to offer up as truth, String.

The template is that Reagan is a senile idiot who did nothing but deliver a good line, while his cronies ran amuck and destroyed the country...

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The degree matters.

Reagan in his later years could not write his own speeches (earlier, maybe some - he wasn't senile when he ran for California governor). W as Pres apparently cannot write his own speeches. Clinton could write his own speeches.

There is a difference.

There is a difference between hiring a speechwriter and inability to function without one. The difference is in knowing what you are saying.

As you say, it's part of the job.