Laura wears hijab ... and we're supposed to ... what?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

See, the thing is that it doesn't bother me that Laura does. But, as Erica C. Barnett points out, what will the conservative pundits say? You know, the same ones who ripped on Nancy Pelosi?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Now, I realize that Laura Bush is "merely" the president's wife, and Rep. Pelosi is, as the one critic put it, "the most powerful woman in America", but I do hope that Ms. Bush's gesture helps conservatives understand that, all in all, a prominent American woman wearing a hijab while touring the Middle East isn't exactly something to raise hell about.

All things considered, such a small gesture of respect isn't a hell of a lot to ask. In fact, if you follow Barnett's links through MediaMatters.org and on to the New York Post, I don't think it's the lack of hijab during her meeting with Syrian President Assad that would most threaten Islamic custom:

I think the amount of leg she shows is a very American statement.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sandy Banned Banned

CCRs are furious. This pandering is pathetic.

I don't care that she just put it on because they gave it to her as a gift. I would have burned it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Sandy, CCR broke up a while ago. Get over it.

8. sandy Banned Banned

Christian Conservative Republicans. We decide who the president will be.

9. superstring01 Moderator

You're being a little rash there Sandy. The CCR's decided who this president was because of their control of the Republican party. I know you WANT to believe this (and that's fair), but the fact is (and despite your refusal to admit this), Bush is the most unpopular sitting president since polls started being kept. He's guaranteed that the CCR's will be not be heard come primary day, and since a majority of the people in this country aren't CCR's, thankfully, the next president will be someone a bit more rational. Hell, anyone would be a bit more rational.

Either way, you'll get a president with practically the same views: Giuliani or Clinton. Both from the same neck of the woods, philosophically and geo-politically.

~String

10. sandy Banned Banned

I don't think so. I don't think either of them will be the next POTUS.

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Statements like those, pretty much guaruntee a hostile response to Americans everywhere, whether they deserve it or not.
    If you don't like it don't wear it.

I think the fact she at least tried it shows that she's better than Bush.

12. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

I think you’ll find that most people don’t actually give a damn about what visiting politicians/leaders etc. wear. The standard Worldwide is to be suited and booted, to dress smart. However when a politician/leader or whoever comes and wears some local gear then it is obviously going to please the locals. It shows that the person in question is making some effort, that s/he is considerate and respectful. But all in all, it’s no big deal.

The only time it becomes an issue is when arrogant, self-righteous pricks (American Conservatives) decide to make a big fuss about it.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

sandy??? Where is your Christian tolerance, love and charity? Isn't this hijab close to what Jesus' own mother wore?
    Don't you worry about turning into what you hate about 'them'?

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You would have burned it? Are we at war with Islam now? That's what we have to look forward to if the American Taliban (CCR) gets their way, religious war and freedom to practice only their kind of religion.

15. sandy Banned Banned

It represents oppression. It's so men don't get "attracted" to the woman. Give me an f'n break. It's disgusting.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Apparently, Laura is quite the little rebel against God.

17. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Very shallow.

There are many different types of veil worn across the Muslim World, different styles to suit different societies/cultures etc. And even then there are different ones worn for different occasions.

The veil has been around for donkey’s years – and its not just Muslim women that wear them, Sikh and Hindu women wear them as well – and not just for religious festivals. A lot of women out of the West cover their hair.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Heck, in that picture, she only needs a hat to cover as much as a hijab does.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2007
  19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

20. sandy Banned Banned

21. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Thats your (ignorant) opinion.

Has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

What if a woman decides to wear one of those veils, what has it got to do with you?

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

23. sandy Banned Banned

Some do around Halloween. They look like witches/nuns. Just creepy.