What's so wrong with capital punishment?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Why?, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

My point of views of capital punishment are...

1) By killing someone who killed someone, you are only stooping down to thier level.

2) Despite the criminals horrible crime(s), nothing you can ever do will bring the victim(s) back to life.

3) Why give the criminal a way out, especially if they believe in the afterlife? Wouldn't you want them to sit in a 5x5 concrete room and suffer for your personal gratification? Sure, it costs money to keep them alive, but I know if it was my family member who was murdered by this individual, I would pay all I had to sit there and watch him waste his life away in a concrete cell, being constantly reminded day after day about what they did and why they are stuck and will never taste "freedom" again.

Just my $.02

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not at all. I'm saying the court is an imperfect arbiter of truth, which has been proven, since people on death row have been released, thus no punishment should be final.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Who dies now?

Okay:

So ... um ... who dies now? Just, you know ... by your system? How do we not insult this victim?

Oh, that's right. He was convicted. By prosecutors who misrepresented what they knew. There is no victim.

Right? Have I got it right?

Nobody needs to die now. That's the point. It needs to be over. Now. No more killing.

Notes:

Possley, Maurice and Steve Mills. "Chicago Tribune: EXECUTED TEXAS MAN WAS LIKELY INNOCENT". DeathPenaltyInfo.org. June, 2006. See http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?&did=1813

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

But it was the courts which "proved" the release!!! You believe that court, but you don't believe the first one. Why believe one court, which you've already said is imperfect, but you'll believe another court?

Spider, you're just being selective where it suits your agenda of no death penalty! ...LOL!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Nope, you haven't got it right! You're believing some newspaper investigation with grand fervor as if it's factual and true and real. Why?

You're so easily swayed that the police investigation was wrong, yet you jump to believe that the newspaper investigatio is correct. Why?

That's your opinion, your belief, but it's not mine, nor is it for many others. Why should your opinion count so much more than all of ours?

And I would remind you that tens of thousands of people die every single day, some of them violent deaths, some by starvation, some by simple diseases, etc. Dying is not such a big deal as you make it out to be ...we all will do it at one time or another. Dying ain't no big deal.

Baron Max

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I have no problem with capital punishment for serial/mass/spree killers. Or for 1st degree murderers. Everyone else is off limits, even pedophiles.
    Now other countries think we are barbaric and we think they just don't understand. Then we sit in judgment of Iran for hanging their non-existent gay people.

So, what crimes are worthy of capital punishment? Chessman was put to death for rape here in the US. Was that barbaric

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not being involved in any particular case, I don't have any beliefs about wether a court's decision is correct or not. However, if they were wrong about releasing a killer, then that person can be arrested. If they are wrong about killing an innocent person... they cannot bring them back from the dead.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I am not rooting for capital punishment, but what if the wrongly released criminal kills someone while being out there ?

12. Bells Staff Member

And yet you are a firm believer in your right to own a gun to protect your life, just in case someone tries to kill you. So if dying "ain't no big deal", why do you need a gun to protect yourself?

Because sometimes Baron, new evidence comes to light and we realise that it was a big booboo to find the accused guilty. Juries only get to consider what they are told in the court room. If they are directly misled about certain aspects of the case, and as a result find the accused guilty, and there was evidence to state he was not guilty of the crime, do you think it is still right to kill the innocent accused? A later court and appeal can bring out the new evidence which would exonerate the accused.

Now I understand you run by the philosophy that if they are found guilty in court, then it's case closed. But there are miscarriages of justice and the guilty still roams free while an innocent sod is left to die for a crime he/she did not commit. Surely you don't see that as being fair or just, do you?

No system is perfect. But to kill the convicted, and then find that they were indeed innocent? What then? What do you say the family of the wrongly executed? "Oopsy sorry about that"? What recourse should they have? Would they be right in accusing the State of being murderers?

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yep, and I rest my case, Your Honor!

The problem is, however, that unlike what you're saying, what you believe is altogether different.

Yeah, after he's killed several more innocent people while he's out? Nice.

But they are NOT wrong, dammit!! If a court finds them guilty, then they're guilty! And we don't want to bring them back from the dead.

What you're basically saying, when all's said and done is that you want to continue investigating and continue having trials until one trial finally finds them innocent ....then, and only then, will you be satisfied.

Spider, you don't like the death penalty, I can understand that. But shouldn't you be tolerant and understanding if your fellow voters decide to keep the death penalty? Or is it that you're not tolerant and understanding of the beliefs and votes of your fellow society members?

Baron Max

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hrm.. and how is it that court can never be wrong in your view ?

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It's worth noting that we let Gary Ridgway live. Some folks are a little sore over that one. But it's worth it.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Send them a nice Hallmark card with a little note ...."Oops, sorry, but sometimes life sucks"

Just curious, Bells, what do we say to the family of the victims who've been viciously murdered? "Oh, sorry, Mrs. MurderVictimWife, we're sorry you're husband was killed, but we've decided that the murderer should have a nice warm place to stay, with three meals a day and all the medical and dental care he'll ever need."

Baron Max

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You could also just not kill anyone, that would pretty much solve the problem right ?

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I'm sure that you're happy, Tiassa ....the guy killed 48 young women and you're glad that he's still around. Good.

How do you feel about the families of the 48 victims?

Baron Max

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

That's the very definition of "guilt or innocence", that's how.

Baron Max

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Still have to pay for their upkeep, housing, medical, food, etc. Something between $50,000 and $75,000 per year.

How many little kids would that care for who now have little or nothing? You'd rather spend money on those murderers than spend it on caring for those little kids?

Baron Max

21. Bells Staff Member

Hang on, aren't you the one who said "dying ain't no big deal"? We could take a note from your book and tell them that. What do you think Baron?

I would imagine life in prison, with no possibility of parole would work, wouldn't you? Knowing that the person who murdered your loved one was locked away in a small cell, having to be constantly reminded of why he was in there and knowing they would never get out would be punishment enough, wouldn't you say?

How would the family of the victim feel if the person convicted and killed for the crime were later found to be innocent, and then live with the knowledge that the person who did commit the crime was out and free and alive? Would you tell them "life sucks" then?

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So you say that if an innocent person is convicted they will be guilty because the court says so ?
    The person maybe guilty to the law but does doesn't have to mean they really did it in real life.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Is that worse than killing an innocent person ? And it might not be a murderer, that's the whole point.