The Menagerie

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tiassa, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Nailed!

Nailed!
    AP: Man discovers nail in skull ... six days after accident

According to doctors, the nail penetrated Lawler's brain to the measure of 1.5 inches, and barely his missing eye. Neurosurgeon Dr. Sean Markey told a Denver television station that this was the second time the hospital has seen a patient injured by a nail gun who didn't actually realize a nail had impaled their skull. Nonetheless, it is a rare injury.

Lawler is in good spirits, according to his wife, despite hospital bills reaching $100,000 and a lack of medical insurance.

"The doctors said, 'If you're going to have a nail in the brain, that's the way you want it to be,'" said Katerina Lawler. "He's the luckiest guy, ever."

Notes:

Gartner, Erin. "Man finds nail in skull six days later". SeattlePI.com (AP), January 16, 2005. See http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apus_story.asp?category=1110&slug=Nail Gun Accident

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Great Nickel Heist
    Authorities confused by theft of 3.6m coins

In December, a shipment of coins worth $180,000 went missing. Twenty-three tons of nickels (U.S.$0.05). 3.6 million of the things.

A truck left the Federal Reserve building in East Rutherford, New Jersey, bound for New Orleans. It never made it. The driver, Angel Ricardo Mendoza, of Miami, Fla., has not been heard from since gassing up in northern Florida on December 19, and calling in to tell his boss he was at Tallahassee the next day. On December 21, Mendoza's 18-wheeler turned up at a truck stop in Fort Pierce, Florida, with the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition. The payload was gone.

"He's either a victim or a suspect," said Sgt. Richard Mestre, of the Cargo Theft Task Force in for the Miami-Dade police.

Judy Orihuela, an FBI spokeswoman, said, "Somebody actually went out and stole 3.6 million nickels. I mean, who would ever think that would happen?" Additionally, Orihuela noted that the truck bore no signs of violence.

Would it be indecent to say that authorities are buffaloed?

Notes:

Potter, Mark. "Millions of nickels stolen from Fed". MSNBC.com, January 14, 2005. See http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6826757/

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

can you imagin that old lady rocking up at the bank

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"can you just count these for me dear"

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH

funny as

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i read that expecting a twist like "the theif dropped them in a preschool during his getaway and police are working to extract the 3.6 million coins from toddlers noses" but meh, i guess that will have to do

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Pimp Fight!
    Nevada whoremongers argue over legendary brothel name

That's right, folks, it's a good ol' fashioned pimp fight.

Well, okay. Instead of truncheons and guns, they're using lawyers:

What's next? Is Mr. Whitebred going to sue Home Pride?

Notes:

Associated Press. "Nev. brothel's name disputed in lawsuit". SeattlePI.com, January 16, 2005. See http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apus_story.asp?category=1110&slug=Mustang Ranch

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

File Under 'T', For 'Things I Never Wanted To Know About"
    Disclaimer: That truth is stranger than fiction explains why horror films are so traditionally campy.

The moral of the story, just to clear it up at the outset, is that it's not yet time to start relying on blogs for news.

I came across this tidbit while following up on a simple hypothesis: since the bloggers are complaining that a news story isn't getting enough coverage, I ought to read a few blogs to find out what they've got that isn't being represented in the daily majors.

At any rate, Sean Hannity has a dating page on his website. As you consider whether to continue this exploration, consider carefully the prior sentence. I've only been aware of this for a matter of minutes, and already it's having a quiet but perceptible soul-scarring effect.

Warning! You have been warned. Click with caution:

Bloggers at present are having fun reviewing their favorites. Again, you have been warned.

The most original of the reader comments is a bizarre bit about Katrina vanden Heuvel. Otherwise, it's all Gannon, Anne Coulter, and general scornful laughter. There is a familiar ring to some of them, though, including the one that advises of a particular ad, "FUCK YOU ass-hat!"

No, this is not worth your time, nor the damage it will cause your soul.

You've been warned yet again.

(P.S. - Seagoat? Soul-scarring, I tells ya.)

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Fire in the hole!

Source: The Stranger
    Link: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=91081
    Title: "Last Days", by David Schmader
    Date: October 19-25, 2006

This week of emasculating pastels, incriminating tattoos, and glorious and surprising triumph kicks off today with a blast of lightning from a Croatian lady's anus. Details come from the Associated Press ....

.... What Timarovic can't recall, an emergency worker supplies: "She was wearing rubber bathroom shoes at the time and so instead of earthing through her feet it appears the electricity shot out of her backside," said the unnamed medic . . . . "It appears to have earthed through the damp shower curtain that she was touching as she bent over to put her mouth under the tap." Despite suffering great pain and severe burning to her anus, Ms. Timarovic remains a lucky woman .... (TheStranger.com)

What? What can I possibly add to that?

Notes:

Schmader, David. "Last Days". The Stranger, Oct. 19-25, 2006. See http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=91081

11. Bells Staff Member

Heh! I remember reading about that in the newspaper a week or so ago.

Geez Tiassa, I'd actually forgotten this thread existed.

12. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Source: The Daily Mail
    Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=405006&in_page_id=1811
    Title: "Nun tried to kill priest after finding him in bed with another woman"
    Date: 13th September 2006

Sister Silvia Gomes De Sousa, 39, saw red and set fire to Father Carmelo Mantarro's house after she nabbed him 'in flagrante.'

The furious nun - who was also Father Carmelo's cleaner - was also armed with a machete and threatened to kill the priest before being restrained by passers by.
    The saucy goings on were made even more interesting by father Carmelo's age - he is 70 years old - and is said to have been sleeping with both sister De Sousa and the other woman for several months.

At the court hearing Sister De Sousa also claimed to have had two abortions as a result of having unprotected sex with Father Carmelo and also showed several love letters from him.

Bless me Father, for I have sinned!

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Peepshow!

Peeps on parade
    Seattle chef turns strange candy into gourmet

From the website of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

John Moe, senior reporter and occasional host of American Public Media's "Weekend America," wondered if there was more to Peeps than simply devouring them out of the box. So he channeled the creative juices of chef Jason Wilson, who owns Crush restaurant in Seattle, toward concocting an Easter feast fit for Peeps.

"He took to the assignment with gusto and with a blowtorch," said Moe, whose Peeps show will air today on "Weekend America."

On the menu were Peep fondue, green "eggs" and ham, Peep-crusted foie gras, Peep macaroni and cheese, and Peep-otatoes. (Chou)

Stories like this make me wish I had a proper religion, so that the phrase, "Oh, dear God!" could be something more than a mere colloquialism.

"Green 'eggs' and ham made by chef Jason Wilson of Seattle restaurant Crush."
    (Ducey/Seattle P-I; click image to enlarge)

My stomach simply recoils.

Notes:

Chou, Hsiao-Ching. "Seattle chef puts on a rather disturbing Peeps show". SeattlePI.com, April 6, 2007. See http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/310664_peeps07.html

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Really, you don't want to read this

You don't want to read this
    Woman charged in child mutilation

You have been warned. Do not read any further. Unlike the peep-otatoes, electrified recta, and Hannidate, this is a true stomach-turner.

Final warning: Do not read any further.

That said, from "Last Days", a weekly summary of strange news from my favorite Seattle newspaper, The Stranger:

FRIDAY, MAY 11 As fans of horrifying accidents will recall, back on March 27, Last Days reported on the 5-week-old boy in Houston whose genitals had reportedly been torn off by the family's miniature dachshund. At the time of her infant son's emasculation, the boy's mother was nearby in a drug-induced stupor; after the attack, police, doctors, and Child Protective Services officials argued that the baby's injuries were not consistent with dog bites, as "the lacerations were too neat," and no blood or human tissue could be found anywhere on or in the dachshund. Today, everyone's worst suspicions were supported, as the boy's mother—25-year-old Katherine Nadal—was arrested and accused of mutilating the boy with a sharp instrument. Charged with injury to a child, Nadal is being held on $100,000 bail, while the exonerated dachshund has been released by authorities and adopted. (Schmader)​

Bong? Anyone? There's not enough dope in town to clear that one from the conscience.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Cripple fight! Well, sort of.

Source: TheStranger.com
    Link: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=237718
    Title: "Last Days", by David Schmader
    Date: June 6, 2007

It's a good, ol'-fashioned cripple fight! Well, sort of:

... I saw a twentysomething woman in a kiwi-green halter top and tight capri pants who'd somehow managed to pick a fight with a slightly obese middle-aged woman in a wheelchair. And I mean a real fight. The sporty young woman would swoop in mantis-like for a strike only to be fended off with a skillful hook from her stationary adversary. Truly, the disabled pugilist dominated the fight, making solid contact with every blow, causing the other woman to dance back skittishly after failing to land a single solid punch .... (Schmader)​

Once, when I was in junior high school, some of the jocks set the retarded fat kid on the retarded wheelchair-bound kid in a wrestling match. It was a fabulous fight, and one the teacher allowed to continue because it was about time someone put the fat kid in his place. After about fifteen minutes, the wheelchair-bound kid pinned the fat kid. Absolutely amazing.

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Dinks amok?

Source: SeattleTimes.com
    Link: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003898448_webplates23.html
    Title: "Oregon family's name deemed offensive — on their license plates", via Associated Press
    Date: September 23, 2007

Yeah, that's right: government at work. I'd say something like, "I'm so glad I don't live in Oregon anymore," but I don't really think it matters much what state you're in. Oh, well. At least they stopped Packwood from getting the "MASALA" plate.

Three things:

(1) I don't think I've used "dink" in a sexual connotation since I was about eleven, and making up random, silly-sounding words as sex jokes.

(2) I had thought the ethnic slur was obsolete; in the 1990s, "DINK" meant "Double Income, No Kids", referring to yuppie marriages.

(3) On the grounds that the license plates serialized the family, yes, they should have been taken away. And, perhaps, the family should have been forced to perform "Habanera" on national television in front of Simon Cowell.​

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I couldn't resist looking up the last name Udink.

http://www.familienaam.nl/

fill in the name in and press 'zoek' (search).

Not so many left, and most seem to live in the east.

I was curious to what the name actually means in Dutch, because it is not so obvious from the last name itself.

Haven't found anything useful, but it's not dirty or a name for a racial slur.

Kind of offensive though to deny people their own names because some people are actively seeking offensive material, which would indicate an 'offensive mind', or racist in this example.

Clearly Udink does not mean 'You Dink'.

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Does anyone remember the movie Weird Science?

Okay, now, think of the scene in the Kandy Bar. Remember when Gary goes to the bathroom, backs nervously into the stall? Remember what he says when he sits down?

I always loved the tone of that phrase. "Well, Gahhhhd damn!"

Anyway, that was my first reaction upon reading this:

Okay, I'll confess my naîvete on this one: How ...? I mean, what ...? I mean ... huh?

The bit with the spoons I'm just fine with. I only wonder what ol Chuck Froming would say.

19. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Welcome to Rat City

Source: SeattleTimes.com
    Link: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003997393_webbitlip06m.html
    Title: "Woman arrested for biting off man's lip", by Jennifer Sullivan
    Date: November 6, 2007

I don't know which joke to make: the dangerous heterosexual perverts ruining America, or Rat City.

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(Insert title here)

It ... uh ... qualifies. Sure. After all, it is Rat City. It's one of those places where, if it was on COPS, the police just wouldn't have cared: if they had to show up, someone was getting arrested in order to make it worthwhile.

And, hey ... it's a tough place.

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Update from Rat City

Update!
    Rat City chomper charged for bitey buss

What? Really, I'm sure if I cared enough to put some more effort into it, I could come up with something better than "bitey".

Anyway, who cares? To update the story in #57 above:

The accused, Ms. Laura Cutler, has apparently not been charged with the assault of a police officer. This is probably for the best, all things considered.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007