Dry runs, dry expectations

Discussion in 'World Events' started by GeoffP, Apr 19, 2007.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Demeaning? How is it demeaning to call someone on something they've actually done? It's bloody describing, not demeaning.

There's a difference between muslims and islam. Islam is only an idea. And there are lots of muslims questioning the history of islam, and of Mohammed, a huge swathe of reformers. Aren't there?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Are there any Muslims that don't acknowledge the Quran or Mohammed?

And what is the difference between Muslims and Islam? Are there Muslims without the "idea" of Islam?

Please let me know of these Muslims questioning the history of the Quran and of Mohammed?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

So your boyfriend hassles an innocent family because they appear to be Muslim, and then somehow, the mother is to blame for making the girl cry, what is it you said 'If she'd just chilled, all would have been fine' lmfao, maybe if your boyfriend didn't hassle innocent people that appear Muslim everything would be fine.

Interest in social justice?! get out of here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They were staring at me. Its rude to stare, you should know that. Since they were staring at me, I think its okay for me to put on a little show for them, you know what I mean?

And for your information, no kids were staring at me, there were no tears, I'm a nice guy. Plus, the guys that were staring were fat and ugly.

Look, I was minding my own fucking business, waiting for a flight when I noticed a bunch of fat, ugly men staring at me. I though I'd put a show on for them. There is no justification for the way they were looking at me, none whatsoever. You obviously don't know what its like for people to stare at you just because you have brown skin (which is prob the main reason – I don’t have a beard, I wear Western clothing etc), well sometimes, it sucks big hairy monkey balls, believe me. If anyone had called the authorities I would have told that person to go and make love to a donkey, in the mouth.

Strawman.

What the fuck are you talking about.

Of course hassling people on the basis of religion, colour etc. is wrong. I never do that. But your boyfriend has, have you admonished him yet? Oh yeh, you said you found it funny. So much for all that shit about social justice.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, again: islam is an idea. Christians can criticize Christianity, can't they? I don't think you're really getting the difference here. I can criticize Christianity and Judaism as religions, without being critical of Jews or Christians themselves, as I've said previously.

I'll be right on that. But I was under the impression Mohammed was merely a prophet. Just a guy. You can't question people? That's odd.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, what did she have to be scared of? They clearly weren't doing anything except staring at my friend because he happened to be talking on the phone. The kid didn't know anything about it; all she knew was that her mother was being bitchy or what have you. Maybe the mother should have just held it together. You seemed totally cool with the whole concept of scaring people societally until you took my bait on the "children" thing.

Well, since this muslim guy was obviously angry at my friend wearing a suit and shades, then it's fine to scare the crap out of him. Isn't it? Maybe the people were staring at you because they though you were cute or something. You've no idea, really.

Oh, but I do. I've been stared at by many people. That doesn't mean I try to make them think they're about to die.

No, no: accurate assessment.

Why, I certainly did tell him what he did was wrong. But he said the father was giving him the evil eye, like, and he excused himself on that basis. What can I say? It's wrong to stare at people. Some places, I understand, it's even going to become illegal.

The really ironic thing about Ghost's whole little argument is that he never bothered to address anything in the thread, or even my links below about actual discrimination. It's more important that his tribe wins out. Sad.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Then you can give examples of Muslims who think of Islam as an idea, right?

Examples, please, of Muslims questioning the history of Mohammed and of the Quran.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

It's not a question of whether or not individual muslims think of islam as an idea, although I imagine about any reformer would do. Islam is an idea. It's not integral. If I yank the idea out of you, you're not going to explode or drop dead or something.

Again: I imagine any reformer would do. I might look such people up, and I might not. Who knows?

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It would be interesting to meet a Muslim without the idea of Islam who questions the history of the Prophet and the Quran, methinks.

I eagerly await your revelations.

But don't worry, I'm not holding my breath.

12. Genji Registered Senior Member

edit

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Yes, of course: because I never follow through on my evidentiary chain.

Oooooh, got me that time. Not.

14. Bells Staff Member

Yes, I can see how a grown man making a little girl cry is always hilarious.

So you support the notion of hassling and scaring innocent families going about their business do you? I wonder if your reaction would have been the same if someone did the same to you and your family? Would you find it amusing if someone scared your wife and children to the point where your children started crying?

I never thought you would support bullying and worst of all, racial bullying.

Your friend his lucky. Had it been me, I would have either called the police and reported that someone was threateningly stalking my family, or I would have kicked him in the nuts and then told the police I felt he posed a danger to my children. Your friend is lucky he bullied someone who was polite.

No, it is rude. Your friend should get some manners.

His actions were equally idiotic and moronic.

Although he is not the one gleefully recounting making a little girl cry. You are.

But you go further and blame the mother. Maybe she was stressed and scared that some strange man was acting that way around her children. I know I would have been.

Ermm no. A societally responsible person would have done what it took to ensure their family's safety. As I said, if some weird man started acting that way around me and my children, I would have either called the police and reported being harrassed and threatened, or I would have kicked him in the nuts and then advised the police it was because I felt so threatened and harrassed.

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

All right, all right, O very well: I can see my little experiment is at an end when Bells descends to chew me out. The fact of the matter is that I do not have any such friend who so did, nor would I support any who so did. In short: it was a farce. A ruse.

A SHAM.

Basically it was designed to cull Ghost's quieter opinions to the surface, and it performed far better than it was supposed to.

Now it was indeed false and that is a shame and an insult to the good people of SciForums, and for that I apologize. I realize of course that most people here saw through it, Sam being among those. I know Bells missed it, and for which she may kick me in the nuts herself, as I'm given to understand is a pastime of hers; she is certainly excused on the basis of extreme unction, or near-extreme, anyway. (PS: hope you're feeling better.) But - BUT: I point out that there is a certain sense of skewed moral responsibility among certain apologists that it is quite right and acceptable to harass people based on what they call illegitimate fears, and not right for others to do the same but in reverse. I was actually quite close to a terrorist event myself within the last five years (the details of which I will not indicate, since airline manifests are probably not that difficult to get hold of) and so the issue of this very sort of nonsense is also a personal one. It is unfair to try and frighten innocent people with supremacist nonsense in the name of any God, islamic or otherwise. It is unfair and malicious for the Syrians to have done so, and for the Flying Imams to have done so, and would be unfair and malicious for my would-have-done-so "friend", would he have done so, or even be in the habit of wearing suits (which, most of my friends do not), or even be a real person. I do explicitly NOT approve of such behaviour, but I wished to test my suspicions.

And so I concocted on the spot a small test - a most tiny of examinations to divulge the personality of apologia. And: it did. Quite a success, surprisingly. Ghost's argument of tiny differentiation was that there were no children in his admittedly probably ficticious scenario. But that's not the point. There are always children around; the issue is whether or not public scrutiny is acceptable. To apologists such as CAIR, or othersame with thin egos and easily bruised feelings, obviously public scrutiny is not liked, although probably for differing reasons. But the rationale is that public scrutiny is needed, has prevented deaths already. The culling of such scrutiny, I think, is a wrongful thing: and public stunts designed to legally obstruct or societally inhibit such scrutiny is also wrong. In extremis (or more accurately, selon moi, in actu for CAIR and the like, such efforts represent one of the most reprehensible efforts to disrupt the most basal protection a society has - its own citizenry. In actu, for most people - including Ghost - it probably represents damaging dullardy. Which is bad enough.

So: to sum up. Not a real situation, but a really useful scenario. Not real support, but really good support of my tentative hypothesis.

Not really fair, I admit. But fairly real.

Good day.

Geoff

16. Genji Registered Senior Member

Hardcore racist. Sad.

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

At imminent risk of severe nut-kicking, and sorry to have distressed Bells, I add these addenda:

Let me make it absolutely clear that I absolutely don't support that.

I have no doubt you would, Rambette, and I apologize for raising your ire. Please spare my own nuts and those of my imaginary friend. Mea culpa.

I agree that such an individual would be irreparably rude, idiotic and moronic.

Again: I would never be gleeful over making little girls cry. Unless I'd stolen their cookies or something.

Absolutely: I would never seriously fault such a person. This was, as all the rest, intended to draw parallel with Ghost's cock-and-bull story.

Again: quite reasonable. I'm given to understand a good nut-kicking is less innocuous in Australia, of course. Dwarf-throwing, too.

Anyway: I reiterate that such behaviour is wrong. Not merely in imaginary friends of Geoff, but also in other people less inclined to an egalitarian view of things.

Best,

Unimaginary Geoff

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

And, again, Genji, if you can demonstrate how the above is racist, please do. I'm certainly aware how making light of the Holocaust is bigoted, of course; which you've done, time and again.

19. Bells Staff Member

Liar liar pants on fire...

One would hope not.

Dey dwew furst bwood..

Hmmmm..

Sadly, some people do act like that. Take our friendly little Casper as an example.

Be thankful. I once jammed my car keys into the nether regions of a date who thought it would be fun to try to push me into the back of a car once.

And it is dwarf 'chucking'.

Damn you!

I admit, I was fooled. And yes, the improvement is slow, but it is an ongoing process.

It is never right. Not for any side of any equation.

There are varying degrees of public scrutiny. Some extreme, as seen by your imaginary friend (you should name him George). Sometimes it can and does go too far. When aspects of security such as racial profiling are put in place, it can and does discriminate. When people of Middle Eastern appearance find themselves harrassed for no reason, other than their appearance, things have gone too far. In the case of the flying Imams, the people on that plane were right to voice their fears as the Imams behaved in a way that was intended to terrify. We should always be aware of our surroundings and those around us, not because of the threat of terrorism, but for our own personal safety. However, we must also learn to not over-react at every little thing. Doing so will result in 'their' having won.

It would be insane to say that public scrutiny is not needed. It has always been needed. You look when you cross the road don't you? You become suspicious if you enter a bank and find someone walking in with a motorcycle helmet on their heads. Everyone should be aware of their surroundings at all times for their own personal safety. If you notice something suspicious, report it. However reports should only be made if there is indeed something suspicious. Reporting someone just because they are of a particular race or religion does not cut it. I am reminded of the stories of police officers pulling over black people if they are found to be driving a new car. Do not, for example, rush at a person you think might be a terrorist because he is boarding a plane with a backpack on his back thinking it contains a bomb just because he is of Middle Eastern appearance (as an example). As I said before, there is public scrutiny and there is paranoia. The latter can and does lead to situations of harrassment and racial hatred.

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

But better than a kick in the nuts. :spank:

Yes, ma'am! No, ma'am! I can't believe you just 'Stalloned' that.

This is true.

Tell me, have you ever heard of a band called "Genitorturer"? I think you should look these guys up. I suppose the nether regions aren't the genitals, obviously, and I hope I don't earn a kick in the nuts.

I'm sorry. I had no intent to impugn Australia, yourself, or your dwarf 'chucking', beer-swilling, crocodile-wrestling, nut-kicking culture.

Hang in there. It's going to get better, to the point you'll never notice you ever had it, I swear. You know this. It'll be ok.

George has noted your points, and promises to act accordingly.

Not again after that first time. I swear. And I hope someday that Sanjaya is able to forgive me. But preferably not in song.

Agreed: there is a level too far. There is caution, and overcaution.

And in other areas that go to far, try this link on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGR4-SeuJ0

The fourth one is the best.

Geoff

21. Bells Staff Member

I had to ask my husband what the silly line was..

:bawl:

Sad when it physically hurts to laugh lol.

Unfortunately, too many react with over-caution.

Although the following did have me chuckling.

Have to love the Kiwi's!

'We think it's a bomb, so we'll put it in the safe and deal with it tomorrow... oh.. it was a dildo anyway'.. lol..

I wonder if the manufacturers of the 'sex aid' will now advertise their product as providing an explosive feeling..

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

lmao

Kiwis are proof that Tazis can swim. No wonder your husband wants to carve out a kingdom there; they must be easy to rule.

...unless you're a Tazi. Then I take it back. Look, just don't kick me in the nuts, all right?

23. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

So you’re a liar. Just like Ayaan Hirsi.

Hey GeoffP, I don’t like liars.

Manipulating other people’s posts, posting articles from a rabid anti-Muslim hate site and trying to pass them off as reasonable is one thing, but outright lying. It’s pathetic.