How DUMB can US voters be?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Billy T, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

For new reader's convenience, first post has been moved to more current page (25 June 06).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

How dumb do you need them to be to make a point?

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to buy stocks.

Nothing wrong with investing in one's future -- unless one has chosen to hold out for that Gov'm'nt check in the mailbox every month.

Dignified Retirement is what some folks call that.

Me? I'm gonna call my broker, right now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr Hannibal Lecter Gentleman and Cannibal. Registered Senior Member

The sheeple march into the polling places and solemnly vote against their own interests, and then go home and return to watching the glowing lobotomy box. Another day closer to death and eternal obscurity.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Do we actually want to know the answer to that question?

8. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

The best way to get the people not to listen to you: Call them sheeple. The more you insult them, the more you will be branded a crackpot and whatever policies you may endorse will be similarly scorned.

9. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Can I quote you?

10. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Sure, why not? Anything I post here on Sciforums I consider up for grabs.

11. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I suppose Americans will eat less Beef, maybe get a little less fat, and slowly devise better alternatives to oil?

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

WMD News Story- EXTRA! 1 2

However.......
    They probably would have been intended for chemical attacks during the Iran-Iraq War, said David Kay, who headed the U.S. weapons-hunting team in Iraq from 2003 until early 2004. He said experts on Iraq's chemical weapons are in "almost 100 percent agreement" that sarin nerve agent produced from the 1980s would no longer be dangerous. "It is less toxic than most things that Americans have under their kitchen sink at this point," Kay said.

So I'd say pretty dumb

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Michael

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately, I think we aready do, based on the available evidence.

14. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Does senility make humans less human?

15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

No one said anything about being less human. Just dumb human.

16. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Speaking of dumb, you missed the analogy entirely, human.

What's it take get some folks with some reading comprehension around here?

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

(Post #1 moved here for new readers convenience)
    Next bold line is SUMMARY of corn-based-ethanol New York Times article of 25 June 2006:
    Expect to pay higher taxes (for the subsidies) and higher food prices while big agri-business gets richer.

Article ends with:
    "With oil prices at $70 a barrel sharply lifting the prices paid for ethanol, the average processing plant is earning a net profit of more than $5 a bushel on the corn it is buying for about $2 a bushel, Mr. Basse said. And that is before the 51-cent-a-gallon tax credit given to refiners and blenders that incorporate ethanol into their gasoline. It is truly yellow gold" See: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/25/b...cf7f34&ex=1308888000&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss

Also in NYT report:
    "Despite continuing doubts about whether the fuel provides a genuine energy saving, at least 39 new ethanol plants are expected to be completed over the next 9 to 12 months..."

"...ADM has not lost interest in promoting ethanol among farm organizations, politicians and the news media. It is by far the biggest beneficiary of more than $2 billion in government subsidies the ethanol industry receives each year, via a 51-cent-a-gallon tax credit given to refiners and blenders that mix ethanol into their gasoline. ADM will earn an estimated $1.3 billion from ethanol alone in the 2007 fiscal year."
    {Billy T adds: NOT included is the subsidy given to corn growers or more than half of all farm subsidies! ADM = Archer Daniels Midland}

"While ADM has pushed ethanol, rivals like Cargill* have been more skeptical. To Mr. Staley, ethanol is over promoted as a solution to the nation's energy challenges, and the growth in production, if unchecked, has the potential to ravage America's livestock industry and harm the nation's reliability as an exporter of corn and its byproducts. ... "Unless we have huge increases in productivity, we will have a huge problem with food production," Mr. Staley said." And the world will have to make choices. ....analysts doubt whether the scientists and farmers can keep up with the ethanol merchants." {Remainder of post is comments by Billy T, not NYTimes. NYT lacks courage? (To tell: "All the News, Fit to Print")

}

Looks like big oil must share space on back of US tax payers who soon will not be eating beef. Do you think you can carry the load still?; Or is it:
    Time to clean out Washington, end alcohol import quotas; end the 54 cents per gallon import duty; end subsidities to big farms; so Brazil can sell you alcohol for ~60% of what you are paying for gasoline now, AND lower your taxes!
    .................................................................................................................................................Again I ask: HOW DUMB CAN US VOTERS BE?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Gargill is privately held. Annually, most of the 100s of millions of your tax dollars Cargill collects go basically to a family group as Gargill has no shareholders. ....I have no doubt many $ return to Washington Politicians (of both parties) so I guess it is all fair.

... What do your think?

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2007
  19. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Heh, "glowing lobotomy box", I like that. The box, that is.

20. Novacane Registered Senior Member

How dumb can U.S. voters be? Simple answer. They voted GWB in as president of the U.S. for two continous terms. The results speak for themselves, don't they?

21. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

the first election was not legal, and the second election happened the way it did because the t.v. told us to vote for bush.

t.v. is our god. why do you think i moved to europe?

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Because the real patriots kicked you out?

23. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

with extreme prejudice......i dont bleed enough blue and white with my red, apparently.

*shrug* ill bleed black red and yellow now, i guess.