Anybody investing in Uranium?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by mercaptan, Mar 29, 2006.

1. mercaptan Das Feuer liebt mich Registered Senior Member

I just bought stocks for four different uranium companies. One in Australia, two in Canada, and one in the US. The price of uranium per pound is dramatically increasing right now and should continue to do so for a few years to come.

China and India are about to build lots of nuclear reactors over the next 15 years or so. Plus many other countries have plans as well. The demand for uranium will only continue to rise and we have a shortage of it currently. Cameco is the largest producer of uranium but they can't do all the work....so lots of new companies are trying to find rich deposits they can make money off of.

Any thoughts on this? I also heard that Australia might be signing a deal with China soon which will allow Australia's mining companies to sell uranium to the Chinese. Then maybe India will follow - they have already asked Australia for it.

Ok, so? Anyone here also investing in uranium companies?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. duendy Registered Senior Member

you are investing in the poisoning of Nature!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Duendy,

There is protective legislation nowadays. Uranium mines aren't poisoning nature (that much).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mars13 give me liberty Registered Senior Member

uranium comes from nature,it is completly natural.

damn i hate stupid hippies.

8. mars13 give me liberty Registered Senior Member

so which stock did you buy? im always looking for a good stock tip.

9. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

duendy, how else do you propose we get energy? that rhetorical, don't answer. if you think nuclear is the most environmentally damaging power source, then you would probably come back with something like "hydrogen!"

10. mars13 give me liberty Registered Senior Member

actualy this south african research company has increased solar panel out put 1000%.

thats actualy the futur,however,making money now is always a good plan too.

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Uranium naturally in the ground decays and produces radon gas which disolves into drinking water and seeps into basments where it tends to accumulate as it is much heaver than air. I have a plan to reduce this natural radiological danger. Heres my plan:

We dig up this dangerous stuff and transmute it into other, elements. (Simple is it not?)

Unfortunately some of elements the uranium is transmuted into are also dangerous so we must carefully control / regulate the transmuting facility. Fortunately, some of the radio active isotpes we get from the transmuted uranium are very useful medically. For example, rice sized grains of some can be inserted into cancers, like prostate cancer, and cures effected. Others can be used in thermoelectric generators, like the one recently launched on an 10 or 14 year trip to explore Pluto, which is so distant from sun that solar cell will not work. Even cobal 60 can be produced by the neutrons released in the transmutation process. It is very useful for many things. For example, food can be placed in sealed packages and stored near the cobalt 60 source for only a few hours and then it keeps without decay or refrigeration for years! Co 60 can also be used in field hospitals as a compact X-ray source for taking picture of broken bones etc or in factories for seeing hidden defects, etc.

Perhaps with more research were can find some other use for the transmutation facility, but even if were can not, at least we will be cleaning up the Earth from this terrible uranium stuff, which is poisoning our drinking water and filling our basement with radon. I recently read that transmution also makes a lot of heat, so if we pass pipes thru it we may be able to find some use for the steam it can generate.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2006
  12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yeah, Duendy, get with the program, nuclear power is the new environmentally friendly alternative to fossil fuels. Did you know that all the spent nuclear fuel in the United States ever used can fit into an average sized school gymnasium? It produces no greenhouse gasses other than the equipment used in construction.

There was even a naturally occurring nuclear reactor at one time in ancient Africa.

13. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

thats a good idea, I have always been a believer in transmutation of our nuclear waste. does the Co 60 radiation adversely effect the food?

14. mercaptan Das Feuer liebt mich Registered Senior Member

I don't give out stock tips because if the stock fails, the person who took my tip will probably have some sort of subconscious animosity towards me for something I didn't do.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

BUT - check out this list of uranium companies. The real time stock price is even updated beside them. All the companies I chose are all present on this list.
    http://www.newfuelnow.com/uranium/

15. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

The problem with uranium is that investing can be dangerous. An event such as some UN law banning reactors somewhere could make the price drop

16. mercaptan Das Feuer liebt mich Registered Senior Member

Yes, but an event like this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4871000.stm

can make the right uranium stocks skyrocket....as did two of my stocks today. One was up 18% on the day and the other 20% on the day. I see this trend continuing in the future.

Do a little research and you'll see it. Spot price of uranium is already $40/lb and continues to go up...look at the charts! Around 120 nuclear reactors are being planned worldwide (where's the uranium going to come from? We have a shortage of supply and there's way more demand).

Good comps

Paladin Resources ltd

CanAlaska ventures ltd

Uranium resources ltd (ticker: URIX.OB )

Fronteer Development Group (ticker: FRG)

Guys, just look how Cameco took off. If you don't know who/what Cameco is, look it up. Peace.

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I realize that fission power is the only sensible way of producing vast amounts of electricity at the moment, but what if an economical way of harnessing fusion power is suddenly discovered?

The price of uranium will plummet no?

18. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Solar panels already capture around 30% of the total electromagnetic energy that strikes them. You couldn't increase the output by 1000%, unless your solar panel magically created energy from nothing.

19. mercaptan Das Feuer liebt mich Registered Senior Member

No, not necessarily - depends on what the news is like and if it is cost friendly. But it probably would make the uranium spot price fall pretty fast. But what are the chances of sustainable fusion being perfected in the next 10-20 years???

20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Don't know - maybe you could try googling the phrase "state of fusion research". New technologies seem to take about forty years to develop. Maybe you should keep your stock for five years and then pull out.

There a three big hurdles science has to solve in the next few decades:

1. An economical replacement for the incandescent light bulb, which uses too much of its energy to create heat, rather than light. The solution will problably come with LED and OLED research

2. A replacement for the internal combustion engine, which again creates too much heat in proportion to energy used. Fuel cell/capacitor systems still have a long way to go.

3. A way to produce vast amounts of grid electricity without poisoning the environment. Fission and hydro power is the best we have at the moment, but there is tremendous public resistance to more fission plants, esp. in the US.

21. Roman Banned Banned

What if magic was discovered? This is a terrible reason not to make cash off of poisoning the environment.

22. The_Dude Registered Member

Agreed. Magic ought to be discovered. It will most likely destroy the value of many investments, but it will be worth it.

23. boppa Registered Senior Member

um

hate to tell you this but i hope you dont have stocks in any bulb companies ;-)

compact fluros-fdb's(local cheap op shop)

pack of 4-3 dollars

4x 18w = 72w total usage
    incandescant
    4x100w = 400w total usage

it cost me more in fuel to drive into town to buy them than it did to actually buy them...

`There a three big hurdles science has to solve in the next few decades:
    1. An economical replacement for the incandescent light bulb'

the c.f.l
    as its been available since from memory the early 90's

i cant understand how you havent heard of it?

:-O