Transient lunar phenomena: Is the Moon active?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by FieryIce, Jan 4, 2004.

1. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

Transient lunar phenomena (TLP): lights, luminous clouds, and other changes reported on the Moon.

I’ll add intrigue to mystery. The is a report called, NASA Technical Report R-277, Chronological Catalog of Reported Lunar Events, July 1968, written by Barbara M. Middlehurst, University of Arizona, Jaylee M. Burley, Goddard Space Flight Center, Patrick Moore, Armagb Planetarium and Barbara L. Weltber, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory http://www.mufor.org/tlp/lunar.html
    The report charts what you describe as Transient lunar phenomena for the years 1540 to 1969. What I found interesting was in the years 1920-1929 there were only 4 reports compared to 1950-1959 the reports were so numerous it is broken into two separate web pages. I would be interested in seeing a report covering 1970-present for curiosity.

Next, there is the Clementine craft: http://www.mufor.org/clement.htm

In 1992, an official U.S. unmanned Defense Department (DOD) mission to the Moon was announced by the Pentagon's Ballistic Missile Defense Organization (BMDO). The first return to the Moon by the United States in 23 years, the mission was officially termed "the Deep Space Program Science Experiment" but has become better known by its public nickname "Clementine". Within a record two years of its origination, the completed BMDO Clementine spacecraft was dispatched to lunar orbit, commencing January 25, 1994.

I have been aware that NASA is run by the Department of Defense but why in this instance is there the involvement of Ballistic Missile Defense. Missiles would definitely show a cloud, haze, and light flash etc. on the moons surface if someone were interested in creating their own crater and possibly record radiation, heat readings in a different atmosphere than earth. Granted, this missile defense program is first dated in 1992 with commencement in 1994 while TLP’s have been recorded as far back as 1540.

Any other ideas?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xevious Truth Beyond Logic Registered Senior Member

A geologically active moon is an interesting idea. The moon is certanly filled with mysteries. We had been monitoring moonquakes during the Apollo program, so clearly seizmic activity goes on.

I think this thread should be moved to Astronomy. It is making no claims reguarding ET or other extreme claims, and the original post discusses material which NASA itself is investigating, admittedly low-key.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

As far as I recall, Clemetine was born from the ashes of a Star Wars program that was cancelled. So it was using recycled technology, and was basically an underhand way of using public money to keep a cancelled project current.

I'll try and dig up a source,

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

I guess phloger hasn't found anything yet, is he even around anymore?

8. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I suspect he is.

9. btimsah Registered Senior Member

I think I have an image of TLP.. Below is one of about 3 images which photograph this light moving across the surface.. Or, well either they are or the light is.. lol I made an animated .gif of the 3 tweened together and I'm uploading it now to my site. However, below is an example. I also have another image of smoke/dust rising up from the surface of the Moon that I posted on here before. I do think the Moon is geologically active.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. btimsah Registered Senior Member

It might be interesting to note that once the Clementine Spacecraft went behind the Moon it suddenly had "a malfunction". To be honest I never really believed that. It just seemed too planned.. I bet the Military was doing SOMETHING top secret, I just dont know what.

11. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

maybe testing nukes. Curtis Lemay said the Russians would test nukes on the back of the moon if we signed a test-ban treaty. maybe that idea raised a couple of ideas in our government.

12. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

didn't the malfunction happen after it left lunar orbit?

13. btimsah Registered Senior Member

I don't completely remember. Anything the DOD is involved in you have to wonder about top-secret weapon study in space. Or at least I do.