Foley's Follies

Discussion in 'World Events' started by S.A.M., Sep 30, 2006.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1541195,00.html

Thanks to his previous work against pedophiles, the Florida congressman who sent possibly inappropriate emails to a teenager had little choice but to resign. Now the GOP has yet another vulnerable seat to defend

One of the most troubling parts of the emerging scandal involving former Rep. Mark Foley, is this: he chaired the House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children.

Foley carved out a role for himself as a congressional leader on the issue of exploited children, and is credited with authoring important sections of the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006 which President Bush signed into law this summer.

He worked with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children whose website has pictures of him presenting awards to law enforcement officers and children who survived and or helped bring child predators to justice.

It would be a fascinating psychological study to try and understand how Foley could be both sending such emails to high schoolers while at the same time fighting against child predators. He is like the firefighter who turns out to also be an arsonist.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2006/09/why_did_foley_k.html

Rep. Foley is currently sitting on a $2.8 million war chest , much of it left over from a dashed US Senate bid. Typically, that money might go to the NRCC's campaign coffers, to help elect other Republicans.

But if Rep. Foley really wants to show some contrition, he should donate it all to the Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Some people of the world are bad people, some are good people. Ain't no denying human nature.

The world would be a better place if all humans simply disappeared from the Earth.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually it looks like he was just showing the same kind of worker curiousity any boss shows for his underlings. Taken out of context the statements are easily twisted. However he maybe just the kind of boss who sends you a card on your birthday, has a compnay scrapbook and such. My guess is that he stepped down so quickly becuase he is single and it could be twisted to be even uglier.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't think telling a sixteen year old that you would like to take off his shirt and shorts count as "curiosity". Not where I come from, at least.

8. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Interesting I saw nothing of that in either link you posted. In fact i have seen only excerpts from the e-mails. Either you have information you are withholding or it is information you are fabricating.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Or maybe it is information being shown ad nauseum on the news as released by the Ethics Committee going over the IMs of the former Republican.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/politics/15649897.htm

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The article would suggest that Foley was set up.

"Foley's resignation brings a new volatility to this fall's midterm campaigns, in which Republicans are trying to fight off a Democratic insurgency to reclaim the House majority after 12 years of GOP rule. Democrats need to pick up 15 seats to take control of the chamber, and Foley's heavily Republican district is now a surprise new opportunity for Democrats."

11. Vega Banned Banned

correction!, the world would be a better place without bad people!

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

"Bad" as defined by whom? And what if others don't agree with that definition and/or ruling? Should they start blowing up and killing innocent women and children in protest?

Baron Max

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Okay, I give up! Can someone tell me how the senator's email was discovered? I've read several accounts now of this incident, but no one has explained how these emails came into public attention.

Baron Max

14. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Like most sex scandals, this one broke with a complaint by someone who did not appreciate a politician's sexual come-on. In this case a 16-year-old complained to hill staffers about Foley's flirts.

What's more unusual to me here is the surprising power of party fealty: Here we have the Baron groping to defend a gay politician who flirts with young men.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Huh?? Where in the fuck did you get that idea??? ..pull it out of your asshole?

Baron Max

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They were apparently published on a website dedicated to tracking sexual predators.

It's apparently been going on since 2005.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Ahh, thank you, Sam. I hadn't read that, or anything else that told the details of ...how it was discovered. Thanks,

Baron Max

18. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"Huh?? Where in the fuck did you get that idea??? ..pull it out of your asshole?"

By your standard defense: You were questioning the means by which Foley's homosexual sexual affinity for teens became public. I commented on that, because I can't imagine that you would have made even such a fleeting defense, for instance, of Clinton's improprieties. Party fealty.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hype, you're just making blind accusations about me for some reason ...and without any substantiating evidence to back it up.

I asked a simple question because I didn't know how it was discovered .....Sam was kind enough to answer it without making idiotic, personal accusations.

Baron Max

20. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I have only accused you of bias, which we all have. It seems to me that you would more readily defend a Republican over a Democrat. That's an unsurprising aside, and not much to get riled up about. Relax.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I don't know where or how you got the idea that I'm staunchly republican, but it's just not so. In fact, if you lined them up with the democratics, I'd use them both, indiscriminately, for target practice!

I've never voted for republicans or democrats simply because of their party affiliation ....I voted for the person, what he stood for, how he conducted himself, etc. I'm also cautious of all politicians, watching for lies and untruths, because I'm convinced that anyone who wants to be a government official should almost automatically be disqualified from holding office!!

But, Hype, I'm still interested in your comments about the issue of "human rights" and why, if we hold those rights true for all people of the world, why you don't advocate invasion to set all the people free? I mean, if you hold those ideals so highly and so broadly, like for the terrorists, then why not for some of the nice people of the world?

Baron Max

22. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"why, if we hold those rights true for all people of the world, why you don't advocate invasion to set all the people free?"

Because it is not feasible, because it would be overwhelmingly resented, and because would foment greater abuses of human rights. If we instead set the best example in setting our own house in order, others will be far more likely to emulate and cooperate with us. Whether they choose to or not gets back to freedom, where force does not intrude. We now return to the topic of the thread.

The Republicans did a masterful job spinning this scandal. But it does help to have a tacit one-party system ruling.

23. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

While not the case here, gotta love this day and age where our government tracks our phone calls, internet activities, who and what we say online..

Talk about a double-edged sword when it comes back to haunt the people who advocate those spying techniques.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- N