Red Red Wine... and Grapes

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Epictetus, May 5, 2012.

1. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

I have been hearing for years that wine is good for our health because of the resveratrol, or some such stuff in the skins of grapes.Yet there are those who insists that drinking wine good for you. While I can understand that people who are devotees of the vine are bound to think so, why do we have to keep seeing countless articles on the matter?

Shouldn't they be saying that grapes and especially their skins are what is good for you? Eat more raisins!? Why bring the matter of wine into it at all, unless of course, it is exactly what it appears to be: a transparent attempt to excuse excessive wine drinking?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's more concentrated. But I don't believe a word of it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I'll drink to that!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

There is also evidence that all forms of alcohol in moderate dosages have a benifit for the cardiovascular system. It's just red wine gets this double because of the antioxydents in the red itself

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I wish I had never heard this theory.
    All this wine drinking.
    I hate it.
    But I must persist to be healthy.

9. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Kremmen. Please, you know that theory very well and you don't hate drinking wine. You fucking love it.

I'm well aware of the health benefits of red wine, it scrapes the plaque clear off the vascular walls, that shit is like green tea on steroids but much more fun.
    Australian wine has the best antyoxydents (sic) and the cheaper the better, you know, more effective. You don't want to fuck around with any namby pamby shirazes or or frickin' pinot grigios, go straight for a solid large volume Cab sav. that shit is like sandpaper to the venous pathways but a fine grade sandpaper like a wet and dry, it smoothes everything to a fine tilth.
    Shit, you should have some right now. I know I am.

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Cabernet S. a better degrunger of arteries than Shiraz?
    I doubt it.

Australian Shiraz would strip a 100 year old teapot.
    In fact, if you have high cholesterol, you must drink it.
    it's your duty.
    Cholesterol has no chance against it.

You must be drinking the good stuff.
    Again.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

No contradiction offered.

Therefore, as a scourer of human pipes, and a cleanser of all ills, Australian Shiraz is second to none.

Damn it. I must buy even more now.
    How I hate the stuff.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

You people are nuts Shiraz isn't paint stripper, it's a nice subtle drink with complex flavours especially the cold climate stuff from the yarra valley, it's cab sav which has no subtlety

13. TAMallick Registered Member

It is absolutely true wine has medicinal value. But drinking wine is not good for health, you may consume it as medicine. Also we should remember that if wine is good for grapes, then we should try to eat more grapes, but don't wine. Every fruits is good for health, it has no side effect. Also fruits can rise our preventive power. It is well known that prevention is better than cure.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I prefer fruity white wines like Moselle, but if I have to drink red I'll take a nice California Zinfandel.

Do they even make Zinfandel anywhere else?

15. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Fraggle, I believe meant Californian Zinfandel.

Sharpen up on your linguistics sunshine...and FFS, stop drinking Moselle you big girl.

Next you'll be putting fucking milk in your coffee or water with your Scotch or freakin' coke in your bourbon.

HTFU!

16. mistygreen Registered Member

I love red wine.I am drinking red wine almost daily..And yes drinking red wine is good for health.There are number of health benefits of drinking red wine.The main health befits are it helps to protect from the heart stroke,it lower the blood pressure and cholesterol.

17. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Horse Heaven Hills, Midnight, Simi, Martini and Vendage are all US West Coast cabs, each has outstanding characteristics that set it apart from the others, yes those differences are indeed subtle.

My favourite is the Midnight, but then, I am not a connoisseur like Frag.

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Why would I drink US wine? I RARLY drink NZ wine and even then Only for a REALLY exceptional cold climate white. I live in a wine region so why would I buy outside Australia?

19. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Subtlety?

I can buy Australian cab right off the shelf at the local grocery, have done just that for reason of curiosity and variety.

I am partial to NZ inanga jade though.....

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=mcafee&va=inanga jade

have a nice chunk I traded a Mauri artisan for some pipe stone from the Ojibwe quarry. Much sweeter than W coast N American, also more subtle.

...and nothing holds a candle to Lightening Ridge broad flash crystal body black seam opal.

20. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Variety?

And anyway are US wines even more expensive there than local stuff? I was under the impression that your currency has been doing rather well lately...

Also Fraggle was right about the CA zins - if you're not drinking those, you're missing out.

I happen to live in one of the most reputable wine regions in the world, and it sure doesn't stop me from buying wines from elsewhere. A deal is a deal, and anyway there's no one region that exceeds at every style of wine out there, so...

21. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

Wow... So many of you have so completely missed the point of this thread! My OP was:

:bawl::​

22. NickyH Registered Member

Whatever heart benefit wine drinkers say of , comes from the grapes used in making wine, NOT from the alcoholic contents of wine.Medical Experts have acknowledged that alcohol consumption can never be good for health.Now you got the point?

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Incorrect, most health experts state that 1-2 standed drinks a day have a protective effect which is above and beyond whats foud in grapes alone but there are some side effects which are an increased risk of throat cancer

So it's a trade off but so is everything personally I go with the lower risk of CVD to the slight increased risk of throat cancer