MSN messenger -> Windows Live

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by s0meguy, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Why did they change the name? Doesn't strike me as a very good marketing decision, don't fix what isn't broken.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I hate that program anyways...it=bad for your computer

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jlocke Registered Senior Member

It's part of their 'Live' campaign (ex. Live.com search engine), which they hoped would rival Google...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Not a very good campaign then. I'm very computer-literate and reasonably tech-aware but have barely heard of Windows Live - and didn't realise it relates to MSN Messenger in any way. Mind you, I never use the thing.

8. jlocke Registered Senior Member

Agreed. I can only surmise that they were hoping they would be able to get traffic from a large Microsoft-loyal base that turns out not to have existed. I personally think that the reason the campaign hasn't been successful is because (just like Vista) they have offered nothing new, nothing exciting, and nothing even remotely revolutionary. What does live.com have that Google doesn't have? That's why I believe, ultimately, Vista will not be able to compete with Mac OSX, Mac at least is making an effort to make significant improvements to the user's operating system experience.

9. CutLess Registered Member

I agree with everything here. However, I still kind of have a grudge against both Apple and especially Microsoft. I hate that Microsoft has made an agreement with basically all computer companies, making those companies only able to put Microsoft software in their computers. Linux always get overlooked because of that one agreement (however, Dell took the initiative to put Linux in some of their models).

My grudge with Apple revolves around the fact that you can only get the Apple OS on Apple hardware and nowhere else. The fact that Apple has the money to have at least 2 or 3 companies put it in their computers, but still chooses not to, makes a "Mac > Windows" or "Windows sucks" campaign outrageously hard to support.

But I digress from the topic; I think the whole "Live" campaign was to make Vista come in with something that was seemingly new.

10. jlocke Registered Senior Member

I don't think that the reason Linux gets overlooked is because computer makers are 'locked in' to putting Windows on their machines, I think it's more that the general consumer does not use Linux.

11. CutLess Registered Member

Well, that's true mainly because most people stay in the dark about different OS's. Microsoft has monopolized the software industry and kept people from getting something better or simply different.

12. jlocke Registered Senior Member

I completely agree, although I would say that at the moment the best operating system software out is Mac. I do agree, however, that the monopolization of Microsoft has been detrimental to advances in operating systems, I'm just glad Macs been able to show them some competition. Hopefully, all OSs involved will start renovating again and we can see some real improvement.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I use Adium, it incorporates messenger, yahoo, jabber and hence does away with the need for me to accomodate all my family/friends choice of messaging programs. Waiting for it to incorporate cell phones so dad can get on the list

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Actually it's a little more than just the rivalling of Google. Over the last week or so has been the 5th anniversary of XBOX Live! (This is where Live came from).

XBOX live's market place in the US has more than just XBOX gaming on it, you can download television programs, music videos and films. This I believe is why the 'Brand naming change' in regards to a few of the Microsoft networking/community products. (Messenger can also be accessed now by the XBOX 360)

15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

for last 10 or so days a very annoying small box related to MSN appears in the center of my screen and closing it only causes it to return almost immediately. The second closing of it usually keeps it away for 5 minutes or so. There appears to be no way to keep it from taking control of my computer. I tried to click on the larger "background" but the MSN box is some sort of "dialog box" and will not let me "bury it" without any responce behind the things I want to do.

I will definitely buy an Apple based OS when I replace my current computer. I dis liked MS for years, but went along with the crowd, but now they have made me extremely angry at MS - never again will I buy from them.

I tried to see if control-alt-delete would give me a stronger option of closing this annoying box, but they cleverly avoided even letting it be listed as "running."

If no one can help me permanently kill this propaganda for MSN, I will join and only post my anger and intention to buy only Apple (or lynix OS) in the future. - seems that is all I can do. If you can help me kill this pest, PLEASE do so.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2007
  16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If you could do a Screenshot of the box on your screen, it can be identified if it's truly an MSN prompt or a fake one. (Fake ones could be placed as a trojan to capture information should you enter it etc)

Since it's difficult to tell what you are actually seeing, it's difficult to suggest an action.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

for people with XP that don't use windows messenger, you can remove it from your machine by going to control panel>add/remove programs.
    click on windows components, and then uncheck the windows messenger box.

if you don't want to be that extreme you can keep it from starting when windows does by the tools or options menu (can't remember which, i've already uninstalled mine).

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

BS! Microsoft dominate because there products are well marketed, work well, and are simple to use.

Because of budget constraints, I once deployed Linux and StarOffice to bunch of allegedly IT literate support staff. Luckily, one recipient was the HoD's secretary, who moaned so much he gave me the budget to buy Windows and MS Office.

A Geek using Linux, vs a person who just sees the computer as a tool are different things. Try supporting a bunch of real people, and you'll quickly learn that Linux is not a viable option for the masses.

19. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

My old hard drive failed and I bought replacement couple of months ago during visit to USA. I also got fantastic deal on the last store displayed Acer 3680* and immediately upgraded the original 500 Meg of RAM to 1.5 Gigs (for only $39 also on promotion at Best Buy that day.) I sold the restored XP machine when back in Brazil to almost break even. The new one runs Vista.

Even with 1.5Gigs of RAM, Vista runs significantly slower than XP would, but finally MS is giving me some choices instead of me fighting MS's decisions. Also Vista checks a lot of things for my OK, before proceeding and I do like that.

I will look at the recently added MS programs and see if I can find something that is ceasing control of my computer to try to make me participate in MS network. Thanks for the suggestion.
    -------------
    *Store manager told me the 0.5 gigs of RAM it came with was too little for Vista and for that reason Best Buy had discotinued selling that model.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2007
  20. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i love windows live i am glad of the change

21. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

I think MSN/Windows Live is quite popular outside of the US

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.