Do You Believe In Legalizing Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Anarcho Union, Mar 3, 2010.

?

Do you believe in legalizing marijuana?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Maybe

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

I do, it has less negative effects than legal cigarettes or alcohol. Its not even chemicaly addicted (in most people) unlike cigs or alcohol.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

And just to clear something up, I have never used pot. I still respect that it is currently illegal

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I don't use pot either, never have. But it seems to me we are wasting a lot of money on marijuna. We should lablel it like cigarettes and tax it instead of spending millions of dollars, if not billions of dollars, on enforcement laws. It should be treated like cigarettes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

I think once the U.S. goes into a depression weed will be legalized because we won't be able to support all the inmates in prison for possession nor the police to raid and arrest and watch people on probation for weed-related crimes and that will bring us out of the depression.

8. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

I completly agree.

9. John99 Banned Banned

Are you basing this off anything other than your desire for it to be true?

Overall, weed is more damaging to the lungs than cigarettes if ingested in equal amounts. One difference is that a cigarette smoker smokes anywhere from one pace to five packs a day. I remembere reading that one mj ciggy ='s one pack of tobacco smokes. That is probably close to accurate. Weed leaves a sticky resin whereas tobacco does not. but then if you pick any shrub off the side of a road and dry it out and smoke it then i would make the conclusion that it would be bad for a persons lungs.

It is addictive. But thats not really the issue. One issue is what consequences a person is willing to accept for doing something.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think you are going to be hard pressed to prove that it is more damaging. But this is really a question not about mj but about the roll government plays in our lives. I don't think (as a general rule) it is the roll of government to protect individuals from themselves. Individuals should be free to make choices if they have the information necessary to make responsible choices.

11. John99 Banned Banned

Hi Joe, I added to the post.

As to you second comment, i dont think that is too much of an issue for a pot smoker. Perhaps more of an issue for a non smoker. The laws vary form state to state but really, in terms of legal repercussions it is not a serious conviction for smoking weed and getting a fine. But it depends on the laws in the state, some places it is like a speeding ticket other than that i am not really sure.

As far as employment, even if it was legal this does not mean an employer would hire you anyway if you test positive for mj just like a person who is an alcoholic, does not mean they are exempt from being turned down for employment.

12. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

No "sticky resin" in cigarettes? How exactly would you describe tar then?

13. John99 Banned Banned

Now IF the OP were to compare mj to crack, meth etc. then i would agree with his op. but as it is stated i say it is fallacious op.

Basically for reasons stated. You need to consider amounts ingested. If someone comes home or goes to a bar and has one or two drinks then he would be WRONG. If someone smokes one ciggy a day...then he would be WRONG. Can someone do the same with weed? sure, but not everyone.

14. John99 Banned Banned

How would you describe tar? i really dont know because if you look in the street at tar it looks remarkably similar to what is left in a pipe of rolled mj cigarette.

Dont misunderstand what i am saying here. I am not a fanatic as to the dangers of weed and could care less what people do but it is best to know the truth.

If someone told me i know plenty of crack heads who just take one hit and that is it then i would think they are either lying or serious misinformed.

15. John99 Banned Banned

A factual statement, i believe, is: Drinking a small amount of alcohol (one shot of vodka or wine) is good for you then i would certainly agree with that. Beer? perhaps. Many people cannot do that though and alcoholism is a very serious problem for the subject.

On a whole, binge drinking is where anything can happen and none of it good and some of it very, very bad. This is not an issue for weed so i will include that in my synopsis.

Just as there really are people who can smoke one cigarette a week or one at a party but they are few and far between. However, it does happen, therefore i conclude it can happen. That is not the norm though.

16. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Are you basing this off anything other than your desire for it to be true?

17. John99 Banned Banned

See post #'s 6 and 11.

18. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

people wont smoke as much weed as cigs why? because they wouldnt beable to move if u smoke 12 joints a day you will be worthless and get fired

19. John99 Banned Banned

sifreak, that same conclusion is in one of my posts.

20. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

There's no evidence whatsoever that would prove that mj causes cancer.

"no positive associations between marijuana use and lung, upper respiratory, or UAT (upper digestive tract) cancers."

http://bcccs.yvr.thelevel.com/resou...cer Cancer Epidem Biomarkers Prev 2006[2].pdf

"Lung cancer has not been reported in people who smoke only marijuana, possibly because less smoke is inhaled than during cigarette smoking, and the smoke contains fewer carcinogenic substances."

http://patient-health-education.suite101.com/article.cfm/adverse_effects_of_marijuana

21. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

I agree. The government doesnt have the right to tell us wether or not we can smoke cigs, so why pot? Again, i've never touched the stuff, but I dont think its right for them to tell people that they can or cannot

22. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately, I can't agree with you. Since when has the State been burdened by deficits deep and wide? I can see them expanding the prison population actually. Depression, riots, general discord: plenty of good reasons to imprison people! I can't give you any solid numbers at this moment, but I have heard there are quite a few large, empty, detainment facilities just waiting for the right event.
    Hardin, Montana is an example. A scary example.

Just think about it: a huge slave labour population. Is it hard to imagine that there are persons in this country that would just love to implement Chinese style prison camps and workforces in this country?

Not saying this WILL happen. I see it as a possibility.

23. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I think actually many of the cannabinoids exhibit strong anti-oxidant as well as anti-cancer properties.