Are you for or against a National ID card?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jmpet, Feb 20, 2010.

1. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Are you for or against a National ID card and why?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

National ID cards are good in the interests of security and efficiency and conformity, but not in the interests of liberty. Thus, I am against a national ID card.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

Against. In the USA. In smaller-ish countries, sure, why not.

Individual states are supposed to be the government entities that "manage" daily life (and even that is a stretch in a good republic). I see no need to carry a federal ID card, outside my passport. The FBI has no trouble finding me if they need me.

~String

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Good point. This, along with many other things, is best left to the states to handle.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Diver licenses function well enough in this role, why add more bureaucracy? What the benefit of a national ID card?

9. Pasta Registered Senior Member

Just one more card to keep track of and hope you don't lose or get your ID theft. Driver's licenses should be sufficient imo, and passports are sufficient for people going in and out of the country imo.

10. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I'm against it. But can we get a poll in this thread????

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well we already have the Social Security card that everyone must have so in a way we already have a national ID card.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

exactly. In australia vertually everyone over 18 has one of (at least) 3 forms of photo id. Drivers licence, proof of age card, key pass, why do they carry one of these 3? because if you want to buy alchole you are required to produce photo ID which shows you are 18 or older.

For tax purposes everyone is required to have a Tax file number which alows the employer to pay tax on your behalf or you can chose not to and have a much higher rate taken out of your pay and then claim it back at tax time.

Lastly everyone who is a permident resident of Australia or citizan is eligable for a medicare card which is used exclusivly to bill the goverment for medical services (basically swipe and go for alot of services)

The fact that these are all broken up limits the fraud which can be commited a)against you b)against the goverment if these things become compromised. There for its a REALLY bad idea to make one all encompersing ID card

13. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

What's a National ID and what is the purpose of having one, is it like a passport?

14. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Don't see why not, but what's wrong with passports?