Family Fool Sarah Palin just can't win

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PieAreSquared, Feb 20, 2010.

1. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

why does her opinion matter?its not her family that is being attacked by a tv show.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

She's pretty ugly (Andrea Friedman).........

Hey, if she can make fun of others, I can make fun of her, right? It's all in good fun! She's ugly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

That not "making fun" that stating a fact.

8. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

The only "attack" on Palin was that the Ellen character states she was the child of a former Alaska governor. Unless Ellen's character portrayed those with Down's Syndrome in a bad light then, there was no "attack" on Palin at all, just a reference by (strong) implication.

Ellen was portrayed as a bitch, but not as a bitch "because" she had Down's Syndrome. I am personally offended that Sarah Palin refuses to admit that people with Down's Syndrome come in the full range of human types (which includes the capacity to develop negative personality traits). In her world, I guess, if you have Down's Syndrome, then you have to be positive and friendly, because the only complaint she could have against the episode is that Ellen was not that.

9. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

why was the reference made to sarah palin's family?

10. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

11. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

It was part of the meta-joke, in that the viewer was kind of *expecting* them to make fun of Down's Syndrome sufferers qua Down's Syndrome sufferers. There was one joke about Ellen's eye spacing being somewhat off but her eyes otherwise being beautiful, but there were no other jokes that related to any handicap. Referencing the former governor played to the sense that they were going to insult those with Down's Syndrome, and they never did.

I suppose it's also possible that they tried, and the jokes were just so unfunny that it did not feel like they were making fun, though Chris Griffin made the point explicitly that people with Down's Syndrome are just like anybody else.

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

so your mocking her for the symptoms of down syndrome? man that's just wrong

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yup.

Family Guy can mock people for race, religion, and diseases, so why can't I? Family Guy says it's okay!

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

but that wasn't what they were doing. god when will the right get humor

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Something About Merit: Perhaps the ignorant should just shut up?

Go watch the epidode "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein" from DVD with the commentary turned on.

My seven year-old only needed to hear that explanation once—when she was about four—in order to understand those parts of Family Guy's humor. And once you've figured out that basic principle of comedy, head on over to read the Parents Television Council denunciation of this season's first couple of episodes.

And when you've done that, by all means come on back here and show us that you have acquired something resembling a clue as to what you're talking about.

Notes:

Parents Television Council. "Worst TV Show of the Week". October 9, 2010. ParentsTV.org. February 20, 2010. http://www.parentstv.org/PTC/publications/bw/2009/1009worst.asp

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I've always hated crude, inappropriate, offensive humor. It isn't funny to make light of serious issues.

Real comedy is the comedy that makes you laugh without resorting to racism and stupidity.

17. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

making people laugh is a good way to get people thinking about things.

there was nothing bigoted nor stupid about it.

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I disagree. I think it just makes people care less about serious issues; it makes them comedic matters, when they shouldn't be. Even Socrates and Plato were very much against comedy, especially when it involved real world issues.

Nonsense. Shows like that have, time and time again, mocked other cultures, religions, groups of people, and historical and political figures. It's not okay.

19. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

comedy to the greeks was very different and it touched on real world issues.

Its satire. ITs perfectly ok. people have been doing for hundreds of years. Read jonathon swift's a modest proposal. Your just whiny because its people and things you like are the things usually being satired.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

The same as much of comedy today. What's your point?

Satire is stupid. It's childish, first of all. Second of all, it reduces serious intellectual debates to mere matters of mockery and jest, and it keeps politics alive and people arguing for the sake of arguing. It makes it seem "cool" to be stupid.
    Of course. Nobody ever said the writers of Family Guy were intelligent. The point is, however, that comedy like this takes serious issues and makes them laughing matters. Documentaries and tragedies are much better for conveying the seriousness and magnitude of a subject than comedy.

21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

you said the main greek scholars were against it.

Satire is one of the highest forms of comedy. the stupid can't do it.

actually I did. they are smart. probably a lot smart than you.

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I said Socrates and Plato were against it. Learn to read.

Satire takes skill to create, but I never said otherwise. I only said that satire and mockery were low forms of entertainment, generally for the childish; and that they were detrimental to society because they made laughing matters of serious subjects. They make comedy out of real issues. They defame historical and political figures.

That's not very good, in my opinion. Documentaries and tragedies do a much better job, because they are actually serious in nature.

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

well first off your going to have to prove that.

You have no idea what satire is do you? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_satirists_and_satires some of the greatest writer throghout history are on that list. ITs made for the adult and intelligent. Satire is by no means a low form of entertainment.

but unlike humor they can't get some to think about it if they disagree.