My name is Khan [second try]

Discussion in 'Politics' started by S.A.M., Feb 18, 2010.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The movie I talked about in this thread has been released over the last weekend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Name_Is_Khan

Movie trailer with English subtitles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgoZ-K30sxg

Its a movie about racial profiling of Muslims by Americans post 9/11

Shahrukh himself gets set aside for security checks at American airports and is no stranger to the profiling [as Challenger pointed out here]

The movie will have a world wide release and should strike a chord with Muslims all over the world. The main character has Asperger Syndrome and I will try and get tickets this weekend - very hard to get tickets right now

Note this thread is reposted here, because it was closed in Art and Culture

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I'm trying soooo hard not to make the obvious StarTrek reference right now >_>

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yeah, me, too. (And it's also sad that Ricardo isn't with us any longer.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What Star Trek reference?

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Thanks for reposting this in Politics rather than Art; given the political message, it's more suited to here anyway. I'll try to reproduce my response to the original thread rather than the one you linked to.

So: Robert Spencer gets searched and interrogated quite a bit too. He puts up with it in the name of security. I don't mind the security features either; or at least not in a significant proportion compared to the costs of being blown up. What are we to make of Shahrukh's complaints, then? Is he unaware that most airport terrorism is Islamic? Is he unaware that most airports conduct random searches of everyone? I've seen any number of individual complaints by Muslims of airport scrutiny, but never any statistics indicating that they're more likely to be stopped in the first place, and extraordinarily few instances of support for this quite reasoned stance. One wonders how many more planes would have been downed had there been no profiling, if indeed there is profiling in the first place.

Second: what race are Muslims again?

The "Report" button is right up there in the right-hand corner, Sam.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Go ahead if criticism isn't your thing. Perhaps I'm profiling you.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I didn't report the thread, Spencer is a racist so I don't care what he is profiled as. Muslims are the sand niggers, or hajis as the more PC term is, that is when they are not mown grass or collateral damages.

Sufficient to say that they are "non-people" who get profiled as terrorists. Never mind if its me, Shahrukh Khan or our ex-President.

I hear its a good movie, I'm looking forward to watching it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry: what race are Muslims again? What race are Christians and Buddhists?

I still need that evidence of profiling, and a rational defense of not profiling.

By comparison, do you feel it's necessary for Islamic countries to keep a greater than usual watch on Israelis moving about in their countries? Why or why not?

11. otheadp Banned Banned

I've seen people get profiled at airports. I've been pulled aside and had my car searched a few times by arrogant young kids in their early 20s on a power trip. I've been patted down many times. I've seen old ladies made to get out of their wheel chairs and go thru the metal detectors, as their knees buckled under them and they shook violently, barely holding their own weight. And I've seen brown people pulled aside and treated the same way.

It is equally disgusting to see. When I see a brown person being pulled out of a line for a search, I don't feel "GOOD! Let those Muslims pay!" ... I feel sadness and anger and disgust and frustration that a few fanatic dickwads had made it a necessity for us (the civilized world) to institute these screenings at airports and other places. And I feel sad for these brown people who had done absolutely nothing wrong.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That would really suck, having autism and being searched all the time.

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

14. otheadp Banned Banned

LOL the 2nd pic is hilarious! :bravo:

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Okay so I saw it today, unfortunately I don't have a good review for it. It was not a good movie. The only part I liked was how well he showed the difficulties of persons with Aspergers and how the disability is not an impediment to normal life.

Everything else was overdone and way exaggerated. I'd give it a 2 on 5 and only because the music was fantastic.