Where is white history month?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Norsefire, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

This month of February is the annual "Black History Month", designated for the celebration of the accomplishments within the black community and in overall black history.

Now, sure, it's interesting to have such a month...but, where's White History Month? Whites have alot of accomplishments too, right? So, where is it?

Though, it's probably "politically incorrect"........after all, if a black man does something, it's okay, he was the victim of discrimination. However, if a white man were to celebrate such a month, he'd be racist and evil and bigoted.

Right? Right.

And where is Arab history month? I'm offended. What about Algebra, and our contributions to Spanish culture? And all the other things? I want Arab History Month!

And let's not forget Native American History Month......where is that?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

It's not a month, and is referred to by the name "the entirety of US history."

Arabs are considered whites, under the definitions used by the US government.

November. You may have heard of the primary holiday in that month, which celebrates Native American contributions to US society and culture. It's called "Thanksgiving."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Are we in danger of glossing over the effects of caucasians on history? The reason for black history month is that U.S. history looks (and in fact is) largely a tale of whites until you reach the civil rights movement. That's slightly unfair, since blacks are mentioned as a group under the term "slaves" prior to the end of the civil war.

Crispus Attucks was black, a fact that was not mentioned when I took American History in high school, but then again my teacher asserted that there were no major African civilizations in the sub-Saharan region before European colonization.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Doreen Valued Senior Member

The others have made good points. When I was taught history in public school in the US the vast % of great men in the books were white. The important documents and inventions were ones created by white men. And by men I mean men not men and women. The US had a special history in relation to blacks. Not simply slavery but a long history of official negative propaganda against them. To counterbalance these lies and distortions, to officially support a new way of looking at blacks, in a sense to acknowledge how fucked up history and sociology had been taught both openly and implicitly, a month was set aside. That Native Americans might deserve similar treatment might not be a bad idea. I could imagine it for other groups. But whites are not getting slighted, there is no dearth of great white men being the test answers of schoolchildren across the nation. They are not the victims of History classes.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its the other 11 months

9. John99 Banned Banned

The u.s has, by far, the highest number of black people in government positions and business positions, sports, entertainment. many black governors, mayors, police chiefs far more than any other country. the president.

I dont see any problem with black history month at all.

10. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Black History month is stupid, the racists who write History books and sell them to our schools should include other historical facts besides Slavery. Liberal Hollywood isn't to much better. Even though the army during WW1 & 2 was 12% Black, you never see them in any WW1 or 2 movies. The only movies that showed them were Pearl harbor and Miracle at St. Anna out of the thousands that have been made. I didn't learn any extensive Black History until I took a Black History class in College. I was astounded that many of the fascinating things I've learned were never included in any mainstream History books.

11. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Every month is white history month. How often in history class do you get the history of white people? Oh that's right in every class. There were more black people important to America's history besides just Martin Luther King Jr. and George Washington Carver and those people often get glazed over if they're even mentioned in history books.

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

FUCK! Sam bet me to it. :bawl:

Public school kids don't read the People's History of United States of America, but they really should, teach them how much blood America was founded on!

13. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I never noticed it stopping during that 12th month, but some variety does get tossed in during that time. It is also the shortest month of the year. I suppose some people thought they could just manage to hold their breath that long.

14. EmptySky Banned Banned

It's interesting that the goal of blacks throughout history has been acceptance by and integration into the white world. On that point alone I think that the idea of black history can only ever be, at best, a kind of tokenism. Calling for a greater understanding of black history is only deepening the level of the farce.

At worst, though, it's a cynical manipulation by whites, a display of unbridled aggression and power over a phenotype they're slowly exterminating.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Yes and all of the Native Americans that were slaughtered by the whites. The genocide that nearly wiped out all of the Native peoples by the whites is NEVER brought up in history , why is that? :shrug:

16. EmptySky Banned Banned

Economically they're insignificant, nationally and internationally. Physically they barely exist.

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well there were at most 20 million of them at one time, but yes today they are economically and politically insignificant, are you saying that way there suffering is not in the books?

18. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

well the arabs wherent enslaved by the "white man" and black history month is to celebrate what the blacks had to go thru to get the same rights as the white man... altho we should be thanking the whites after all the work they made us do "in general" were faster stronger more athletic that the "white man" lol

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Why would such a month be needed? I could well agree with a Native American month, however: Thanksgiving is possibly not the one they would choose, as I can imagine they would have little thanks overall for their association with us.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

And when the white Americans are economically disadvantaged I guess the Chinese will come in and eradicate them too.

21. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

bingo.

22. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Wrong.

Jan - N/A

Feb - Black History Month.

Mar - Women’s History Month

Apr - Arab American History Month

May - Asian Pacific American History Month & Older Americans Month

Jun - Gay and Lesbian Pride Month & Caribbean American Heritage Month

Jul - N/A

Aug - N/A

Sep - Hispanic Heritage Month (15 Sep to 15 Oct) & German American History Month (coincidentally ALSO starting on 15 Sep)

Oct - Hispanic Heritage Month (15 Sep to 15 Oct) & National Disability Employment Awareness Month

Nov - National American Indian Heritage Month

Dec - N/A

So that leaves 4 months unassigned. However, that does not automatically deem them as White History Months.

There has been a push recently to make a European American History Month to fall within either January or October. But of course, it has seen no success.

-------------------------------------------------------

I also took a look at what "black" celebrations fall within the months... here are my findings.

Jan - Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Third Monday)

Feb - Black History Month

Mar - N/A

Apr - N/A

May - N/A

Jun - Juneteenth (Freedom Day or Emancipation Day)

Jul - N/A

Aug - Black Business Month

Sep - N/A

Oct - N/A

Nov - N/A

Dec - Kwanzaa (I debated whether this fit, but concluded it does).

Checkmate!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

MZ3Boy84,

The reply was rhetorical one, not a factual one, of course none of the months are designated white history month! Rather children study white history, no matter the month of the year, they study anglo-saxon and eurocentric view points all the way up until college. White people don't need a month to celebrate their race, they don't need racial self-esteem boosting! In this society white males are the everyman, their being "white" and "male" does not cause them problems, for everyone else problems, disrespect and oppression are correlated with the color of their skin, the shape of their eyes or the nature of their genitals, etc, and social organization have felt that these people need esteem boosting through times dedicated to showing how their ancestors struggled through worse and accomplished great things.