Na'vi Palestinians fight the separation wall.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by S.A.M., Feb 13, 2010.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Sure beats rockets and kidnappings, doesn't it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In Bilin? Makes no difference. The Palestinians still get kidnapped and targeted.

Hmm I wonder if they could use baseball bats to strike the tear gas canisters back to the IDF?

But those bastards would probably shoot them in return. Still its funny to see the Israelis throwing tear gas at the Naavi. Puts them right in the story so to speak.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Isn't it Na'vi?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Na'avi actually, like Bi'lin

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM THE LINGUISTICS MODERATOR * * * *

No. James R is Right: Na'vi.

I didn't know anything about the way the alien words are transcribed in English when I saw the movie, so I was not listening for phonetic accuracy.

I'm sure we have all seen the name misspelled with two A's by people who are influenced by their (perhaps unconscious) knowledge of the orthographic standards for transliterating foreign writing systems into English.

The apostrophe is most commonly placed between two vowels to show that they are two syllables rather than a diphthong or a Finnish-style long vowel, as in Xi'an, the Chinese city whose name is pronounced Shee-ahn, not Shyann.

It's also used to transcribe consonants that don't exist in standard English. For example, the ancient Hebrew letter Aleph represents a glottal stop: the missing T in Cockney wa'er or the gasp between the syllables in colloquial American Uh-uh for "No." Ancient Hebrew has no consonant clusters so Aleph always falls between two vowels: Ha'erec, although it can also be the first letter in a word and in fact the name of the letter is spelled properly by pedantic linguists as 'aleph.

(Don't listen for the glottal stop in Modern Israeli Hebrew. For two millennia Hebrew was spoken only in religious rituals by native speakers of Indo-European languages and Aramaic, so its "exotic" Semitic phonemes have vanished. Glottal and uvular stops and fricatives like 'Aleph, Ghayin and Qof are silent or morphed into more familiar sounds, the two forms of sounds like T have merged, W has become V, and final H and the neutral vowel Schwa are silent.)

There is no orthographic convention to tell us how to pronounce the apostrophe in Na'vi. It could be a glottal stop, in which case to American ears (but not British) it would sound like an admonition to correct a spelling error: "Not V!"

I'm sure I'll see the movie again so I'll try to remember to listen for it.

10. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

kinda of sad that aliens can realize their actions are wrong but the Israelis them selves for the most part cannot.

11. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

doing this may (hopefully) get people to be more in favor them. either by linking them conciously or subconciously to the fact the Na'vi only fought because they had too.

12. CptBork Valued Senior Member

That's complete and utter foolishness and defeats the whole purpose of peaceful protesting. For the Palestinians' own sake I sure hope they aren't listening to Gandhis like you. You don't protest peacefully about your right to use violence, and I doubt that's what these protesters are doing.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Realistically, Jews are the tiny minority in a sea of Arab nations.

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

linking the fact that any violence they have done was forced on them defeats peaceful protesting? No its a way to establish the reasoning behind the violence. The nonviolence they use is routinuely ignored in western media.
    Please there is no need to resort to such sarcastic and demeaning comments toward me. I advocate non violent means like that. It is about linking to the fact like the Na'vi they wanted a peaceful solution and that even after violence was brought against them they strove for peace but in the end when war was brought against them they stood up for them selves.
    Its not about your right to defend your self. its about showing how you cannot use just peaceful means against those who are determined to destroy you or replace you. pure nonviolence worked for the indians because the british citizens were generally concerned about commiting wrongs, the british had no intention of replacing the indian peoples, and the media presented the indians as a non violent people who were using nonviolence and being brutalized for it. The reverse is true in the Israel/Palestine conflict. The Israel's have no concern for what they do to the palestinians, the Israelis are actively trying to replace the palestinians the jewish people, and the media charaterizes the palestinians and brutish thugs who only know violence even though the vast majority of protest is peaceful and non violent and even when the palestinian use non violent means they deserve to be treated brutally because the evil violent people.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Just like the movie then, a few invaders with heavy machinery blowing up the homes of tens of thousands of Na'vi

edit: Hey who changed the title!!! There is no space between ' and v in Na'vi

CptBork:

You might to read Gandhi just a little bit more closely

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

So one of those arab nations be stripped of their rights and lands for that tiny jewish majority(not from the area) was justified. Just because arabs are more populaous doesn't give the jews the right to take from arabs.

17. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Its spelled Na'vi in all the offical media

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It was the Arab armies that invaded to kick the Jewish minority out, remember?

19. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

You mean the jewish army that invaded lands out side of its all ready huge(relative to population percent) lands? So tell me how is arabs attacking an army all ready out side of its home territory an invasion but a jewish army attacking lands out side of its home territory is self defense. that strikes as well a rather biased way of looking at it. and even if we accept you view on what constitues an invasion only 2 armies did so.including the most hopelessly out of date army in the conflict. They weren't trying to drive the jewish minority out. they were trying to ensure they didn't drive the arab majority out.

and even if they were trying to drive the jews out its hard to blame them. would you want to live next to people who acted as if you had no right to live on lands your family owned for ages and never made the attempt to deal with you?

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Stick to the movie guys. pj, cut it out.

21. CptBork Valued Senior Member

The vast majority of Palestinian violence was out of a desire for revenge, not for immediate needs of self defense. It's rubbish to even try justifying the actions targetting civilians and the attempts to provoke border clashes. The Palestinians have had channels open to them for 60 years that they've failed to use in making peace.

It seems to me the nonviolence is getting tons of attention, and Israel is losing popularity by the day the more it refuses to budge. Israel's best ally has been the stubbornness of its opponents to seek peaceful compromises, now under present circumstances that excuse is losing its appeal.

22. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

a comparison between the Na'vi and their reasons and the palestinains and their is well within the purview of this thread.

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No, they invaded because of the creation of the state of Israel, without Palestinian or Arab consent.