Should bands talk their views on politics, or shut their mouths and play music?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Anarcho Union, Feb 12, 2010.

?

Should bands talk politics?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

33.3%
  3. Depends which band (or other)

33.3%
  1. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

I believe that bands should speak their minds on politics. With fame comes influence, with influence comes responsiblity. I dont think bands should tell people that they are wrong, or that they should believe the way they do, but they should let the facts or whats on their mind be known.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

That would be because people who have spent a lifetime perfecting their musical talents (as opposed to, say, studying politics) are automatically keen political observers, right?

How many bands actually accept the responsibility?

And we're back to the indisputable contention that playing a guitar (and the years learning how to play it) qualifies you to know what a political fact is.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What's on their mind?
    Why the hell should a band's opinion on anything (other than maybe their music) be of interest to me?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Yet, oddly, that doesn't make them any smarter.

Sure, they should talk about their opinions. But I don't know if I'd trust a drug addict's opinion about who I should vote for.

You know...because I can read.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Dunno about you but I'm just gagging to hear the Jonas Brothers opinion on the single transferrable vote system.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

lol

If a band makes good music consistently then there's a good chance they apply the same quality of focus and attention to the other aspects of their life. So I don't think it's stupid to want to know what a favorite musician thinks about certain things.

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

What a joke.

How about Janis Joplin's opinion on heroine?

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

A lot of our celebrities do fluff. A very few take responsibility and take a stand. People listen to what they have to say.

Just yesterday I saw an Amir Khan ad, where he called the cops on some loafers who were hassling tourists. He spoke about our [alleged] tradition of hospitality. People watch this stuff and the alleged tradition could become a real one.

Shahrukh Khan is going through a media crisis now because he spoke up on the exclusion of Pakistani cricketers in the IPL. The Shiv Sena called him a traitor [he's actually the son of a freedom fighter] and told him to move to Pakistan. SRK refused to apologise for his remarks and the Sena has threatened to burn down any movie theater that screens his next release [My name is Khan] Shahrukh is smart, he took it to the media. He went on every show, every news media he could and spoke about India's democratic tradition, our innate sense of fair play and our freedom of expression. Students came out by the thousands [probably hundreds of thousands] and today, the first day of movie, all the shows are running to a full house. Kids are energised standing up for fair play and freedom of expression. The news media cooperated 100% interviewing actors, politicians [including the Sena] and kids on the street. Its a huge huge deal here today. The Sena could do nothing, the streets were thronged with supporters for Shahrukh - it would have been a bloodbath if they took it to the streets.

This is how societies are made. Never mind how corrupt we are, all people are motivated by a sense of justice.

So yeah, musicians and whoever can influence, should take a stand.

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

How do you work that out?
    I'm a shit-hot engineer but I couldn't tell you the first thing about local elections, let alone national politics.
    I'm a much-better-than-average chef, but you don't want my opinions on, say, interior decoration.

Sure, it can be interesting (whether in a prurient way or because you genuinely believe they have something worthwhile to say), but if bands are all so politically savvy how come they're not all rooting for the same guy?
    Maybe because they're subject to the same general lack of knowledge as the rest of us?
    Or maybe because they're all right (how does that work)?

I may be politically naive, but I know which I'd put my money on as the answer...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  12. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

But to what end?

What if their opinions are actually harmful for society?

For example, Charlie Daniels and Hank Williams, Jr. spoke out in support of the Iraq war.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And many others spoke out against it. Note that in my example, no one prevented anyone from defending the Sena position. Many Sena people came out on the first day [when SRK was in London 10 days ago] and for a few days till he came back everyone thought that surely no one would screen the movie for fear of a riot. Usually what happens is that the Sena threatens, there is a Bombay bandh, some shops are looted and some poor sod like Nikhil Wagle ends up beaten thoroughly with the government pussy footing around the Sena and bailing them out in a couple of days.

What SRK did is make history. He refused to apologise and he took it to the people.

So if there are celebrities speaking for the war, its the job of those against it to take a stand. All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. Granted Shahrukh was probably motivated by the amount of investment he had sunk into the movie [its a Hollywood production or release], but he could have just apologised and it would be over.

14. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

I wasnt saying that they were more politically empowered or that their opion even mattered.

15. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

I was talking in a more general way. Some musicians don't really have views on politics because they find it boring/waste of time.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And of the bands that do have opinions and are highly motivated how many differing opinions are there?
    We're still back to having to decide for ourselves which ones make sense and which ones are subversive lefties/ fascist wannabes/ whatever.

17. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

True, the only way to know what you truly believe would be to research for yourself. It's common though for a lot of people (especially younger people) to take up beliefs of their idols without questioning them.

18. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I guess the point I'm making is the following:

1.) Artists have a right to express their opinions.

2.) I'd rather take my opinions from people who don't spend all their spare time taking drugs and playing guitar. On the whole, I wouldn't expect an informed opinion about anything from a celebrity, anymoreso than I would by picking a random person from the street.

2b.) In fact, I'd go so far as to say that people who form their opinions based on the opinions of their favorite celebrities probably shouldn't be allowed to vote.

3.) It's sad that most people don't care about gathering informed opinions, and rather would rely on people like Bono to tell them about world events than to actually bother opening a newspaper or magazine.

4.) Though I haven't said it, there are obviously exceptions to all rules. There are probably some very smart people who happen to be celebrities. (Kris Kristofferson, for example, was a Rhodes scholar.) This is probably not the norm.

19. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

So, then, your question is:

``Should bands be allowed freedom of speech in regards to politics?''

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'd rather have more people expressing their opinions than less. Anything that increases awareness can only broaden your perceptions about an issue

21. otheadp Banned Banned

I don't know... in general I like the Beach Boys approach. They were criticized at the time for not making political songs or statements, to which Mike Love replied that they're not blind, that they're politically aware, but prefer to stay out of it because they just want to bring happiness to people.

I don't know if that was genuine, or if he was simply a Vietnam war supporter keeping his pro-war opinions to himself because he didn't want to be ostracized by American youth.

In any case, many of these bands are total idiots. Gene Simmons said it best (paraphrasing): "rock stars aren't the smartest bunch. If we wouldn't be doing this [making music, performing] we'd be selling burgers and fries".

On the other hand, a rock band like the Sex Pistols spewed political venom and were actually representative of the political feelings of their time.

I don't know...

But when I see musicians making music glorifying Obama, or Green Day singing about Bush being an "American Idiot" it makes me gag.

22. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Green Day's American Idiot wasnt about Bush. It was about the American public as a whole. The average "American Idiot." It also ties into the story line of St. Jimmy and Jesus of Suburbia.

I dont think that all bands and band members have a clue what there talking about. But as being in a band myself, I believe that our lyrics reflect a heavy political message. Im not saying that all bands should HAVE to say whats on their mind. Im just saying that they SHOULD be able to. And not be afraid of being censored when they do.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  23. John99 Banned Banned

Music should be enjoyabe, should be fun. i dont want to hear people bitching and complaining. and tbh, most of these guys are just reapeating what they read from some a-hole after they smoked.

The way i see it, save the bullshit.