Republicans for bipartisan commision on the deficit and now against it, why?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Feb 1, 2010.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Well, which answer do we seek?

Well, the simple answer is that they're Republicans. Even granting as a baseline the general dishonesty of politicians, when it comes to lies, it's GOP über alles.

The real answer is a bit more complex. The Democratic side I could understand if they were liberals: We always have to spend shitloads for wars and cronies abroad, but when it comes to the home front, "fiscal responsibility" is the watchword. As a liberal, I'm sick of this shit. But there's no guarantee the Democrats are on a liberal line at this point. It would be a safer bet that we're simply witnessing blind politics. Most of the GOP is playing the obstructionist role, and God only knows what the Democrats actually want.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

This is a lot like when Kerry ran for president and was accused of flip flopping. Now Republicans were for it before they were against it...talk about a flip flop. I would like to know why Republicans are against "pay as you go" now or against the deficit task force.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

How about don't even pay at all!

Well, okay, the government can pay for defense and courts

And then get the hell out of my life.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Oh, gee, like that was unexpected

Something about having your cake and eating it too?

Yeah. I understand. It's what any responsible person wants. I think the old LuAnn comic strip summed it up best twenty-some years ago: "Why can't my parents understand that all I want is for them to take care of me and leave me alone!"

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

But I don't want the government to "take care of me", in the sense that you speak of. It has its duties, and needs to stick to them; I don't want redistribution of wealth or bailouts or high taxes or all that nonsense. I want my defense and courts, and that's it; the rest is my responsibility to provide for myself.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Government made the middle class. If Norsefire had his way, there would be only the extreme poor and the extreme rich.

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Nonsense, because history and reality disagree with you.

But it is all pointless debate: liberals should have their area and conservatives should have their area, and then everyone can be happy.

12. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member