France sets up burka commission

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mrs.Lucysnow, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

The French National Assembly has appointed 32 lawmakers on a fact-finding mission to look at ways of restricting its use.

Assembly Speaker Bernard Accoyer said the lawmakers from right and left-wing parties would have six months to examine the issue before making recommendations.

In 2004, France banned the Islamic headscarves in its state schools.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8114590.stm

I find it odd that they need a commission to face a ban which is what they are basically looking to do,

Some French politician said on BBC worldwide service (sorry I don't remember his name) that the issue was of French national values and that the burkha created a situation whereby they were becoming less and less integrated and facing a divided but parallel society.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Just once, ONCE, I'd like to see a commission where any women decide what all men in their society should not wear.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I thought men looked nice in suits, accomplished, educated, successful. Do women generally not think so?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I thought women looked nice in veils, cultured, modest and upper class. Did men generally not think so?

Guess they changed their minds, huh?

8. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Bulimia?

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Je ne sais quoi

Neckties are tortue. They are a quiet symptom of a repressed masochism widespread in our culture. I think we learned it from the British, but I'm not blaming our neighbors across the pond. Americans are masters of self-defeat. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; yet we make ourselves miserable, or paranoid.

Oh, right.

France.

Well, you know, if they're going to do it, they might as well do it by committee. Commission. Groupthink. Whatever.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think France should also dump bras and corsets. Whats a little unsightly sag when compared to freedom?

PS do wire cups set off security alarms?

PPS why do men consent to wear neckties?

11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well corsets are no longer fashionable and bras are optional.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

And what's with the folding collars?

I'm way too high to do that one right now. I'll get back to you on it. But start with tribal, classist, and neurotic, and have fun with that.

Best I can think of right now is imagine all the jobs lost when the textile industry no longer needs anyone to repair the machines that make folded collars. And that's a pretty weak punch line.

:m:

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Anyway my thoughts on the burqa ban:

1. Women who feel naked without a burqa will not stop wearing one, they'll simply stop going out. Not going to help them much

2. Girls being sent home for wearing scarves will end up in madrassas or home schooled and will become even less of a member of "society" as the french see it

3. No burqa clad women have been asked their opinion, which is quite shabby considering its all about them

4. This ban is not about the burqa or even about the women wearing them [Sarkovzy is hardly a feminist, if you look at his cabinet] its about those who feel uncomfortable around women wearing burqas, its the kind of discrimination you see in people who are uncomfortable among those who are not their clones.

14. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

You know everyone complained when they banned the veil in school but guess what, the ban was instituted and life went on without a hitch, now no one even talks about it and muslim girls continue to go to school.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What happened to the girls who were wearing scarves?
    Guess they went to the Muslim schools where they could wear one.

France’s first Muslim high school opens

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/4240

16. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

They took off their scarves. The majority didn't leave for muslim schools, its the children of very strict households that sent their kids to muslim schools. My point is that the veil came off and life went on.

They'll probably ban religious schools next.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They didn't leave for other schools because there weren't any. That first school was in 2003

How many are there now?

Hows that for Islamisation?

18. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Like I said they will probably ban religious schools next. Call it a trend.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah that worked so well for the Inuit, Maori and native Americans.

20. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Muslims are a tribe?

I didn't know there were so many maori, inuit native americans running around paris

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Live and learn, its got nothing to do with tribe.

Every Muslim in France will see himself in Dar al Harb and himself as a jihadi.

People who never considered wearing a veil will adopt one, simply on principle.

Its like these girls bicycling topless in a Haredi neighborhood.

The basic principle is liberty.

22. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

We'll see. But jihadi resistance will just make things worse for the community and the host society become harder and less tolerant.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No kidding.