Air American Radio goes bankrupt

Discussion in 'Politics' started by spidergoat, Jan 21, 2010.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

...again.

http://airamerica.com/

It's a sad day for liberalism, folks.
    Before you gloat, remember Fox news lost $90 million a year for about five years until they turned a profit.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

LOL. It seems that Liberal media requires a government subsidy to survive.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It seems that conservative media is thriving since it feeds off corporate interests.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

This is actually a pretty good evidence that there is no liberal bias in the media since a liberal station can't even be profitable...

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

No. You've got that backwards. A liberal station can't be profitable precisely because the liberal viewpoint is available from any number of mainstream media outlets; especially government subsidized ones such as NPR. Therefore, the market is already saturated. People looking for a conservative viewpoint, on the other hand, must turn to Fox or Talk Radio.

Add to that the fact that conservatives outnumber liberals two to one, and it's easy to see why liberal networks go broke.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You are so biased you think National Petroleum Radio is liberal.

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

You think NPR is conservative?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think they are very corporate friendly, and they don't say anything controversial. They do run social programming that appeals to more urban liberal people, but the news side of it is very tame.

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Whereas the Conservative media just needs favorable Supreme Court decisions, anti-trust exemptions, and lots of corporate cash to tide them over their early years (they are good bets to repay the investment, one way or another).

The question is of business models, and "liberal media" is selling a very low quality audience. Look at the big money ad campaigns, and estimate their take from a bunch of lefties.

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Hardly.

In radio the top 20 stations/programs are conservative. There is simply no room for a profitable/popular liberal station. Most likely because there is no demand or very small demand.

We are talking about radio stations by the way.

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is probably 5 to 1 as the non-existence of liberal stations shows...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  15. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Did anyone here listen to it, or know anyone who did? I listen to NPR, BBC, and music. I want information, not someone telling me what to think.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They ran many air america shows on my local portland station. Randi Rhodes was fired from AA, but they still run her show. Also Thom Hartmann has a local show here, I hope he will do more of that. I don't think this means liberal radio is dead, AA produced alot of spin offs. Frankin is now a senator, and Rachael Maddow is on MSNBC, as well as Ed Shultz.

17. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Stylistically NPR programming may make mainstream conservatives, particularly anti-intellectual Nascar/WWF/and guns conservatives want to puke; but content wise NPR makes left wing idealists want to puke.

NPR seems to be targeted at the upper middle class white pseudo intellectual scholarly left and targeted at the upper middle class white touchy feely poetic left. Intentionally or unintentionally NPR constantly propagandizes those two groups with pro corporate welfare and pro US government global domination activist foreign policy propaganda. Those two lefty sub sectors are natural enemies of corporate welfare and and US global domination so why does a network pandering to their tastes and relying on them for contributions put out content diametrically opposed to their natural inclinations on corporate welfare and US foreign policy? I am suspicious that it might be a deliberate attempt to use NPR as a propaganda medium to neutralize those groups as a source from which opposition to corporate welfare and the military industrial complex might infect the rest of he upper middle class.

I know I am being Orwellian but the truth might be Orwellian.

18. John99 Banned Banned

Doesnt surprise me.

Not that i am being critical its just that i dont understand it. What the could have done did was put common folk on there and then after awhile they would get noteriety and then pretts soon they no longer common folk and honestly you can see why it wouldnt work. Thats not to say it cant work in the future but that reamins to be seen.

And would that work?

People would say 'boy, is he stupid' and then you say 'he not stupid, he common'. And then if you succesful you no longer common. This is called a conundrum.

oh, and then if you sucessful you want more money too. and then you say 'but wait a second, why would i want that? i am making all this money and i stuck here with these peole and now you want me to be common but you paying me so much'.

Answer from go chomping on cigar: 'thats what we pay you for, when we hired you there was no problem now go in the lunchroom and think of something THEY want to hear'

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  19. sandy Banned Banned

I knew they were doomed the second Randi Rhodes called for a hit on W. That turned off what was left of their audience.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Her audience knows she never did that, but her leaving Air America two years ago probably did draw away her fan base. She still has her own show by the way, on Premiere Radio Networks, the same as Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Hannity. (source)

21. sandy Banned Banned

Comparing Bush and his family to the Corleones of "Godfather" fame, Air America host Randi Rhodes unleashed this zinger during her Monday night broadcast: "Like Fredo, somebody ought to take him out fishing and phuw." Rhodes then imitated the sound of a gunshot. (In "Godfather II," Fredo Corleone is executed by brother Michael at the end of the film.)
    Even joking allusions to the death of high government officials sometimes bring harsh consequences to the offending radio host. Too bad. So sad.
    http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/5/12/153908.shtml

She also fell down drunk and try to blame a Conservative for "attacking" her, too. What a loser...

http://radioequalizer.blogspot.com/2007/10/randi-rhodes-speaks-about-non-mugging.html

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It was a bit produced by someone else, she was as surprised as anyone and immediately apologized for anyone who could misconstrue it. She even contacted the secret service to clear it up. The only people who made a big deal of it were the counterfeit conservatives.

She was fired much later for calling Hillary a bitch.

She hasn't been associated with AA for some time.

23. sandy Banned Banned

So someone else took her voice and created those comments? I don't get it. She is a rabid anti-W chick. She has the right to dislike him; not to call for a hit on him. I do think she offended a lot of her fans. They hated W, too, but thought she went too far. I remember the Hillary/b*tch thing. I thought it was funny and did not deserve a firing. I never thought she was that good, funny, or talented. I just thought she was kind of boring. Maybe her need to spice up her show caused her demise.