Obama's 1-year Anniversary:success/failure?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sandy, Jan 20, 2010.

1. sandy Banned Banned

A year ago today Obama was sworn in. Do you think his first year has been a success or failure? And why?
    I think he did not fulfill any of his campaign promises but his ratings are still in the 40s, so some Americans still approve of his job performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q89grM9cPE

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As with ALL politicians no matter which party, they all do what they can to help their constituents as best they can. Obama is just like all the rest, he has accomplished very little, even with a Democratic Congress. We have higher unemployment which really affects millions of people and nothing being done to alleviate this problem. There are also other things that have not been addressed as well which he said he would do something about. I'd give him a "C-" on his 1 year report card.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

The only item Obama managed well is the War on Terror. WE have not widened the war to Iran, but that may be coming after Israel's air strike.

Then he focused on HealthCare...but that is heading for a disaster.

On Economy, both parties are powerless and stupid.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Obama is a wake up call for you Americans, the bank and the corporation calls the fucking shots. No change.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

He presided according to my expectations, but I didn't raise the standard very high.

He didn't puke on any foreign leader, didn't get choked by a pretzel, no sex scandal yet, no massaging of female foreign leader or falling of a stage or stairs, so all in all, he did pass the first year in good standing.

In politics he acted as any other president would have, in the interest of the ruling class...

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

From The Politico

The Obama magic has vanished

Think back a year ago and imagine someone saying Obama would throw his support behind Democrats in New Jersey, Virginia and Ted Kennedy's Massachusetts — and lose all of them.

Think back a year ago and imagine someone saying he would celebrate his first anniversary without having gotten health care, financial regulation or energy legislation signed into law. And that less than 50 percent of the public would hold a favorable view of his presidency.

Obama clearly remains popular at the personal level, a big asset that Republicans privately concede could easily help turn things around for this White House in the months ahead. But it is similarly clear that the Obama magic of 2008 has vanished. His personal popularity is plainly not transferable to other Democrats. His power with Democrats is somewhat diminished.

So much now rides on health care for Obama. His top advisers have told reporters for months that he will be judged on one issue and one issue alone: getting health care signed into law. They now realize the bill — and, with it, Obama’s reputation and leverage on Capitol Hill — could go down. As they look ahead to the rest of the year, White House advisers talk publicly of bold action, but most of the talk in private is smaller, less controversial action. Deficits. Incremental changes to energy policy. Debt commissions.

This is not the way Obama — or many of the people watching him at his inaugural address a year ago — expected that he would mark his first anniversary.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31717_Page3.html#ixzz0dB40k1a5

10. Pinwheel Banned Banned

He won the Nobel Peace prize. Thats like a million dollars! Whats happened to that money btw?

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well I would say it definitely not a success, but its not a failure either. Obama turned out the be too pragmatic for the left and the republicans turn out to be to stubborn for pragmatism, I would say if obama does not change tactics he headed for total failure, but as first years go this one was not bad compared to other presidents, heck bush got away with letting a huge terrorist attack happen during his first year.

12. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Well it's hard to follow the GREATEST POTUS EVER.

He has done well by managing to keep things moving but like all presidents is throwing too much of our money at problems.

Most do to avoid their poll numbers from sliding because that is more important to most of the ignorant than what our future looks like.

I think he needs to make decisions on what is best for the long term of the country and not worry about getting re-elected. But tell that to any politician.

The fact that he has managed to piss of all sides to some degree is a good sign.

13. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Electric,

Yep.

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

So you guys are just electing an overpaid diplomat and hoping he's not retarded?

Barbarians at the gates...

15. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Fail. If he has a 41% approval rating, he must have done something wrong.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Still better than Bush's last term.

17. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

You can hardly expect America to join the civilised world overnight - so having a non-retarded pres this time round is a step forward surely?

albeit a small one

18. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/

Here's a great website that tracks his Campaign Promises.

So far being a conservative, I'm not impressed with his resolutions for the economy.

Being gay, I'm not impressed with his initiative on gay rights either.

Being a taxpayer, I'm pissed.

19. FishysChickie Banned Banned

mr bush have the 84% rating at this time and mr obama have 41%
    i not like either as i not like the politician

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

People overestimate both the requirements for being a president and the president's power over the economy, world events and such.

Sure he can start a war (with Congress' approval) but he can not stop a recession even if he wants to. He can't avoid earthquakes,floods whatever, so most of the time they get both blamed and priced for thing they have no control over...

Was Clinton responsible for the high flying 90s? No. Was Bush responsible for the inevitable downturn? No. Is Obama responsible for the current unemployment numbers? No...etc.etc.etc.

21. FishysChickie Banned Banned

mr obama make the good for the immigrant and hims aunt the immigrant also

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

cauze teh people like teh war and kilin bad guys but it wuz all downhil fom dere

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I didnt realise Saddams capture caused a spike. Imagine if Bin Laden was captured.