James Cameron Hates America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kmguru, Jan 17, 2010.

1. kmguru Staff Member

James Cameron Hates America

The conservative attack on Avatar.

James Cameron's Avatar has been greeted on the right with the kind of immediate snarling antagonism reserved for Oliver Stone pics. In an article titled "Cameron's 'Avatar' Is a Big, Dull, America-Hating, PC Revenge Fantasy," Big Hollywood's John Nolte called it "Deathwish 5 for leftists." No less an authority than MovieGuide, "the family guide to Christian movie reviews," awarded the movie "four Marxes and an Obama" for its "abhorrent New Age, pagan, anti-capitalist worldview that promotes Goddess worship and the destruction of the human race"—an unfortunate formulation that also happens to clip most of my favorite Disney movies. Drudge has been providing a daily drip-feed of joy-killing stories: "Vatican says no masterpiece," "Audiences experience Avatar blues; depression and suicidal thoughts. ..." In the words of one right-wing blogger: "This is cinema for the Hate America crowd."

http://www.slate.com/id/2241542/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I havent seen this film yet, Im wondering if I should to see what all the fuss is all about. Someone told me the storyline is straight out of Dances with Wolves...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Then there's this review...

"Get your pitchforks ready people! I’m guessing from people’s reactions last night, not all of you are going to like what I have to say. To begin, yes this is the epic visual masterpiece that you’ve all been waiting for and it succeeds in everything it tries to do (visually).The overall look is stunning beyond belief, the special effects are impeccable, Cameron got me to shed a tear and sit on the edge of my seat… BUT the film isn’t flawless, not by a long shot…

The Players:
    Director/Writer: James Cameron
    Executive Producer: Colin Wilson
    Actors: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, Joel Moore
    Cinematographers: Mauro Fiore and Vince Pace
    Music By: James Horner
    The Plot:
    Paraplegic war veteran, Jake Sully is brought to another planet called Pandora in place of his brother with the promise of getting his legs back if he helps the government on a mission. Pandora is inhabited by a primitive race called the Na’vi and Jake is sent in to learn their ways so that he can help relocate them and the humans can take over.

The Good:
    Special Effects: As if you didn’t already expect this. The SFX are impeccable and he uses them well. Instead of just shoving them in your face, he weaves them into the story beautifully, and they come off effortlessly.
    The Details: Normally in a film like this, you can see a few mistakes here and there, but I didn’t catch any. From Sam Worthington’s tiny legs to the computers within the scenes – every detail was thought out and used as a part of the environment. The best thing that Cameron did was allow for all his hard work to be incorporated into the wide shots without saying “hey look at this.” In allowing everything to be part of a greater whole, Cameron truly created a world of his own, which makes you truly feel as if you’ve been transported into a new world while watching the film.

The Acting: To both the actors and director’s credit, the performances came through extremely well. It’s amazing how much of the actors emotions you could see through their Avatar characters. Zoe Saldana gave an especially emotional and strong performance, and you never even saw her real face.
    Sam Worthington’s Hair: It sounds ridiculous, but this is another detail that really stood out. Normally you’ll notice that an actor is given a hairstyle that they can have throughout the entire film, but Worthington’s hair changed with every time shift in the movie and it always looked completely natural. Yet again, nice touch.

Overall:
    If nothing else this is a visual masterpiece and is meant to be seen in IMAX 3-D theaters. It will take you on a ride and blow you away. If you want to avoid some of the problems with it, just make sure to turn your brain off upon arrival and let your senses lead you."

December 11, 2009 1:24PM By Mali Elfman

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

Yes, I saw it and loved the visual effects. It is like eating french cuisine at Maxim's ...wonderful but an hour later you are hungry for more...

8. superstring01 Moderator

It's a movie, people. A frickin' science fiction movie.

~String

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I don't see how the plot was substantively different than, say, the plot of ``Dances with Wolves'' or ``Pocahontas''. The writing was actually pretty shitty at places (could he really think of nothing better to call a precious mineral than ``unobtanium''? ).

Failblog had this posted, which I thought was pretty funny.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I still haven't seen it. But this is the funniest review I've seen so far.
    http://thepoorman.net/2010/01/14/avatar-sucked/

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well he is Canadian.

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

you want fucked up wait until capalert.com gets their hands on it

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Is there a scene at the end where one of the Cat people screams out "SHASAHINE TATANKA DO YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE MY FRIEND???!!"

Fuck you people Dance with wolves was a good movie, I give a fuck for your opinions.

14. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I'm glad someone posted the review saying to be sure to see it in IMAX. We are talking about going but until I read that we were going to go the the flat screen version. Thanks to whoever posted that.

15. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but it was already made.

James Cameron remade it with special effects.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Nah, more like Ferngully

17. kmguru Staff Member

The movie is on its way to be the biggest earner (over $1B) more than his Titanic...so people are definitely watching in IMAX....

18. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

As King Solomon said: "There is nothing new under the sun"

19. Doreen Valued Senior Member

That would describe most movies made with special effects. That it was a reworking of an old plot for more money.

20. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Oh, well the right wing can deal. We have enough blockbusters where the misunderstood problematic male authority figure - FBI agent, president, scientist, NASA head, oil riggers - someone straight out of a Charlton Heston homoerotic wet dream saves the day or the world in a patriotic, masculine, listen to the experts with guns and muscles know what needs to be done American bleeding superhero
    way.

You can hear the guys in FEMA wanking.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

but is it an old plot or a current plot?

22. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Avatar? Haven't seen it. Doesn't sound that new, but I am looking forward to seeing it anyway. Most movies strike me as remakes with tweaks. Every now and then a movie really surprises me.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well, the bad guys who all speak English start bombing the indigenous population (who they call hostiles and terrorists) so they can get the much valued mineral under their land.

Sounds like a current ripped from the headlines plot to me.