Proposal: Democracy is Counter-Progressive

Discussion in 'Formal debates' started by Norsefire, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I, Norsefire, challenge James R to this debate, using standard rules. The debate will focus on democracy and democratic ideas, and I will argue the notion that "rule by the people" is counter-productive. This is an argument against democracy and also republicanism, as it follows democratic principles.

This debate will be about principle and ideal, and not about historical examples. It is rather about the philosophy of democracy itself.

I will argue against democracy from the perspective that freedom is desirable, and also from the perspective that order and stability are desirable.

Further negotiations as to terms can now take place.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Since I wasn't invited to participate, I obviously won't and expect this post to be deleted soon.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But I just want to point out what I consider to be a SERIOUS error in this proposal. If I understand it correctly, it's essentially prohibiting historical examples - and that would be completely unreasonable when debating any topic! Because it eliminates the possibility of showing the actual reality and PROOF of concept and will result in nothing more than arguing semantics which is totally unproductive and worthless in establishing the usefulness/value of something.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The main problem is that first you have to agree on a definition of counter-productive. Without that the debate is meaningless...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm not interested in this one. Besides, if I'm going to have yet another Formal Debate, the next one I'll be getting to is the one on Global Warming. I just don't have the time, let alone the inclination for a silly debate on Democracy.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Yeah, whatever happened to that GW debate? I am still waiting for that one...

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

So you find democracy silly?

Very well. James, at my request, please delete this thread.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.