Analyze a recurring dream for me

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by skaught, Jan 9, 2010.

1. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Usually I am very good at deciphering the meaning of dreams that I have. But I have this recurring dream that seriously disturbs me when I have it. I've never told anybody about these dreams because of the content of them and worry about being judged by someone I would tell them to. As a disclaimer, I would inform you that I am not a cruel person. I love animals and enjoy being kind to them perhaps more so than I enjoy being kind to people. I have never in my life been cruel or engaged in any form of torture to an animal.

The dream:

While the plot of the dreams are always different, there is an action that I take in these dreams that is always the same. That is, me torturing an animal. Usually it is a cat, or some other small animal like a hamster or rat or maybe a mouse. Lat night it was a small dog, one of those toy breeds. It usually involves me finding this animal somewhere and deciding to torture and kill it slowly. When I wake up from these dreams, I am thoroughly disgusted and disturbed. During the dream, I am usually pounding on the animals head and doing something to restrict its intake of air and I watch it slowly pass out and come close to death. Only then to let it revive and begin pounding on it again. The strange thing is that I feel pleasure in the dream at watching its misery, but I also feel revulsion at my own actions and intensely hate myself for treating the animal this way. I feel an intense fear that I may continue this behavior after I am done with the animal and may go on to do it to other animals again and perhaps someday to a person. But these thoughts only further my frustration which I then take out on the animal. The dream always ends before the animal is dead, or the dream changes so that the animal seems to disappear from the dream and this makes me very angry because I feel like the animal escaped me. and I make it a personal mission to find it again and really unleash my wrath at the thing.

These dreams disturb me and make me feel very uncomfortable when I wake up. I have studied sociopaths and psychopaths very intensely for a large part of my life, and know that this must be exactly how they must feel when they are hurting or killing a person or animal. I don't recall ever having these dreams before I started researching this subject. In my life, I have never hurt or tortured an animal, nor have I ever felt anything even closely related to feeling this way.

Do any of you think that I should be worried about these dreams? Is there some underlying meaning to it that actually has nothing to do with hurting animals? What could this dream possibly mean?

Analyze away friends! Serious replies only please, and please don't judge me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Random.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You are too nice in real life and need to tell some people off.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Figures in your dreams are not usually who or what they appear to be, with very few exceptions such as parents and other family members you've been close to for literally all of your life. Human figures represent parts of yourself.

What animals represent is a little more vague. Rather than people or creatures, they're often situations that concern you in real life, or just as likely may be worrying you in your unconscious life. Jung has catalogued animals as archetypes, and every Jungian analyst will have the catalog on his bookshelf.

What concerns me is that in your dreams it's not always the same animal. Throttling a cat in a dream does not have the same meaning as throttling a dog or a rat. There's something about the act of torture itself that is haunting your dreams; it's not just showing up as a metaphor for something else, drawn conveniently from the day's waking images.

I'm not qualified to draw any more judgments from this. But what I can say with certainty is that if a recurring dream is bothering you, you should not restrict your efforts to trying to figure it out by yourself, or with the help of a bunch of well-meaning amateurs on a website. Go to a Jungian analyst--they do a better job with dreams than Freudians. IMHO Jung does a better job with everything than Freud, who nowadays is pretty much taught only in medical school, while the management consultants, advertising tycoons, fiction writers and political analysts get Jung. And of course there's always good reason to avoid real Freudian psychiatrists with MDs because they can fall back on medication if they can't find a better solution.

You have already linked this to the material you've been exposed to in your studies. This has touched you deeply, which is a big Duh? It's pretty heavy stuff! There's a reason that even today's blood-spattered "action-adventure" movies virtually never include scenes of major violence toward animals and it's not the SPCA seal of approval in the credits. Your unconscious is manufacturing something that is taboo even in Hollywood! You've got something serious on your mind and you should do whatever you need to uncover it. Doing it with a professional might be a little easier to endure than stumbling upon it all by yourself in the dark.

Good luck!

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Tryin to analyze the deam or figer out "whats rong wit you"... lol... is a waste of time an woud likely cause mor harm than good.!!!

"You" are not the dream you'r havin... you know you ant a cruel person an you know you love animals so thers no need for concern you mite actualy act out the dream in real life.!!!

Fully acknowlege the dream but see it for what it is... simply the waky way a brane can work at nite... dont "dread" havin the dream agan... have the atitude of laffn at its sillyness an it will go away on its own.!!!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  9. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Dreams have meaning? in what way? i always thought dreams were pretty random.

Or is it just bullshit like astrology

10. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

My dreams have a random wakyness to 'em for sure... but often when i dont like the way my dream is goin i have a "do-over" while im dreamin... which is changin somptin about what i jus dreamed an then see if it plays out in a way i like beter... so mayb dreams can be a way to "practice"... which coud be helpful in real life... but botom line... i enjoy an look forward to dreamin.!!!

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

oh wow. you should have put this at the beginning of your post. By the time I got to this, it was too late.

12. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Thats ok, I already have my own judgements about you dear

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

oh, you're so sweet. thank you :thankyou:

14. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Fraggle:

Thanks! As always, you rock. How does one go about finding a Jungian analyst?