Government Your Way

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Omega133, Jan 4, 2010.

?

Which would you choose?

1. Republic

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Democracy

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Communism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dictatorship

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Anarchy

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Monarchy

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. I like the way the world is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

If you could choose one type of government to rule the world what would it be? Because when there is many different governments it leads to fighting(Democracy v.s Communism). So if we were to have a unified government would it stop the fighting? And what about the disagreements inside governments such as political partys do? My main question is we were to have one, what type of Worldwide government would you choose?

I personally like the way the world is now, but can't help but think about possibilities.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

This is too difficult a question for me;

as a lover of liberty, I would choose capitalism, which you haven't listed so I will choose anarchy instead.

Yet as a pragmatic and utilitarian, if we sacrifice freedom for utility and order, I would go with benevolent dictatorship.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TSchmee Registered Senior Member

I would love to live in a true Meritocracy, as described by Plato's Republic.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I know alot about government, yet I'm unfamiliar with Utilitarian and Pragmatic. I did not Know Capitalism was a type of government but rather a type of Economy and therefore didn't put it up.

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Capitalism can certainly obsolete government, and so in its own right it is a 'type' of government; if you have all private property, it solves all problems because when people disagree, they can stick to their property, and at the same time people can get together and work together and sign contracts and such. Capitalism is therefore superior to democracy, which is mob rule and is barbaric.

"Pragmatic" means practical, and utilitarian means valuing the practical utility of something. I am saying that from a pragmatic perspective, a Fascist-type dictatorship is best long-term for a country.

9. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

An interesting choice.

10. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Fascism could work but could also backfire depending on who leads it. For reference look at Hitler.

11. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I beleive a grand republic could work kind of like the U.N. But ofcourse people are going to disagree.

12. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

True, but before Hitler brought Germany down with his over eagerness, he built it into one of the mightiest nations Europe had seen until that time.

Further, the Greek city state of Sparta was a Fascist state by many definitions, and it lasted for hundreds of years.

13. TSchmee Registered Senior Member

The problem with having capitalism as a form of government is that it almost immediately becomes a sort of "rule by the rich". Then all of the arguments of Marx start taking hold among the poor, and boom: revolution.

14. Pipes75 Registered Senior Member

My choice is not up there!

I want Free Unity!

To achieve what I want, we need to start looking at a Resource Based Society to replace all the outdated money systems listed in the poll.

15. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

The point is that you have to be careful of who dictates. There is no doubt he made Germany better, but he screwed it up just as bad. If he would have focused on peaceful rebuilding and not conquering the world Germany could have been magnificent.

16. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Free Unity? Please elaborate.

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what a load of crap, norse capitalisium RELIES on goverment. Without goverment you HAVE no ability to create and obtain capital because the next guy can just come and steal it and kill you. I suggest you actually do some resurch on what your hero smith actually SAID about goverment rather than what you want him to have said. He said "the law doesnt have to be fair or just it just has to be applied equally", ie he thought goverment was ESSENTUAL to any capitalist sociaty. Further more i suggest you read his first book on morality before you worry about the wealth of nations

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Of course government has a role, which is to protect property rights and enforce contracts and defend the borders.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

no norse, it has a role in REGULATING buiness. Thats what smith himself held as self evident. Otherwise you have somalia which you are curiously reluctent (given your "ideals" to move to, afraid you will lose your head?)

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Somalia doesn't even have an adequate enforcement of basic laws; why would I go there?

"Regulation" is not the responsibility of government. Yes, it should protect against fraud, but that's as far as it needs to go.

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Capitalism is an economic system, not a form of government.

A benevolent dictatorship is not incompatible with freedom. The problems is that truly benevolent dictators are so hard to come by. (I speak from experience as an evil administrator.)

It's working out just great for North Korea. It was great for Nazi Germany, too - look what happened to that country during Nazi rule. Oh, and it was great for Cuba, and for Chile, and ...

Yes, fascist dictatorships are wonderful. Every child should have one.

22. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I have two ways of looking at this:

I would pick a dictatorship if the dictator was a Libertarian/capitalist-type. Dictatorships aren't inherently oppressive, after all.

If I have no say in the political leanings of the dictator, my second choice would be a constitutional republic, similar to what was intended by America's Founding Fathers.

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yet it renders government obsolete, if we are speaking of idealism.

True, I acknowledge your point.

N. Korea is just a dictatorship; there is more to Fascism than being a dictatorship, like wise leadership, nationalism, class collaboration, eugenics, 'health conscious', health craze, collectivism.

Indeed; the kindergarten system, various advances in science, and one of the most powerful nations Europe has ever seen.
    Cuba is communist

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010