Compare bush II response to shoe bomber versus Obama response to crotch bomber.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Jan 4, 2010.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It is interesting to see the difference in how george II responded to the shoe bomber versus how Obama is reponding to the crotch bomber. After the shoe bomber was arrested, no further precautions were taken. No reviews were undertaken. Nothing changed.

When the crotch bomber tried to blow up a plane, Obama ordered a complete review within a matter of days. Additionally new security protocols were ordered and implemented within days of the crotch bombers arrest. Pretty amazing to see how much more reactive the Obama administration has been to a terror threat to that of the bush II administration.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Obama is alot more intelligent of an individual than Bush.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

In both cases I believe that a review is not necessary, as someone did not follow procedures.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

well hang on, that comment shows that a review may well be warented depending on the focus. If the focus is simply puting more procidures in place then sure it may well come back saying "no further action nessary" but if its focused around "why did this breach in security happen" then it might well find some way to prevent this in future. Lets say for example it finds that the security officers have all been on 18 hours staight because of staff shortages, or working 10 days straight or whatever then that is a legitimate problem which could be addressed. Or maybe its aditional training in the equiptment is nessary or aditional supervison ect. Unless you question, you will never work out WHY a breach happens and how to minimise them in future

8. navigator Registered Senior Member

You must be unaware that the dept. of homeland security and the TSA didn't even exist when the shoe bomber occurred.

Would you like a list of thwarted attacks since then?

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well actually the TSA did exist. It was created in November of 2001 replacing the privately run screening system managed by airlines. And the shoe bomber struck in late December, 2001.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_Security_Administration
    For a brief period thereafter, TSA required random foot/shoe inspections. As time progressed, they stopped the shoe inspections.

Obama is have changed inspection rules using profiling...previously a no no word. So that is a pretty signficiant change in policy. Let's see if the policy stays around or goes the way of the foot/shoe inspections. But based on what I have seen thus far, Obama is taking it to the next step looking at how the crotch bomber was even able to get on the plane. By all rights, he should not have been permitted to board the plane. There are some obvious interagency communication problems in the massive security organization created in response to 9/11..

As for alledged attacks stopped by the bush II administration, I think we all know about the Rove list of alleged incidents but that does not make them real.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yes please.

11. navigator Registered Senior Member

I stand corrected, the TSA was formed a month prior to the shoe bomber. However, my point stands that your statement "After the shoe bomber was arrested, no further precautions were taken. No reviews were undertaken. Nothing changed." is a baseless assertion that is factually incorrect.

I do agree with you though, that this guy should have never made it on the plane. The system provided the intel, but somebody didn't follow protocol and overlooked several red flags allowing this guy to get onbaord.

12. navigator Registered Senior Member

Google is your friend.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=1599331&page=1

13. navigator Registered Senior Member

Edit, double post.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

all that is needed is chemical sniffers to detect explosive residuals on a person. Step in, it sniffs you, step out, next, add a metal detector and your done.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

umm you can make non metalic weapons if you really want to, after all how many metal dectors are in prisions and yet they still manage to make shives

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually that could be rather embarersing for women who chose to wear corsets or even underwire bra's. "please take off your bra and step through the metal detector again"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

but we already us metal detectors!

True but we know about that for some time and yet we don't do detailed inspections of people. Maybe we could do those full body scans using t-ray cameras.

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i know which makes me wonder how women get though an airport without setting them off constantly. Concidering both underwire bra's and corsets contain stainless steel bars (wire in the case of the bras). Of course these could also be sharpened to become weapons as well

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The problem occured on the non-American side. On the other hand the new regulation of 1 hour no getting up is just going to advocate an over-the-ocean action. If I am blown up, I would rather be above dry land. Not to mention my bladder might not bear with me for an hour with all the excitement...

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

that how they get through.

21. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

My biggest problem with this whole thing is this: WE the GOVERNMENT will take care of you and make sure you are safe.

I don't like this sentiment AT ALL. If Obama want's my vote again he better put the smack down on Bankers and their 500 billion dollars in bonuses and he better can-it with the "The Government" will make sure you're OK and fat and safe crap.
    I'm not saying it's Obama's fault that the country is losing it's backbone, but he should do something to let people know that THEY better grow one and that it's NOT the government's job to wipe their arses and noses.

22. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

we should start searching people at airports?i dont think that would go down too well....

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

We who? "We" actually do search people at the airport.

What I'm saying is we need to stop putting the idea into Citizen's mind that "The Government" is this far off entity that takes care of them and start re-educating Citizens that the The Government IS THE PEOPLE. The Civil Servants who make up Our Government should praise people for taking care of themselves and stop saying "We're here to take care of you, We're doing all in Our power to keep you safe".

That's my opinion anyway.