Obama effigy hanged in Jimmy Carter's home town

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Scaramouche, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Scaramouche Registered Member

That's pretty cold.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Why? It's just hangin' up a little doll thingie. They probably thought it might be fun. But cold? No, I don't think so.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

not surprising their are still towns in the south that talk of the ol' hangin' tree with fondness.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It's surprising that in your long life you've learned nothing.

8. navigator Registered Senior Member

When the effigy was Bush and Palin, the behavoir was protected under the first amendment. What gives:shrug:

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Really? So tell me, James, what did you learn about this issue in your short life? Perhaps you can teach me something about freedom and such, huh?

Baron Max

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I learned that racially motivated murder is wrong. I learned that intimidation by threat of racially motivated murder is wrong. I learned that racism, full stop, is wrong.

No. I think you're too old to change now. More importantly, you don't want to change. You're comfortable with your particular sets of prejudices, hangups and deficiencies. Moreover, I think you've probably lost the capacity to process new information.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Why is racially motivated murder any worse the regular ol' murder? Is it because you're a racist and you think black people are better than white people?

How do you know that it had anything to do with racism? How do you know that they didn't hang the doll because of him being president and they don't like it.

How did you feel when people burned the doll of President Bush? Did you feel the same way, James? Or are you so racist that they only thing that means anything to you is when there's a race difference involved?

If people don't like black people, I think that's their right. You should celebrate that they're free to do so. Or would you rather have a gov like the Taliban which would simply slit people's throats who disobeyed or didn't like them? Is that what you'd like, James, a gov that simply killed racists because they don't like blacks?

Baron Max

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

are you sure about that james? concidering he apears to be stuck in the "apsolute" phase of psycological development which suggests that he is around 11 years old

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, c'mon! I write more like a 12-yr old than a silly 11-yr old. What's the matter with you, Assguard, don't know much about kids?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh, but wait ...you write like an 11-yr old, so maybe you know more about kids than I thought. Are you still taking English lessons for kids in that age group? ;=)

Baron Max

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This and that

It's the South. Americans are accustomed to this sort of thing.

• • •​

Where did the First come into this discussion? Or did you just invent that as a distraction? There is a difference between something being cold or stupid to the one, and illegal to the other.

As PJ noted, there are elements in the South that still love their hanging tree. Much of the rest of the nation finds this distasteful, but the only First Amendment question, in the long run, is how the Secret Service feels about it.

And insofar as when it was Bush, we might recall that one could be arrested for wearing a t-shirt criticizing the president. Also, one could get the Secret Service to poke their nose around if your neighbor called to complain about a wall poster accusing Bush of being a murderer.

The First Amendment does strange things when it comes to the president, but as far as I can tell, it's not yet an issue in this incident.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Max:

Straw man. I said nothing about that.

The lynching of the Obama effigy in Georgia?

I don't know - yet. Would you like to have a small wager about this, assuming the case is solved? How much money will you bet me that this was not racially motivated?

I think burning effigies is barbaric, whoever they are.

Not when that involves threatening other people with death.

Guess. Come on - brain on for just a moment. Try.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, it could be racially motivated. ...like a bunch of black men hanging the effigy of Obama because of his .....white... half!

Interesting, though, ain't it? If Obama is half white/half black, how can anything that anyone does to him or about him be considered "racially motivated"?

Why? Isn't there such a thing as freedom of expression? ...freedom of assembly? Or is it just the law; "Thou shall not burn little dolls." ...LOL!

Agreed. But I didn't say anything about threatening anyone with death or anything else, did I? Nope, sure didn't. What's the matter, James, can't read? Ahh, or is it that you like to read INTO sentences whatever you think the other person MIGHT have wanted to say???

It's still interesting ....in Georgia, did those guys hang the black half of Obama, or the white half?

Baron Max

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Playing stupid again?

Oh, come now, Max. Of all the arguments you might raise, this is among the least useful. We are, after all, discussing the South, where the one-drop rule held sway long enough to be invoked and enforced in my lifetime.

There is an episode of Family Guy in which Peter tells the story of the Griffin family history, including some more details about his black ancestor, Nate Griffin. Not only did Nate seduce a slave-owner's daughte, but they secretly married, and black Stewie has a perfect line, expressing that the good thing about being half black and half white is that he'll be accepted by everybody.

He was so right, wasn't he?

Why do people keep invoking the First Amendment? Does freedom of speech somehow mean nobody is allowed to find anything barbaric?

The First Amendment, at this point, is a straw man.

Are you suggesting you don't understand this aspect of effigies?

What, seriously?

18. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Bingo.

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

They'll make the claim, but not back it up?

Okay, seriously: Where does the First Amendment come into it?

Really. I keep asking people, and they refuse to answer.

20. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

It was freedom of speech when the effigy was of Sarah Palin:

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/oct/29/local/me-palineffigy29

If it's already been determined that effigies "violate no law", why is the SS investigating this latest incident?

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What kind of dishonesty should we have to endure from this bunch?

Much of the rest of the nation finds this distasteful, but the only First Amendment question, in the long run, is how the Secret Service feels about it.

And insofar as when it was Bush, we might recall that one could be arrested for wearing a t-shirt criticizing the president. Also, one could get the Secret Service to poke their nose around if your neighbor called to complain about a wall poster accusing Bush of being a murderer.

The First Amendment does strange things when it comes to the president, but as far as I can tell, it's not yet an issue in this incident.

(In other words, look up.)

I think this whole First Amendment distraction is disgraceful and suggests tremendous ignorance on your part about American law and history. The Secret Service routinely investigates the mere appearance of a threat against the president, and I find it absolutely ridiculous that we should pretend otherwise.

So why don't you try something affirmative, Acid Cowboy? Why invoke the First when it has nothing to do with the situation? Seems a bit dishonest. I mean, you've essentially argued that expressing an opinion about an expressed opinion somehow violates a person's free speech. Would you care to actually explain how that works?

22. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Because armed dissidents like you have attacked their own countrymen and leaders before. The secret service is overwhelmed because armed dissidents like you have increased threats against your President by 400%.

23. countezero Registered Senior Member

I think his point was if effigies are protected speech, then why isn't this effigy protected speech? I can see this point, and even agree with it, but that it is logical calculation that would completely ignore context.

This is the South we're talking about here, and being a Southerner, I can attest to the fact that people don't often get hung in effigy and that when they do it's done within a context that is both racist and intentionally inflammatory. The fact Obama is black -- or claims to be anyway, in the reverse form of miscegenation that's now popular -- cannot really be removed from that context. But this is one incident in one town and what irks me is the Media's rush to find, publicize and bark about any Obama-related incident that can remotely be viewed in racial terms...