The truthfulness of insults

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by s0meguy, Jan 4, 2010.

1. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

(this thread was made from posts moved by enmos from another thread)

James R's response was to
    that can only really be true if you see some measure of truth in it, if not then it should mean nothing to you

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What complete nonsense! Maybe you should think about it for a while.. :bugeye:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

would you be offended if i said that all men are gay assholes with heads the size of planets? no because it makes no sense

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What about things some people actually say? Like: "All black people are stupid."
    If a black person came along and said: "Hey, that's offensive," would you then say: "that can only be offensive if you see some measure of truth in it, if not then it should mean nothing to you"?
    Really?

8. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

i very much doubt that any black people worth noting would be offended at that.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So it's only offensive if you are worth noting (whatever that means)?

Things are generally perceived as being offensive either when they are intended as such or when they appear to be intended as such. Comments don't have to accurately describe reality to be offensive.

10. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

any black person with a measure of intelligence will see that that statement is stupid and ridiculous and that person essentially destroyed their own credibility

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

LOL! And so everyone can freely be racist or sexist or whatever, because if the target is actually offended then the racist/sexist slur must actually have been truthful!
    Very disturbing, s0meguy..

12. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

nah, they just see some truth in it themselves, it doesnt mean its actually truthful.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

See my edit in post 6.

14. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

no, most offensive statements are not meant to be offensive at all (and people know it), they're just meant as statements of fact, or as something to laugh about (many times not even being intended purely as a truthful statement). also, i think you're incorrectly equating political correctness with truthfulness.

we're discussing one of the statements in this thread in depth, so i think we're on topic. well, nevermind about that i guess

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I disagree. In my experience most offensive statements are meant like that, otherwise it's just clumsiness.

I hope you don't mind that I've moved it here anyway.

I have to call it a day now though.

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

WTF? Somebody created a thread about this? That comment is only offense to whoever is intentionally looking to be offended. IOW, nobody in their right mind actually considered that comment offensive. Some people just like to come up with miniature ways to cause conflict where it doesn't exist.

I come accross control freaks on a daily basis. They will 'act' offended at the littlest things just for the sake of getting offended.

I made a comment insulting women in a thread specifically created to insult women. Get real.

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

As for the topic of this thread, I think it's more about what it is that makes somebody offended at something. I don't think a person necessarily gets offended because he considers some sort of truth in something that is offending him.

When I gain weight, I don't get offended when my friends call me fatass. On the otherhand, I have a friend who is constantly overweight, and gets offended if you even tell her she's overweight.

I guess the question is "What is it that offends you and why?".

18. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

s0meguy, just out of curiosity, what, if anything would you consider actually offensive? Surely there is something that would be insulting without being literally true... :shrug:

19. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

i dont get offended at all, because i choose not to...

20. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Which is excellent for you, but you must realize that other people do, in fact, get offended - does this mean that they are inferior to you? Would you refrain from saying certain things out of courtesy, even if you believe the practice to be juvenile and silly?

Failing that, would you walk into a crowded biker bar and shout "You guys are all gay pussies, and any three year old could kick your ass with one hand tied behind their back?"

Surely, self-preservation would prevent the latter, right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

sometimes i don't refrain from saying something because of the reasons you stated, but most of the time i just avoid conflict.

where do you get the idea that i'm not interested in self preservation?

22. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Where did you get the idea that I have the idea that you're not interested in self preservation? It was merely a prelude to a question - calm down there, spanky...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh, and what happened to my question regarding "inferiority"?

23. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

People just need to lighten the fuck up, jeez.