Positive Thinking - Does it work?!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by darksidZz, Jan 4, 2010.

?

Answer

Poll closed Jan 16, 2010.
  1. Yes

53.3%
  2. No

20.0%
  3. Sometimes

26.7%
  4. Other

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

The most conclusive poll ever, vote, vote, vote! I have a friend that seems to believe in things like THE SECRET. What do you all say?

Personally I believe wishing for a thing does not make is so, meaning you can't THINK something into reality. Let me know if you agree or not.

Any stories with wackos in them are welcome.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Well, if nothing, absolutely nothing stops you from thinking positively then it works because you'll think stuff is positive.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Good decisions create good outcomes. Thinking objectively is the key.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes; there is nothing stronger than willpower, and whether individual or nation, the ruthless pursuit of willpower and having great determination create strength and success.

8. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

I'm not even positive that I'm actually thinking...

Sure there is:

Firepower.

9. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

I was -literally- driving on ice, and I was feeling quite positive. Then I lost the control and hit the pavement. My car broke down. I was still feeling OK, since I was trusting the level of industrial achievements human beings have reached. I took it to the garage and gave them two to three days, because it was a simple thing, that's what they said after the initial examination.

Next day, they called me back and said that they couldn't get the spare part, because the factory stopped manufacturing it. By the way my car is not from 20th Century and this garage is the official agency of my car. I didn't believe, I thought they were trying to buy some time, since I took the car three days before Christmas. I felt sorry, yet I continued to feel positive as I figured out the real reason for the delay.

After Christmas, I gave them a call again. This time they gave me a date: 8th of January! What! I felt like I was hit by a truck. None of my positive thinking helped me at all. Positive thinking did not repair my car. All in all, positive thinking may be good for your mental health, but things simply do not work with positive thinking alone; they need other things such as luck, better service, people getting the job done, etc.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Stress and depression have a negative effect on the immune system. And I think positive thinking may actually boost the immune system, but I'm not entirely certain about that.

11. draqon Banned Banned

Positive thinking def. works, but its about faith. Do you have faith in yourself to make a better day for yourself, do you understand the need/benefit for good experiences and shy away from bad?

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

A good attitude does seem to make a world of difference when you consider people in extreme survival situations. A determination to prevail is essential. Positive thinking can go too far sometimes, it's not a panacea. Sometimes we need to think negatively.

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Fire power requires willpower first.

That is true, I believe; for instance, laughter boosts the immune system.

14. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Yes positive thinking works. Negative thinking is toxic, and works against whatever it is that you want. If you want X, positive thinkng will only work for you while negative thinking will work against you.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If you are designing spaceships for NASA, then negative thinking can be beneficial.

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

What? Negative thinking is the last thing you want to do when designing anything.

17. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No, critical thinking can be beneficial. Negative thinking is never beneficial.

18. -ND- Human Prototype Registered Senior Member

Positive thinking is good as long as you know you are not making your self believe lies.

Negative thinking is good as long as you realized what is bad for you in-order to do good for yourself.

There is a very thin line between these two, just because each thought is as fast as lighting, and you won't always be able to control the outcome. However if you find something you like to do and you set your mind into building mode, you will be able to be something in your life.

19. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

I really don't think human beings can think objectively.

20. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Nietzsche? "The Will to Power"

21. -ND- Human Prototype Registered Senior Member

They can't however, there is only one way and one way only. God's Channel.

22. NightWindDrifter Registered Member

You certainly can't "positively think something into reality", unless you're delusional.

I do think that thinking less than positive is generally a deteriment to one's well-being. Self-fulfilling prophecy is an example of why positive thinking can be beneficial. The same concept can work in the opposite as well, but that only highlights the importance of thinking positively and not negatively.

23. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

God is Dead.