Women only car park

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Anti-Flag, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8432887.stm

Well, if ever we needed proof women are worse drivers.....
    LOL.
    Now, on a serious note: why isn't the world in uproar at the sexist nature of this whole fiasco? And how can they need bigger parking spaces, but receive cheaper insurance for being good drivers. Are they bad drivers or not? Does being bad at parking and over-cautiousness not cause accidents? Can general consensus make up it's freaking mind!? Do men just need to learn to complain when they're discriminated against, instead of following the feminine advise of "suck it up, be a man".
    Discuss.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

the majority of my accidents have been in parking lots and drive ways. i'm fine once i'm on the road though...lol.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Are you sure they do in China?

Nope, according to the article they're just "differently distanced".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jpappl Valued Senior Member

I drive a large truck and haven't put one dent or scratch on it, owned since 2001. My wife has little dents and scratches all over the car, she has been fortunate because several parking lot incidents the guy she hit just said he would take care of it.

We were driving down the road on a trip and I said, I avoid the cars that have dents all over them because those are at fault incidents, otherwise the other parties insurance would have handled it. She just kinda of looked at me and I was like, oh, yeah, sorry.

Point being to stay away from cars with dents because they are usually the ones at fault, bad drivers.

My wife is a safe driver, but safe drivers don't always mean good drivers. There is no parking lot pole that is safe from her.

I loved this part Lori,

"the majority of my accidents" LOL

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

the best one, was when i was in my early twenties, still living at home. my bother was in a band and they were practicing in the basement. the drummer had parked behind me in the driveway. but, the driveway was such that if i had taken care, i could have gotten by him and out just fine. so i walk out of the house, look right at his car parked behind mine, and get in my car, headed out for a night of drinking with the girls i'm sure. and i must have been so excited about my plans for the evening, that in the short time it took to start the car and put it in reverse, i forgot that his car was behind me and slammed right into it.

9. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

True that may just be a western idea.
    Regardless these things seem to be in conflict, unless Chinese women make bad drivers and western ones are good. I expect this too to be reflected in insurance.

10. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Good theory, but a lot of people with second hand cars would find the dents already there when they brought it. Not to mention if it's a parking lot dent you're relying on the person sticking around to tell you they did it, most drive off. Or they may settle it for cash to save hassle and not bother to fix the car. And having never made an insurance claim I can't be sure but I think in the UK the driver has to pay "excess" on a claim regardless of fault. This can be pretty high at times.

They also may just happen to be Chinese women that can't park, but are perfectly safe drivers all over times like every women is.......

:roflmao:

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I was fine at reversing around corners and into tight places...

(Not so fine when having overloads and staring laser-eyed and unresponsive at little details while freewheeling into someone else's path.

)

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

as some people here know my fionce works in care insurance, she has now done all 3 types in the company (at fault, not at fault and investigation) and what i dont think people (ESPECIALLY women) really understand is the number and expense of low speed crashes. These include car park bingles, crashes pulling out of driveways, low speed merging ect. These FAR outseed the costs of the more rare major crashes (for instance car crashes only account for less than 13% of the ambulance workload and they attend all crashes on the roads even when no one is hurt). Women rate ALOT higher on these types of crashes (why is it that women are incapable of merging BTW? even the really simple kind where front car goes first) and they arnt as cheep as you might expect. when i got rear ended it cost around $2000 to replace the bumper and fix the boot and that was quite a low speed incident. As for the major crashes, a study came out 2 years ago which stated that women were actually involved in MORE major crashes than men now. Also rates of speeding, drink driving and hoon driving amongst young women are on parity with young males now

There for Anti-flag is right, its pure sexisum which is costing male drivers more than female

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

NEVER let someone do this. Demand to see there licence and if they refuse write down there rego. Concidering my insurance company garentiees repairs for the life of the car (even if sold) and there is no loss of rating or excess if your not at fault and can identify the driver there is no loss in going through YOUR insurance. Wether they want to go through theres or pay it themselves is there choice. Further more a simple rear end to my car cost over $2000 to fix. You think you can trust the person who hit you to come up with that straight away?

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Lori, I must say that that incident just struck me as funny as hell! I sat here laughing aloud so much that my dog got up and left the room.

No, nothing like that has ever happened to me. But I did see something similar once at a large parking lot. The woman just backed right out of the parking space without a single glance ....and right into another woman driving along the drive searching for a parking space. At the time, I didn't think it was funny. But your post broke me up. Thanks for a good laugh.

Baron Max

15. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

For one thing, you have to be in the car or see them do the damage. Ever got back to your car to notice a new dent or scrape? Without knowing where it came from you either leave it there or pay yourself to fix it. Also if you do catch them they may not HAVE insurance, or (as I say) you may be in a situation where you have to pay an amount of excess, possibly voluntary(which people opt for to keep premiums lower). It may not be worth it for the damage caused or depending on the value of the car. If you make a claim on your own insurance you risk losing your no claims bonus or facing an increased premium, which can be substantial - Again this may not be worth doing unless the damage is large enough. It really depends on the situation.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

ok i can only speek from Australian insurance companies especially the one PB works for but if you have there name or rego and there is no dispute in liability (ie a rear ender or they reversed into you) there is no excess aplied wether the other person has insurance or not. If your not at fault then the INSURANCE company will recover from that person or there insurance company and it has nothing to do with you except if it goes to court you have to come in and say "x person hit me, this is how it happened, thank you judge" and go home.

Even the 3rd party property policies come with a benifit which means if your hit by an uninsured driver they will pay for repairs (or pay you out) up to $3000.

Your responcability as a driver isnt to insure that the person who hits you has insurance, its to ensure that the insurance company knows who hit you so they know who to recover from. For a while PB was working in whats called "third party direct" which is the department which deals with uninsured drivers to recover the companies expenses for claims where the insured driver isnt at fault. Trust me she NEVER aplies an execess if the person gives her the rego wether they recover or not.

Oh and not at fault claims dont count against no claim bonus and ratings either

17. Bells Staff Member

I had a guy do that to my car in a shopping centre car park. I was sitting in my car waiting for him to reverse out before I reversed out of my spot, since he had started to reverse out first, he had right of way, and instead of turning the wheel, he reversed straight out at high speed and smashed into the back of my car.. which ended up being a right off as the force he hit my car with pushed my car forward into the wall in front of my front bumper.:bawl: I was only around 19 at the time.

My first car and I remember the devastation.. I loved that little car.:bawl:

His excuse? He was talking to his friends in the car with him at the time that he forgot he had to reverse and turn the steering wheel at the same time.

And then of course there was the time that I was reversing out of a car park.. again in a shopping centre.. and the guy waiting to take my spot forgot that I was still there and attempted to drive into it as I was in the process of reversing. *Sigh*..

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

bells, technically that last one is YOUR fault, reversing cars must give way to everything. PB always comes home chirpy after having one of those because people and other insurance companies always try to claim that you would be not at fault but as your last movement was to reverse (even though the other person is a dickhead) the law states your at fault and so it would be 100% against you (the 100% only matters to other insurance companies, for people its always either each bare own, 100% or 0% liability)

19. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Here in the states most plans cover hit and run via the uninsured motorist coverage. So, the idea is that if that have a big dent, they caused it or the at fault parties insurance would cover.

But, I understand your point and I merely look at cars with dents and keep a little better eye on them, if they start doing stupid shit I stay as far away as possible.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

BTW bells, i had an incident like that. I was sitting behind a car reading while he was filling up at a petrol station. When he finished for some reason (god only knows why) he decided to reverse into the front of my car rather than drive forward out of the station. Because i was reading (i had been siting there for about 10 min waiting for him to finish) i had my head down and had no warning when he hit me to brace or put my seatbelt back on and got thrown back and had an aching neck for weeks after that

21. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I've had it written before on a policy that if the other driver doesn't have insurance then the claim itself for repairs will come out of my insurance policy and I'd have to pay the excess. Of course legal action would follow, but at least for the time being the claim would be on my insurance.

Yes, but if the other person is uninsured then it still goes down as a claim on YOUR insurance as they don't have insurance for you to claim off of. Sucks, and you will just sue the driver anyways but still.
    Well providing you can get the reg and providing they're caught(should they drive off), and providing they don't/can't dispute it. Also if they don't have insurance and have stuck around then if it's minor enough that the police won't NEED to be called, they may offer you cash to cover damages and keep quiet. They may do this before you even ask for details, and may do it if they're insured for reasons stated.
    Agreed, but there are situations people will take cash. If your car is old and dented, and somebody swings there door open in a car park and adds another dent, you aren't really going to give a crap about going through insurance to get it fixed - but ask for their details and a lot of people will offer cash to keep quiet, after all they don't want to lose no claims over something so stupid(or worse if they have no insurance and they know the trouble they'll get in).
    Sure if your car is new and pristine or it's major damage then it's different, but there are little things that aren't worth the hassle and people know it so they do the smart thing.
    It should also be noted if the other person disputes your version of events and it becomes your word against theres the claim comes off of your insurance. If it's minor and you know they'll dispute it you might both decide to keep insurance out of it.
    Anyways, we're miles away from the point that not all dents in a car are from bad driving on the part of the driver.

22. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Ah, you're pretty lucky then, I never used to be covered for uninsured hits of any kind, but now I am.

I tend to prefer watching the road rather than checking for dents.

I get your point though, it makes some sense, but knowing poor and young people often drive second hand cars with dents they haven't caused themselves(or even mostly haven't caused if they have caused one or two), I'd have to be fair and not judge them. I find the people who are the biggest pain in the ass are 4x4 drivers, or any other big vehicle or company type vehicles, bloody attitude of "this is MY road and I'M important so move".

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

In my experience immigrant Chinese women are generally lousy drivers, in the the US. So are Somali and Middle Eastern women (not so much the men, that I've met). But Swedish and Finnish and Danish and British and German women seem quite competent. American Red women are competent unless alcoholic. Russian women drive as well as Russian men, which is pretty well. And so forth.

The pattern seems to be political oppression, actually - women from less oppressive and more feminist cultures drive better. This even seems true from within the US, in subcultures.

And my wife is a good driver. Seriously - many years, no at fault accidents, no tickets, gets where she's going in bad weather, decent lifetime on the brake and clutch (yes, she can handle a stick), etc. But she does have trouble parking - at least, far more trouble than she does driving in general. My take on it, after watching her battle the operation, is that she's too worried about doing it "right" somehow.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009