Feynman quote: Physics is like sex-sure it has it`s practical applications,but that`s

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by fellowtraveler, Dec 28, 2009.

1. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

" Physics is like sex-sure it has it`s practical applications but that`s not why we do it. " Richard Feynman ....How can you not love that guy. One of the finest intellects of all time, and he pops out quotes like that. Makes me feel not so bad about myself after all. We humans are not so different, at least many of us. That one I discovered through ANDY THE BOSS at another science forum. I read some of Feynman`s books written for the general public. I am no physicist and could never be one. But still enjoy his books. Anyone out there fortunate enough to have had him as a teacher or wish to share some quotes by him ? .... traveler

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. noodler Banned Banned

Everyone is a physicist. Being a physicist for most people means not having to deal with formal equations and ideas, since "simple" relations and ideas do the job quite nicely.

The "gap" is that formal training and so on, means you can communicate formally and precisely with others, much like musicians who learn to read and compose sheet music can do, whereas musicians who don't learn the formal system need to communicate in another, less formal way (by bashing out a tune, whistling, etc).

Feynman was pretty good at using analogy and simple examples. He was a good whistler.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.