"If we had a vote today in the USA on whether we should allow Muslims to live here"

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by S.A.M., Dec 20, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In a thread on church stops feeding the homeless, Fraggles on topic contribution was

To which I off topically responded:

and received a warning for perpetuating my agenda, which is apparently to respond to comments about Muslims no matter how tenuous the connection.

I assume Fraggle got a similar warning since he keeps inserting Abrahamic religions and Muslims into his posts, tenuously and often. Or maybe as one of the chosen peoples, he gets a free pass.

Anyway, the free thought here is on the "tyranny of the majority"

What is the antidote for it? Besides, secret cabals and dictatorship?

And if we take a vote and accept the majority opinion, is that a tyranny of the majority?

What is a better option than that?

If Americans don't want Muslims in America as Fraggle keeps reminding us, why can't they vote them out?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

In the US, a Constitution defended by an independent judiciary has worked reasonably well over the years.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Worked for whom? The select elite? Or the majority? Do you believe everyone should have the vote? Or is universal suffrage a tyrannical option?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

REPLY: Whether or not you are muslim is not the point. You consistantly take the side of enemies of the USA. I find that very troubling. ...TRAVELER ...IF YOU HATE US LEAVE. I`ll tell you why you don`t. You could not tolerate living under one of these THEOCRACIES and prefer living here.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm not American. My criteria for judging US policies is what Americans would do if some other country subjected them to the same policies that Americans subject on other countries. I think thats a pretty good way of deciding if the reaction is fair

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure he was talking to you directly, Sam, but I agree with his sentiment and conclusion. If anyone is in the US that hates it, they should leave. But the reason they don't is because they like it MUCH better here than they did back home.

And I am keenly aware, from your posts over the past couple of years, that YOU certainly like living here more than you did in India.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't know why you thought that, it was the first place where I experienced racism, could not get leave to attend my mothers funeral and suffered extremely from constantly having to educate people about the presence of human beings with human motivations in the world outside America. I returned as soon as I was able. I infinitely preferred Saudi Arabia to the US [I got leave in the matter of minutes when I had family emergencies with transport to the airport and tickets] and I definitely like my own country better.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I always think of Martin Luther King when people say that.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Just from things you've said in the past.

But that doesn't really matter now. The important thing is that the U.S. is now better off by a count of one.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its the most inhuman people I've seen in the world. I was actually expected to write an exam minutes after getting news of my mothers death. If a Canadian professor had not intervened, I would probably have just sat down and written something just to get it over with. They just don't see people as people [especially foreigners]

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The majority.

Including the Muslims in my town, who can build as many mosques with minarets as they want to, and wear hijabs in school and at work, and so forth.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Possibly against the wishes of the majority who were not consulted.

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yes, we do have some thoughtless people - like the one running the class you were in. And I'm also aware there are people who are suspicious (or whatever) of non-nationals but I suspect both of those attitudes are common throughout the entire world - hardly just in America. In fact, it appears those sorts of things are becoming MUCH more pronounced in some European countries.

And about the ONLY reason why Americans are 'welcome' in much of the world is because they bring money with them.

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Nope, you've completely jumped the track. I'm NOT saying there should be any prejudice from Americans - just the the people who HATE us should leave. Nothing at all to do with civil rights even in the remotest sense.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't assume that everyone goes through my experience. No doubt Europeans are as careless or more so about the sentiments of foreigners [they seem to follow the US in practice, even when they appear to oppose it in spirit].

I would agree with the money bit, but I think other things matter too, the Swiss for example, do not care how much money Arabs will or will not spend in Switzerland. Tribalism is still important in many places.

In my personal opinion, in the Middle East people do not consider others as less human, just misguided or deluded for having different beliefs. In the US, they simply do not care what other people think. They think they are better than anyone else and have a right to force themselves on other societies regardless of what people in those societies want. They do not recognise the self determination or sovereignty of any foreign societies and look down on any society which does not resemble their own.

You can travel across the breadth and width of the US and never come upon a native American reference that is salutary to them. To most Americans, they probably do not exist.

19. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

REPLY: NO, in war you are on one side or the other. Americans are the ones who show any concern for civilians. muslim terrorists target civilians and have done so for decades. ...traveler

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

"We don't do body counts"

Even the Nazis were better than that.

21. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

REPLY: You are not an American. What is this WE SHIT ! ! You have no say in what we Americans say or do and you are not one of us. Do you imagine us such fools that we allow our enemies to have any say in what we do ! ! Stay away from me . ...traveler

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I am a human being though. The Vietnam war resulted in the deaths of two million people, the war was lost, the people kept their communist state and it made no difference, except to the 2 million people who died.

What is the point of such rubbish wars? Why not let people make their own decisions? If they are wrong, they will change, if it works for them, why interfere?

23. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

REPLY: This person is an enemy sympathizer at the very least. Stay away from it. I am telling you because I care about you. ...traveler