Loss of common sense, or lack of education?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Omega133, Dec 20, 2009.

?

What do you think is the problem?

1. Education

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Loss of common sense

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. People are not paying attention in school

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Nothing's wrong with people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I'm a freshman in high school, and one of my favorite classes is world cultural geography. My teacher told us a story; a senior in a different school died while playing baseball. He was playing pitcher threw the ball and the batter hit it straight back at the seniors head. The kid died from the impact. So what the brilliant parents did is they sued the company of the bat! For not putting a warning that objects hit with bat move fast.

During Jay Leno's Jay Walking he asked a woman "How many stars are on that flag"(pointing at the American flag). The woman replied "I don't know it's moving too fast to count."

A repair company put a sign on their door claiming WE CAN FIX ANYTHING. Next to it was a doorbell. Hanging from the doorbell was a sign that say's PLEASE KNOCK HARD THE DOORBELL DOESN'T WORK.

I dressed as a WW1 era U.S infantry soldier this past Halloween. It looked very authentic. One man asked "What are you supposed to be?" Two women sitting near the door were handing out candy. One said to me "Nice Civil War costume."

Are we loosing our common sense, is education not doing it's job, or are we not paying attention? Please vote and say why in a reply.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It's probably a combination of a number of factors, although as is often said, common sense isn't all that common (otherwise it wouldn't be so fĂȘted when it does rear its head).
    Maybe it's attributable to a lack of care combined with not paying attention. (As so nicely illustrated by the punctuation/ grammatical errors in your own post).
    People can always claim they "have more important things to worry about".

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Is it loss of common sense for the parents to sue or loss of common sense that they won the lawsuit?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Their is just something odd about someone not knowing about a ball flying fast after hit with tremendous force by a bat. So I'd say both.

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Nah, that particular incident isn't down to lack of common sense or any other "fault".
    It's an example "How can we make money out this?", coupled with a judicial system that "allows" it.
    Do you seriously suspect for one minute that they didn't know that balls travel fast when hit?

9. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

What I've seen in my classes is that people don't care about school. They're too involved with the drama in their lives and such.

10. River Ape Valued Senior Member

I would need someone to explain what "common sense" is before I could answer this question.
    When, as a child, I was asked to use my common sense, I remember that I never felt any the wiser.
    If it implied using LOGIC, for example, was a pretty useful way of ensuring that you spelled a word ronglee.
    Can anyone explain "common sense" to me as a methodology, preferably an algorithm?
    (I never felt Tom Paine understood common sense either.)

11. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Somewhat, yes. But I also understand the greed that people have. But here's something on morality, is it right to use your son's death to get rich?

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ah, here we go, and it's also a response to your previous post (considering the "drama" of their lives to be more important than an education).
    There's a rise in, I dunno, call it selfishness and/ or lack of willingness to take responsibility for your own life.
    In the case of the parents it's "We've had a loss, somehow, some way somebody is going to pay for it. Forget that it was an accident. Forget that it was, in the end, "just one of those things" [not to belittle the kid's death, but how do you prevent accidents totally?]: they wanted SOMEONE to be responsible. And to be seen to be responsible because they couldn't/ wouldn't just accept that "shit happens".
    Likewise with education coming low (if at all) on the list. "I'm the most important thing in my life, and what I want I want now, everything else is secondary..."

13. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

People need to read more books and watch more educational stuff. You can't believe how terrible some people in my class are at math, science, english, history and geography ( I am in the gifted program ). Its just sad.... Its weird, but I WANT MORE CHALLENGING STUFF!!!!!!! THE BOARD OF EDUCATION IS NOT DOING ITS JOB. Most first year university students in their first year don't do so well in math ( in Canada ). I know some people that are so dumb that I want to pull my hair out! Even the gifted program is not satisfying my hunger for knowledge

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

No, its just plain greedy and selfish. It was a complete accident, the parents are just causing problems for society and wasting public resources and time by using the courts when not needed. I think they just want to take advantage of their son's death and get as much out of it as possible.

15. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Yeah, people can't seem to be able to understand it's nobodys fault.

16. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Yeah people need to stop texting all the time. In middle school I was in gifted program a well, my classmates were smart. But now that I'm in high school and not on an advanced team, they seem less intelligent.

17. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

8 years of school ( high school and university ) is only a small fraction of our lives, I don't think people should waste it on partying and such, they should use it for studying and get a good job. Animals ( including humans ) are supposed to have a hunger for greatness and knowledge, that's now we evolve, we don't evolve by doing nothing and being dumb. I am really scared of a reverse evolution of the human race....I don't want the human race to become stupid slobs

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Doesn't it say a great deal about the society they live in that allows such cases to go to court?
    I remember a similar sort of incident in the UK, and it got as far as an initial hearing to check if it was prosecutable. The judge said to the plaintiffs "Have you ever considered using common sense? Case dismissed. Go home and stop being ridiculous".

19. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

You are lucky to get a good class...A lot of people in my class thinks just because we are gifted, that means we will AUTOMATICALLY get into university and get a good job.....They got to understand society doesn't work like that, we will be guilty of not advancing society if we waste our intelligence.

20. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

To Shogun: People are already becoming dishonorable.

To Dywyddyr: It's ok. No apologies neccessary. I'm human enough to admit I make mistakes.

21. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

You serious about the incident?? I agree that people should stop suing people for every little thing, it just shows how corrupt our society is at the core.

22. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I agree.

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Depends on what you mean by "serious".
    Yes, someone in the UK to prosecute a "US-style someone [else] is to blame case" (as we think of them over here), and the judge threw it out of court on the grounds that only an idiot would have got into that position in the first place.