Renaming Things

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

If we can change Pluto from a planet to a dwarf planet, why can't we rename the electric eel to electric fish. Or peanut to pealegume. Or Brazil nut to Brazil seed.

Why can't we rename things once we learn about them better?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I'd like to rename you to Miss Smudgiepoops; no particular reason, the name just poopped into my head.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

Pluto was not renamed it was reclassified. It would be as reclassifying an electrical eel from a "fish" category into a "mortar weapon" category.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so they didn't rename it when they reclassified it? Its still a planet?

8. LostInThought7 Registered Senior Member

It's name is still Pluto. It's just not classified as a planet anymore.

...is what he was saying, I'm thinking.

9. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

No but it's still called Pluto. It's like someone called Joe who has a sex change; and people still call him/her Joe.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so the electric eel is classified as a fish, yet its called an eel. And the Brazil nut is classified as a seed even though its called a nut???
    WTF! How does this not drive everyone crazy!?

11. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

An eel is a fish, same as a shark is a fish, a cod is a fish...what do you want to call them? All nuts are seeds.

Are you feeling ok?

12. LostInThought7 Registered Senior Member

Well, we'll leave it up to you to change textbooks every other year, when our classifications all get reclassified, and change people's vocabulary to include the newest definitions as to not create confusion.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

A lot of animal and plant names are not scientifically correct, but the names are kept most of the times because people are used to them. Sometimes even two completely different and unrelated species carry the exact same name. I think it would be futile anyway to rename a species every time something new is discovered about them.
    That said, scientific names do change if they are found to be incorrect.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

It just sucks having to teach my kids things incorrectly

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It's not incorrect really, because it's just a name. You can teach them that and then teach them what kind of animal it is.
    For example, the Dutch word for 'Whale' is 'Walvis'. 'Vis' means 'Fish' (not sure how to translate 'Wal', but it could perhaps mean 'Shore').
    This does not mean that children here think that Whales are fish. They are taught that whales are actually mammals.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

So they should keep on calling it an electric eel even though its not an eel as long as I explain that its a fish and not and eel. How is that any less confusing than correcting its name? It will only be confusing to one generation!

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Heh, reminds me of a local TV news programme many years ago when the UK was switching over to decimal currency*. They interviewed a few people, most of whom weren't tremendously enamoured of the idea: and then the gem of a comment from one little old lady - "It's confusing. Why don't they wait until all the old people are dead before they introduce it?"

* Bring back the thrup'ny bit!

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't think you realize the impracticality of that. How do you propose names are given?
    Do you want an 'Eagle' to be called an 'Eagle Diurnal Bird of Prey' from now on? Otherwise you still have to teach your kids that Eagles are diurnal birds of prey :shrug:

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what? How is that anything like an electric eel not being an eel? :bugeye:

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Red Panda.
    Not a panda. Not a bear. Not a cat. Not a raccoon. Nor otter, weasel or badger.
    Call it "Red Thingy"?

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think it's similar because it seems you want accurate descriptive names. Not a lot of common names are accurate. Scientific names are unique.
    You can always teach your kids that it's an Temblador.

The Electric Eel (or Temblador) is a member of the family Gymnotidae, common name Naked-back Knifefishes.
    So if you want to be accurate you should call it: Electric Naked-back Knifefish

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yes! Or Red Ewok

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Is an Eagle an Eagle?
    Is an electric eel an eel?