Pale skin, blond hair, blue eyes may have a nutritional origin

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Varda, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Read this theory here

I think it's plausible.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Didn't bother to read...Vitamin D? Old news if so...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I think you should bother to read before you make asinine posts like that.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

8. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I think there is a serious flaw in this, though. People around the Baltic probably ate a lot of fish.
    Maybe he means, that it happened because the grain took so much fish out of their diet. Dunno.

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Ok I read it...they are using cave paintings and an Egyptian woman's(they wore make up ...hellooooo!???) color to determine pigment historically. Dumb idea.

10. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Ok, read it again.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think it's a very interesting read and it seems very plausible.

12. John99 Banned Banned

What color are Japanese people?

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So what happens to black people that live in Europe?

14. Alexander8 Registered Member

Pseudoscience.

15. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Since child mortality rates are so minuscule today it's no longer as significant of a forcing factor in micro-evolution.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm wondering about Native Americans and Eskimos. Aren't they in about to the same environment as Northern Europeans?

17. WillNever Valued Senior Member

"Sexual selection" is one of the reasons. Due to Europe's higher than average life standard, European men and women had more freedom to choose their partners on the basis of physical attractiveness, whereas in the rest of the world the only factors of vital importance were how good of a laborer or nurse you were.

Sexual selection is the only way a recessive type trait could proliferate to such a dramatic extent as it did in Europe. Take blue eyes for example. Physiologically, blue eyes provided little advantage except for increased resistance to snow blindness and night-time vision in northern latitudes around the arctic circle where it was dark for several months of the year. However, blue eyes provided a reproductive advantage that brown eyes did not: the perception of novelty and beauty. It was the initial rarity of blue eyes that made them so striking. By and large, that perception has worn off today but it was huge in Europe many thousands of years ago.

We're still seeing the residual effects of sexual selection among foreigners. There are people on this forum who have gone on record as being of arab or semitic descent (both who are typically uniformly dark haired and dark eyed people) stating they would prefer to date only blondes or people with light eyes. The places they come from and the families they come from have neither of those traits, so they are attracted to the novelty.

18. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Luck is a factor. It is possible that in those small, scattered populations, no one happened to develop the mutation to begin with and if anyone did, it didn't spread far.

There are some different genetic strains for light eyes in other parts of the world. EXAMPLE: You can find a few small groups of people in the middle east who have olive-colored green eyes that are of a different source than the more pale green eyes that were characteristic in people of Celtic descent.

Remember this famous photograph? The girl is from Afghanistan.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I tend to agree with the sexual selection theory, just look at how different species of monkeys are from each other, even when they live in the same area.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so why was paleness, which was an oddity, valued in a partner?

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why not? Someone thought it was pretty. Or maybe it was a mutation in a high ranking person, so it became a status symbol.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so I take it albinism was valued as well???

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not necessarily.