Plato's The Republic

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Norsefire, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Just picked it up yesterday; is it a good read?

So far with what I've read of the author's introduction, I can already tell that I will disagree with Plato on many things, though I still consider Plato in a very positive light. However, like me, Plato so far seems to be anti-democratic and more meritocratic... what he describes as rule by "philosopher-kings", as I myself believe in rule by those with merit and by the intellectual elite, as opposed to the idle and ignorant masses that are not fit to rule.

Still, I am interested in his views on justice that seem, at least to me, so far to be very self-righteous.

What do you guys think of the book?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

It really depends on the translation. The book itself is fascinating to read if you get a good one, though slightly maddening if you happen to agree with the arguments that Socrates dismisses and you disagree with the way in which he does so. Thrasymachus just needed to restate his position.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

It's a historical account of Atlantis.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ogdred Registered Senior Member

Well by now you're probably a good way through it, but yeah I think it's worth reading. I agree with pretty much everything Pandaemoni said about it; Plato doesn't always present all sides fairly. There is a point at which he evaluates various forms of government--democracy included--and compares them to different organizations of the soul. I think you will like it, but then I know nothing about you.

Let us know what you think once you're finished

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Carcano Valued Senior Member

How does that compare with this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucianism#Meritocracy