No Joy,

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I scored 88, in my final exams..

Looks like I won't be getting into psychology..

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What country/state are you in, Challenger78? Is that an entrance rank score, or some kind of average of your marks?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mordea Registered Senior Member

Where do you live? If you are in the U.S, do some university hunting. Depending on the university the entrance score will change.

There's always a way to do what you want to do, it's just a matter of being persistent enough to find a way.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What does it mean when 88% is not enough to study the subject you want?

8. WillNever Valued Senior Member

It means the schools are overcrowded, I'd say. 88% should be enough to study whatever you want. Something is wrong when it isn't.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

That's why I asked whether it was an entrance rank score. For example, 88% could mean that your results are better than 88% of students in the same year, which means that 12% of students have better results than you - about 1 in every 8 students has a better result. If demand is high for a particular course, then that 12% of students will get in before you do.

There are courses in my state that require an entrance rank of over 98% to get in.

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

that is correct. It is an entrance rank score.
    Sorry, I'd just gotten my results when I'd made this thread. It's the Tertiary Entry Rank AKA, UAI, ATAR, etc.

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

NSW, It's an average of my marks which also acts as an entry score.

12. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Did you get a high enough mark for any of your other preferences?

13. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

The ATAR is a rank, not an average of exam marks.

14. kira Valued Senior Member

Does that mean that the entry score (how do you call this? passing grade?) to enter the psychology major is higher than 88?

15. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Can't you retake the exam?

16. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Not until next year. (The HSC exams happen only once a year)

17. WillNever Valued Senior Member

What, why only one chance per year? That's ridiculous that people have to pull their lives on hold for a year because they don't want to adminster some test again? And psychology of all things? Since when was getting into psychology rigorous?

This is Australia we are talking about..? Wow.

18. draqon Banned Banned

Well than Challenger study more and be ready for next year test.

19. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

I am sure that mark is high enough for a mexican uni

20. draqon Banned Banned

Mexico has a university?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I thought that place is full of drugs

21. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Each exam is held at the same time on the same day for every school in the state to prevent cheating.
    You can complete courses towards getting your HSC (Higher School Certificate) over a period of 5 years if you want to, but if you repeat courses in order to try for a higher mark then they take the most recent mark, not the best one.

Also the reason the marks are so high is because the mark to get into virtually every course is determined not by the difficulty but by the demand to get in. The cut off mark for any particular course is the lowest mark that anyone got into that course with.

The result of this is that there are a bunch of "easy" subjects with ridiculous entry marks because they are popular (such as commerce with is about 95 or 96) and other much more difficult subjects that have way lower cut off marks because they are unpopular (such as some engineering subjects with are only in the 80s).

The system makes no sense at all and seems only to serve to drive people insane.

22. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Yes actually it is one of the Best in the Thrid World.

23. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I do agree. However, I am of the opinion that you should be allowed to study whatever in the world is your heart's desire, as long as you show competency for it. If you fail out from that point, *then* it will be on you. But refusing to teach certain people due to a standardized test grade, before they even begin their course of study, is truly insane. There are probably tons of people who can handle the coursework but aren't allowed to do so, all due to their grade on this one test.

If you are able to succeed in the coursework, you should be allowed to study it. Period.