Can you tell to an adult female friend that she is full of shit?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Syzygys, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

My guess is that not. The difference between a male and a female friend, that when the male friend is bullshitting you, well, honestly thinking that he is correct, you can tell him "Joe, you are full of shit, you are debating facts" and Joe still remains your friend. And when proved incorrect, Joe might even acknowledge it.

Now in the case of a female friend, she would take offense even if you were correct pointing out the fact that she is arguing about facts. So I guess to keep the friendship it is just better to keep it to oneself and make a mental note that well, she is full of shit!

Any thought?

I have a female friend who about once a week ends up contradicting me on facts and when I politely offer a bet, she never takes it. I am affraid once the dam is going to burst and I will write a long email proving her wrong on a lots of facts....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

That's a big generalization. Everybody is like that (both male and female). Everybody reacts differently when you call their bluff

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Just call her bullshit. Whatever.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Hmmm Nietzche and I tell eachother we are full of shit all all the time.

Is it different to tell your partner that, rather then just a friend of the opposite sex? :shrug:

How good a friend is this? Is it a friend you can joke around with?

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I have a friend that believes everything ever emailed to her. She forwards them to me and I reply with the proof that its not true, to not only her, but everyone she sent the email to. Slowly but Shirley

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

she has started checking things before sending them out.
    No one likes looking stupid in front of a whole group of people.

If it was a face to face conversation, I'd just laugh and tell her I don't believe it. She's wrong, I'm right, and I'd be good with that.

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, the problem is that I don't want to keep her being wrong. She might repeate the same thing somewhere else (she travels a lot) and then they would think, well, "uneducated Americans".

On the other hand since we meet everyday, there is no point screwing up the relationship. The sad part is that this just shows that seemingly intelligent people can be very stubborn or naive....

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

OK, let's overgeneralize again! Once rape and murder came up, and I stated the obvious: "I would rather be raped than murdered". I assume most people would say the same. She was simply unable to agree with me that being raped is better than murdered, because she had someone in the family who had a terrible ordeal. So instead of having a rational argument, we ended up in an emotional breakdown of the debate.

Now how can I debate someone who can pull anytime an argument like this: "oh, this is too emotional for me, I can't agree" That is not an argument for fuck's sake!

11. mordea Registered Senior Member

The best way to win an argument is not to have one at all...

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Sure. It is usually a very bad idea to prove your partner wrong, unless one doesn't mind not to have sex. Maybe it is just my style, but people get really offended when I prove them wrong.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why is it so important that she agree with you?
    And seriously, I think there are a lot of people who would rather be killed than raped. Especially if you have been raped before

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Agreeing with me? Not important. Acknowledging FACTS.Important. By the way she does agree with me most of the time.

There is a huge difference between "lots of" and "most".

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But isn't it factual that she would rather be dead than raped?

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

That is an opinion.(it is a fact that it is her opinion) The fact would be: most people would be rather raped than murdered.

When people argue they most often don't realize that there are factual debates and opinion based debates. The later one has no clear winner, except maybe one side presents better arguments, but that doesn't mean that side is right.

Factual debates can be decided by well, checking the facts. That's why I keep offering bets, although gentlemen don't bet on sure. But I am no gentleman.

OK, I will give you an example with her:

We were debating which one was the freest country. Since we didn't give a definition for freest, it was mostly just a matter of opinion. But then I brought up a fact as an argument, namely that America can not be the freest since it imprisons the most number of people (both absolute and relative).

Now this is a simple fact, there is nothing to argue about it, nevertheless she did, which pissed me off. She even said she would show me evidence to the contrary, what she of course never did...

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I didn't know that. I think most men would rather die fighting off their attacker than be raped. At least that's what my husband said

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

America imprisons more people than North Korea? Who kills most of its population?

19. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I think that the right thing to do is to tell them that they are full of shit anyway and not care if they get upset.
    I do that all the time

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

oh I agree. I know I'm right and that's that

21. Manimammal Death from the day I was born. Registered Senior Member

ever heard a little toddler winging and whining about nothing?
    Perhaps those same traits have never been altered and still remain the same, even when people have become mature adults.

To specify why a woman does this, is because since she was a little girl, she would have been having dreams and fantasy's about being loved and nurtured by a man, her "knight in shining armour". So at a subconcious level when these inner hopes and dreams are not forfilled, she will become enraged and angry at her partner.

Still most women will never be mature, even in their middle ages, because they never opened themselves up to seing both negative and positive aspects of a debate or argument and do nothing but try to proove their point in an argument. And since they cannot achieve this, they remain FUCKING CHILDISH !

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you should only have friends who agree with you.

Why would you want to publicly humiliate someone you call your friend? Why send a reply all? What do you want to convince people of?

23. mordea Registered Senior Member

Precisely.

It boggles the mind that so many people get some sort of perverse delight from making their friends lose face. I could understand doing it to your enemies (eg. political opponents), but your friends? What the hell?

As to the OP, what the fuck do you expect? If someone comes at you throwing punches, you raise your arms in defense. Likewise, if someone comes blazing at you with aggressive argumentation aiming to show you how your thought process (ie. brain) are defective, it's only natural that they will clam up or be a bitch back. Maybe you get better results with other men because you aren't as patronising to them, I don't know.