For thos in America who are just as broke as the rest of us...

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by christa, Dec 14, 2009.

1. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/moneymanagement/u/Cut_Costs.htm

I am not sure if it wil lwork for thos of you over seas.. But this websight has great info about how to save some money, and coupons for shopping... Its a nice little helpful sight for these rough times.. *sigh* this crap SUCKS!

now back to packing I go! Enjoy people!! And if this is in the wrong spot enmos, go a head and move it where it needs to be.. I wasnt sure where to put it...
    have a great day fellow sciforum geeks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kira Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the link, Christa. I'm not broke, but I think it's a great site. I like this one for example:

How To Start an Emergency Fund
    By Erin Huffstetler, About.com Guide

Set up automatic deposits.
    Make saving easy by scheduling automatic deposits to your emergency fund. Then, sit back and watch as the balance grows month-after-month. ​

:scratchin:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

i had that set up earler in the year, but bank of america blows ass and it would take out funds from my savings when my main account got under 50, and I couldnt stop it.. and it just pissed me off.. so I'm going to be taking funds out and putting it into another account or a jar and have it be a 911 only thing

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kira Valued Senior Member

Oww.. that sucks..

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You need money in the first place to have an emergency fund.

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

This is how I live regardless of good times or bad.

10. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

i HAD money when I started my fund, then bills took it all.. lol... now noone in this house has money for anything and noone wants to buy a grill or crib! LOL!

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I've been making a nice bit of money at clothing consignment stores. Plato's Closet buys the clothing outright.
    I make more money during the spring/summer when there are yard sales. Buy a nice pair of Hollister pants for $1, sell it at Plato's Closet for $8

12. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

we dont have something like that where I am at now

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

do you sell your daughter's clothing at a consignment store? They price it and you get %40 of the profit.

14. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

no, i use freecycle and pass it to someone who could use them.. when i move i might have that option

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Here are some money saving methods I remember from my childhood:

1. Buy cheap rice, broken rice is cheapest.

2. Water the curries, even vegetables can be make into watery curries to extend them to the whole family.

3. Wear clothes till the holes become obvious. Then, tear them up and stitch the torn bits to make rugs to cover the family in winters. Even raggedy clothes make sturdy blankets with enough layers.

4. Eat meat only once a month. Have milk instead, also watered

5. Completely avoid anything which costs more than a days salary [which includes television, make up, good shoes and clothes]. Wear only hand me downs, if you have little worn clothes, you can resize them for the kids [maybe even more than one ---> this is probably easier with sarees than dresses]

6. Avoid air conditioning and central heating. Use community fires, body heat [whole family sharing one bed] and exercise to keep warm. Use water to keep cool [a rag dipped in water will avoid wastage of water]

My parents had a harder life, so they had even more money saving measures:

1. Have only one outfit. Wash at night [when you wear a slip] and wear again in morning

2. Make cheap snacks and have your children stand at street corners to sell them.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My parents had less than me, and I had less than my kids. My husbands mother has A LOT less considering she was a child of the depression and had their house burn down as well. They took in boarders.

17. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

anyone wanna send me 300 bucks so the phone don't get shut off?

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

gak!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

How long has it been since you paid the phone bill!? damn
    A $300 bill for us would be about 4 months worth

19. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

work has been dead...thats only two months..but i am also paying for christa's phone too..

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why? Why do you need 2 phones?

21. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

its cell phones..i use it for my business..land line is useless,what with telemarketers..

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

oh, we only have a land line. No cell phone bill for us. And we put ourselves on the 'do not call' list so telemarketers don't hassle us.

23. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I switched to Vonage a month ago and don't regret it. I got a new number (which sucks) but I lost all the bill collectors with my new number (which is good). I used to pay $40 for local service and $50 for long distance... $90 per month- now I pay the local company $21 for a dry line and Vonage $33.00 per month.

That $40 I save is a lot of money.

As far as cell phones, I got rid of mine in like 2002 when they started playing games with calling circles, range fees, off peak etc..etc..etc...