When somebody in Pakistan asks you to marry them

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Varda, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2009
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Women are a commodity in poor cultures. As well as rich ones.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What the hell. Is that a burn victim?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Probably acid. Chemical burns are of different types. If you see pics of women burned with white phosphorus in Afghanistan, for example, they look different from this picture.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ah yeah, I followed the link

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

uke:

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, the west suddenly discovered the status of women in poor countries.

10. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

*ehem*...so that's what you look like after an acid attack..shit, they were so pretty before that. Poor patriarchal societies..men who can't take a rejection because it hurts their stupid pride *shakes head*

11. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Has it really just something to do with the fact that those are "poor" countries, or is it a cultural thing? You know..religion, culture..

I know for example that aristocrats used to immure their "unfaithful" women, and these aristocrats weren't.."poor".

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What do you think? Is it a cultural thing?

13. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Please, see edit in my previous post.

And yes, why would it just be because of poverty? These girls can afford plastic surgery, so I presume that they aren't exactly poverty-stricken.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So if statistics continually show white men rape more women than black men, is it a race thing?

Thats usually how the data is seen. Socio economic status correlates to violence against women. Sometimes landed "gentry" are also prone to it, when power issues are at play. In Anglo-Indian writings for instance, the rape of Indian women by white men was common under colonialism, the instances of rape of white women by Indian men became common in literature after the mutiny.

The power over women is a frequent corollary in colonial writings [where settlers come to "virgin" lands, for instance and "save" them from their pagan overlords]. You can see the same theme in current wars, where everyone is saving women by massacring their families. Note that the women saved generally only live in the countries already invaded, under occupation or about to be invaded. Womens rights in allied countries have very little need for review. Note that you never actually see, hear or know the opinions of these liberated women, since they are not really important enough to get media time, unless they have been disfigured by the enemy

The ones disfigured by allies are of course, all collateral damages

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  15. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Skin colour has nothing to do with culture. Caucasians are in many different countries and therefore grew up with a different culture, e.g. French are culturally different from the Germans, just like Afro Americans won't share the same "cultural" outview on this world as the Africans who live on the African continent, and even these Africans are divided into different tribes with different customs and culture, in other words..skin colour, or racially-based questions like yours are..well..what can I say..:shrug:

Wouldn't this mean that this behaviour towards women is mainly a cultural thing? Respect towards women is a cultural thing, too, no? You have cultures where they worshiped women, and then you have other cultures where women are..well..just some stupid birth-machines that ought to better shut the fuck up or they'll end up dead?

Well, I don't think that the allies are invading to come there to burn women's faces because of some pride thing contrarily to the men there who throw acid into these women's face because they got rejected, or because these women aren't meeting up with the social, or cultural standards of said country. Big difference there, S.A.M.

16. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

But that's different. You asked me whether the rape thing has anything to do with the men's skin colour. Whether it matters what skin colour a woman has to heighten the probability for her to get raped, or whether it influences men of a certain skin colour is completely different to the question you posed..but this, for instance, I think is certainly a factor.

17. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

What kind of acid is being used for those burns?
    And how do they obtain it?

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I gave you a parallel example to show you how "culture" can be defined.

Acceptability of violence, by and large is common in post-colonial countries just as it is in war torn countries because their personal experiences with violence set the bar higher. Hence the most horrendous instances of violence are found in countries where war is recent history or current paradigm. The area of Pakistan figured [NWFP] has been a war zone for the last 100 years, on and off, for them "violence" is normal. There is also extreme poverty, which means there are fewer opportunities to educate people on the unacceptability of violence [an ongoing occupation makes this harder, not easier]. When people grow up seeing body parts splattered in the neighborhood as a matter of course, there will be violence. perhaps you have such educational programs in your own country where people are taught not to blame the victim for their own shortcomings

I suppose you could say, they are brought up in a culture of violence.

Battery acid is the most common one used in India. They started in Asia around 20 years ago. Apparently historically, it is an European thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_throwing

It also happens elsewhere but is not as interesting

http://gabriellestory.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/05/o...81-columnist-blinded-by-acid-attack-dies.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...s-face-disfigured-boyfriend-Daniel-Lynch.html

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Islamic countries

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ah yes, they recently discovered the status of women in Islamic countries

Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

your attitude plays a very important role in this respect sam.
    it's no secret that you are anti western and more importantly anti american.
    could this be the reason you weren't "treated with respect"?

22. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I like how it took about four posts for this thread to somehow be related to the US....and their status as rapists.

23. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

that's soooo horrible.. i encourage a brainstorming thread on torturing methods suitable for the ugly bastards with low self esteem..